Over 70 doctors note

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There is an update today. My wife was on a call with Royal Caribbean and they removed the requirement of the doctors letter. They claimed they were following CLIAS’s guidelines and CLIA removed the letter requirement. That could change since CLIA is drafting a response for cruising going forward.

This is what Royal said:

Future health requirements and safety protocols are still being defined for the cruise industry; however, at this time, a health form is no longer required for those travelers age 70+, nor are there restrictions for those guests with underlying health conditions. As you know, our current environment remains very fluid, thus, changes to these guidelines may occur down-the-line. Our return-to-service protocols may look very different in coming days/weeks so, as more is finalized, updates will be shared accordingly.
Thanks for this, Neil. I knew it was all a knee-jerk reaction that made no sense, but it's nice to see such a ridiculous idea buried "formally".

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I understand what you are saying...but did the federal government really come down with this ruling...other cruise lines are not using this only Royal Carribbean. It was on a cruise association website as a suggestion to members, but I have heard it has been deleted. Would it not constitute a change in contract , that I would not have been in agreement with, because it came about after the FCC was given?.....
Please read this article from The Points Guy today. It elaborates on the whole situation and might provide a little bit of clarity for you. I agree with the advice to just sit and wait for a while. The whole situation about seniors cruising is very fluid at the moment.

Reactions: Skippy and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
From this story, this week on Royals agent page,a state nt was posted saying anyone with chronic conditions wouldn’t be allowed on, regardless of age and one example was a 40 year old with diabetes.

“In addition to new rules that would restrict some older travelers from cruising, Royal Caribbean and several other lines since March have discussed new rules that would restrict passengers of any age suffering from certain underlying medical conditions from sailing. The conditions would include things like diabetes, chronic heart disease and cancer. But several lines now say that such restrictions likely are off the table, too.”

When travel agents found this it spread like wildfire and many called their BDM’s. My wife called hers and he didn’t even know about it.

By the end of the day, the statement was removed from Royal and the next day on a conference call it was announced that all requirements were removed after reviewing a revised CLIA statement.

Can you imagine not letting anyone on the ship who had diabetes or asthma or something similar?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That would leave pretty much only children (and even some of them would be left on the dock) to cruise! If the pandemic didn't kill your industry, restricting many humans from cruising definitely would.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That would leave pretty much only children (and even some of them would be left on the dock) to cruise! If the pandemic didn't kill your industry, restricting many humans from cruising definitely would.
It was removed as soon as people started complaining because no other cruise line had restrictions like that. NCL’s doctors note for those over 70 was just that they were fit to cruise.

But in any event, the note requirement for anyone is gone right now unless CLIA changes their minds.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
CLIA needs to decide what area of liability they are interested in protecting:
1. protecting cruisers from death ?
2. protecting cruisers from being infected by disease/virus/bacteria?
3. prohibiting cruisers from infecting others from disease/virus/bacteria?
4. protecting themselves from being liable for any of the above ?
Until they know exactly what their goal is, they will be just scrambling to cover somebody’s backside, with sliding criteria over and over again.
Additionally, there are no surefire, blanket exclusions that would protect everyone in all cases.
These types of issues require all parties to act in a moral and ethical manner to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Life, lived to its fullest (which for some includes cruising,) is full of danger.
We must all bear some/most of the responsibility of protecting ourselves, as we are the ones who have the knowledge to do so, much more than some government bureaucrat.

We were originally scheduled to cruise on Celebrity April 21...Celebrity cancelled. Said we'd get 125% future cruise credit, OR refund. We CHOSE REFUND. We were assured partial refund within 14 days, then remainder within 30. When that didn't happen, we continued to update our request for refund. FORTUNATELY, because of my past experience cruising!! and ALL THAT I'D LEARNED FROM THIS WEBSITE, we purchased travel insurance, and also used our Costco Visa card. We never have gotten any refund from Celebrity, but do continue to get assurances that 'temporary delays, billing cycles, etc etc' are reasons for the delay and it will come eventually. Regardless, we initiated a dispute with our credit card company and they have credited us the full amount ... that would change should Celebrity contest it, but we kept written documentation proving Celebrity cancelled the cruise. Gotta think now that Celebrity...like most cruise lines...are hemorrhaging cash like crazy and hoping to stall until things 'settle out'....why ELSE would they do something as INSANE as suddenly start requiring a blanket doctors note for all over 70...POOH. Bottom line, I fear the future will look nothing like the past.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
CLIA needs to decide what area of liability they are interested in protecting:
1. protecting cruisers from death ?
2. protecting cruisers from being infected by disease/virus/bacteria?
3. prohibiting cruisers from infecting others from disease/virus/bacteria?
4. protecting themselves from being liable for any of the above ?
Until they know exactly what their goal is, they will be just scrambling to cover somebody’s backside, with sliding criteria over and over again.
Additionally, there are no surefire, blanket exclusions that would protect everyone in all cases.
These types of issues require all parties to act in a moral and ethical manner to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Life, lived to its fullest (which for some includes cruising,) is full of danger.
We must all bear some/most of the responsibility of protecting ourselves, as we are the ones who have the knowledge to do so, much more than some government bureaucrat.
EXTREMELY well said, mmb! This was just a knee-jerk reaction by CLIA that made no sense to anyone ... and probably not to the people who made the decision ten minutes after they made it. Cruising is a lovely way to travel, a no-brainer, hedonistic time to enjoy yourself. There are a lot of people on a cruise ship. Every pax must take steps to keep himself healthy. Just like swabbing down your seat on an airplane, you have to keep yourself disinfected during a cruise. Most people have been doing that for years. And I'll bet 99.9% of travellers will keep these good hygiene habits for the rest of their lives.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We were originally scheduled to cruise on Celebrity April 21...Celebrity cancelled. Said we'd get 125% future cruise credit, OR refund. We CHOSE REFUND. We were assured partial refund within 14 days, then remainder within 30. When that didn't happen, we continued to update our request for refund. FORTUNATELY, because of my past experience cruising!! and ALL THAT I'D LEARNED FROM THIS WEBSITE, we purchased travel insurance, and also used our Costco Visa card. We never have gotten any refund from Celebrity, but do continue to get assurances that 'temporary delays, billing cycles, etc etc' are reasons for the delay and it will come eventually. Regardless, we initiated a dispute with our credit card company and they have credited us the full amount ... that would change should Celebrity contest it, but we kept written documentation proving Celebrity cancelled the cruise. Gotta think now that Celebrity...like most cruise lines...are hemorrhaging cash like crazy and hoping to stall until things 'settle out'....why ELSE would they do something as INSANE as suddenly start requiring a blanket doctors note for all over 70...POOH. Bottom line, I fear the future will look nothing like the past.
Hi, Jo! I remember a really wild experience you had with RCCL and Costco Travel some time ago ... did you ever get to cruise somewhere? So refreshing to read your words of understanding about the "reluctant refund" situation that's going on now. Travel companies don't like to annoy their customers, but in a situation like this, many companies have little choice. A great many people don't seem to grasp that concept.