Overseas Adventure Travel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 13, 2020
My wife and I paid Overseas Adventure Travel Boston, MA $19,708 for a trip to Portugal and Spain 4/28/2020-5/14/2020 which was cancelled by OAT because of the Corona Virus.
We received notice of cancellation on 3/18/2020 and were offered a full refund which we accepted.
On 4/3/2020, we received a second notice withdrawing the refund and applying the full amount to a future trip. We declined a future trip and demanded a refund. Despite repeated contacts with OAT, the company refuses to refund our money. $5320 of the payment was for airfare with United Airlines and Lufthansa. We understand the US Department of Transportation has mandated prompt refunds for Corona Virus related cancellations by the airlines.

We would appreciate help in obtaining a full refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We’ve had other complaints about this company. The DOT mandates if the airline cancels the flights, the airline is obligated to provide a refund. Did the airline cancel the flight? Or did OAT cancel your flights before the airline did?

Have you contacted your credit card company and filed a dispute?

Apr 13, 2020
We’ve had other complaints about this company. The DOT mandates if the airline cancels the flights, the airline is obligated to provide a refund. Did the airline cancel the flight? Or did OAT cancel your flights before the airline did?

Have you contacted your credit card company and filed a dispute?
We booked the flights through OAT and not directly with UA or Lufthansa. I believe OAT cancelled the trip and the flights.
Yes, I have filed a dispute with the credit card company but have not heard back from them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
OAR
We booked the flights through OAT and not directly with UA or Lufthansa. I believe OAT cancelled the trip and the flights.
Yes, I have filed a dispute with the credit card company but have not heard back from them.
OAT has I believe 30 or 45 days to respond. I think the dispute is your best option. Let us know what happens.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wow, this is the first I've heard about a refund offered and then declined two weeks later. OAT is owned by Grand Circle Travel, a reputable company with whom I've had several great trips. They're customer-oriented. I suspect that someone at OAT stepped out of line to offer the refunds in the first place. Many corporations may not have enough cash to be offering customers refunds, especially at the "beginning of the season". However, that is not your problem. I would make a list of the facts to have ready in case you need them. If your CC does not allow the dispute to stand, please come back to us. They've offered you a refund, you deserve to receive that refund.

I must tell you that I would have no problem accepting a credit towards a future trip with OAT. It would have to be booked and insured ... with coverage for financial insolvency, just in case. Travel companies going down is a very real concern. They may be well managed, they may have great track records, but if they run out of money, that's it for them. If your booking is still alive online, I would use the "Ask Harriet" feature to request some help.

Reactions: Patina
Apr 13, 2020
After repeatedly emailing Harriet Lewis and filing a complaint with the Boston BBB, I received a call from an OAT customer service executive on 5/1/2020. I was told I would be receiving a full refund via the method paid which was a Capitol One Visa card. I am satisfied with this unexpected response.
Although I understand tours with OAT Travel are highly rated, I am concerned that a trip in April 2021 may be prevented by the ongoing implications of the SARS-CoV-2 virus pandemic. In addition, I am concerned about OAT filing a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy which would result in a complete loss of $19,709.
I appreciate your help. It’s nice to see a travel company at serious risk behaving in an ethical and responsible manner.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they were truly responsible, they would have refunded you instead of making you jump through hoops for a refund.

I hope everyone takes a good look at companies they used and how they behaved in this when decided to use thrm again or not.

Apr 13, 2020
I agree, Neil. I shouldn’t have needed to go into aggressive mode to obtain a justifiable fund. I am pleased to receive a refund but it was not due to a customer interest decision by OAT Travel. It was due to a fear of a public relations consequence.