Owl Cam failed. Credit Card Extended Warranty will not help (Not sure which forum to post)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 13, 2018
In July I purchased an Owl Cam on Amazon. The unit is under the 1 year warranty from Owl (https://owlcam.com/) and because it was purchased on the Amazon Visa from Chase it has a second year of warranty., Within the last 3 weeks, the unit has failed to power on. Support at Owl is now non-existant because they were purchased by Xirgo. if you go to owlcam.com you get the message below

Owlcam assets were recently acquired by Xirgo Technologies, a leading provider of industrial IoT technologies to fleets and enterprise partners.
Support for consumer Owlcam subscribers and new Owlcam purchases is temporarily suspended while the next steps are being determined.
We appreciate your patience and support during this period.
Please stay tuned to this page for further updates.

I do not know if the problem is the power cord or the unit itself. I cannot buy a replacement power cord. The support agent at Chase (or whoever is handling the claims) said because the camera is considered an Auto Accessories and they are excluded, the claim would be denied if we submit one. I don't believe a Dash Cam should be classified as one. Either way, I was told I would need a repair quote for them to even consider coverage. This brings me back to square one because I can't get a repair quote because support is suspended.

I now turn to the forum for advice on who to contact and the best way to get either a refund either full which is my first choice or a working camera.

Apr 10, 2017
I did a search and found the following article from PC World.
The last few lines say that the purchaser MAY be looking for a way to support users. The purchaser is a private equity firm. I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
I did a search and found the following article from PC World.
The last few lines say that the purchaser MAY be looking for a way to support users. The purchaser is a private equity firm. I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck.
Unless the new owner Xirgo provides customer support for your Owl, I'm afraid the news isn't good. Have you researched Xirgo to see if they have made any announcements? Can you find a repair shop (I know it's a long shot) that could possibly provide you a quote so you could try to put in a claim with your credit card?

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Just to add to the bad news: Even if you convince Chase that the Owlcam isn't a car accessory, they still probably won't cover it. They extend the manufacturer's warranty (ie warranty the product from day 366 to day 730). Since your camera failed in the first year, it is Owlcam's responsibility (even though they are no longer in operation).

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Just to add to the bad news: Even if you convince Chase that the Owlcam isn't a car accessory, they still probably won't cover it. They extend the manufacturer's warranty (ie warranty the product from day 366 to day 730). Since your camera failed in the first year, it is Owlcam's responsibility (even though they are no longer in operation).
Right: those credit card warranties extend the warranty provided by the manufacturer. Since the Owl malfunctioned in the first year, they would be the entity to provide coverage.

I'm really sorry this happened. Hopefully the new owner Xirgo will make good on their initial statements and eventually provide customer support.

Jun 13, 2018
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I wis the US had stronger laws to protect consumers in a situation like this. Smd.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Hopefully the new owner Xirgo will make good on their initial statements and eventually provide customer support.
I don't think Xirgo has said they will support Owlcam's customers. Xirgo is a fleet management company--They don't sell to or support consumers. And they only bought Owlcam's IP and other assets--not their warranty obligations.

OP's best hope is that Owlcam will contract with another firm to provide for warranty service as part of wrapping up the company.