orbitz not honoring price guarantee on cruise reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks VoR61 - I completely reviewed all the terms and conditions on the Orbitz Price Guarantee page

From Orbitz Price Guarantee Checklist
[1] Are the travel dates the same? Is the site where you found the lower price in English? Is the lower price in U.S. dollars ?
[2] Are the cruise details the same (length of cruise, cruise line, cabin class, etc.)?

And then these conditions (pasted below) were satisfied from the Orbitz terms and conditions - Notified within 24 hrs, Exact itinerary match, Same room/cabin type in cruise, Comparison Rates available to general public (not a group rewards, not a promo, not a coupon), Rate in USD. Not just that, I sent them screenshots taken at 1hrs, 6hrs and 15hrs after my booking (the screenshots included the clock on my computer and timezone)
  1. Notifying Orbitz of a Claim. For Stand Alone Flights, Cruises or Car reservations, you must file a Price Guarantee application form within twenty-four (24) hours after your Orbitz.com booking; for flight+hotel at least 48 hours after booking, and for hotels, at least 2 days before your check-in date to make a claim under the Price Guarantee. The lower rate must be available for booking at the time you contact us, as determined by our customer service representatives.
  2. Must be "Apples to Apples" Comparison. The Price Guarantee is available only for exact itinerary matches. For example, the specific airline and cabin class (First, Business, Premium Economy or Coach/Economy), hotel (including room type), ship and cabin category, rental car company and vehicle class, applicable refund policy, and the exact same dates and times of travel or service as booked through Orbitz.com.
    For any stand-alone product booking (for example, a hotel room or an airline ticket), the comparison must be to the same product purchased stand-alone through another website (i.e., not part of a hotel + air travel package).
    The Price Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the carrier, property, rental car company, itinerary or similar booking details are unknown until after purchase. You must meet all requirements imposed on the lower price (if any), including, without limitation, residency, regional and age-related requirements.
  3. Comparison Rates Must Be Available to the General Public Online. The Price Guarantee applies only to prices both advertised and available to the general public on an English-language website.
    For example, this does not include rates offered on:
    • Membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates
    • Group, charter, rewards program, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator or interline prices
    • Prices obtained via auction or similar process
    • Prices available only by using a coupon or other promotion not offered to the general public.
  4. The lower rate may not come from a website where you call to get the rate, or from an e-mail that you received. In addition, the rate must be quoted, booked, and paid for in US dollars.
  5. Important Note Regarding Cruises. The Price Guarantee applies only to the cost of the cruise. Taxes and fees, and any additional items, such as air or land components, insurance, the Cruise Protection Plan, shipboard credits, transfers, pre- or post- cruise hotel stays, onboard amenities, gift cards/certificates, cash back and/or dollars off are not eligible.
    To qualify for the Price Guarantee on a cruise booking, you must have either paid in full or paid a non-refundable deposit on the booking. If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise.
But you didn’t send the full screen print but you are right- no where it does it say they required the full screen print print. I would fight them on it using our Company Contacts. No where does it say that you needed to send a full screen shot including taxes and fees but it does say they won’t pay on fees and taxes so why do they then require that?

If our company contacts aren’t valid there is a form
to complete to advise us that the emails aren’t valid.

Reactions: VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You are correct about "bounce back". That's a tech term meaning that it states that the address in "invalid". The "last day" is simply a rule that was set up by Holly (or someone on her behalf). Nonetheless, it says to contact [email protected], which I have validated for you. Use that . . .

Aug 13, 2018
After 3hrs on different phone calls, I can state that I could get a Orbitz Rep to verify that my "price match claim" was genuine and the rep agreed to process a refund.

Long story below - and other useful information too:

[1] I submitted a claim via Orbitz Price match guarantee website and 24hrs later the claim request got rejected. The email stated
Dear Guest,
We have received your for Best Price Guarantee request however,
The screenshot that was submitted does not show the gross total which does include General Excise Tax. Which does reflect on Total balance due.
We are very sorry
Thanks for choosing Orbitz
If you have further questions, please contact Expedia Customer Service at 1-800-EXPEDIA (1-800-397-3342) or 1-404-728-8787
[2] I emailed them saying that this is unfair and also included the full screenshot while also mentioning that the verbiage (or garbage) from their own page never asked me for a full screenshot.

[3] When I called the above numbers listed - 1800-EXPEDIA and 1-404-728-8787 - both numbers go thru different prompts before you reach an agent. The agent gets all info about my trip and then says "Oh, sorry - we only handle flights and hotels, for cruises, you need to call 844-730-9892". o_O:rolleyes: Why give telephone numbers to call when they are not pertinent to the relevant department?? :mad::mad:

[4] I call the 844-730-9892 number and speak to an agent about my case for about 20 mins. The agent keeps stating "we have addressed your claim request and the information is incomplete". I keep stating that I submitted what was asked for, but if you wanted a full screenshot I also emailed you. The agent goes "well, you sent a full screenshot after the 24 hr expiry" . I told the agent that this is not fair and the Price Guarantee looks more like a gimmick as "jsn55" alluded to in Post #10

[5] I then came to forum.elliott.org and looked up Orbitz info https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/orbitz/ - to find Holly Gillespie email. That did not work.

[6] I then used the Orbitz number listed at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/orbitz/ and called up 312-416-0018 Big Thanks to Elliott Advocacy forum.

[7] After explaining my case to the person who answered the phone, he said "this is the Orbitz main office number and we do not handle cruises". I said I don't care - I purchased a cruise ticket via Orbitz, so you find whom to connect my call, explain my situation and then transfer the call. He was not happy about it. I also mentioned to him that I am going to seek help from elliott advocacy forum to seek resolution with my case.

[8] The agent said he will talk to his supervisor and then the supervisor came online, spoke with me and transferred me to Alex in the "Cruises section" within Orbitz. Alex wanted me to explain my situation - I told him that I have exchanged different emails with the Orbitz Support Email and I can forward the same to his email. Alex was initially reluctant to share his email but he gave in and shared his email

[9] I sent the email to Alex and he looked thru' all the threads and said "in principle I agree that your claim is genuine - let me talk to couple of people here and see what I can do". I was intermittently on hold for about 45 mins. Finally, Alex verified that my claim was genuine and sent an email to state that "money will be refunded after my travel". I mentioned to Alex that the Orbitz Price Match Guarantee page has 2 conflicting messages within "Terms and Conditions" as mentioned below
Bullet 3 in Terms and Conditions - Travel must be completed in accordance with the booked itinerary to be eligible to receive refund or credit.
Bullet 10 in Terms and Conditions - Verification of claims - Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification.
[10] I suggested to Alex that I be provided the refund for the Price within the next 10 days but Alex would not accept my request - he kept stating Bullet 3 and I kept stating Bullet 10

[11] Finally, I gave up and accepted the offer for refund "after travel is completed". I wanted everything documented in an email and he accepted that request of mine and sent an email...

All the above makes me wonder if I should take up travel law/rights as a profession :)

Note: I can share Alex's email to any moderator on this forum if you think the larger audience will benefit and based on guidelines, the moderator can decide if the email can be posted on this forum within Orbitz contacts.

1-844-779-9942 is the Orbitz Cruise Customer Service Number - Business hours are 5:30 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific

Hope the above helps someone.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Sep 19, 2015
I think the full pages and totals would be something that is needed to be seen — to be sure there was no promotion code put in the end or something like that.

Did you take screenshots of the entire price break down or just the pages with the intitial prices.

Sep 19, 2015
orbitz needs to make their rules more clear — but they must have found the price you found and saw that it was legit.

Half the battle is getting past the first level of customer service to the right person

Aug 13, 2018
I think the full pages and totals would be something that is needed to be seen — to be sure there was no promotion code put in the end or something like that.

Did you take screenshots of the entire price break down or just the pages with the intitial prices.
I had both screenshots. The entire screenshot with total cost and the a snipped screenshot of this to show only what they ask for.

Why provide more information than what is needed - the Price Match page only asked for the main fare - see image below

1552450340846.png1552450340846.png

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
It would be interesting, should you have the desire, to email an Orbitz executive about your experience. Assuming they truly care about their products and services, they would want to know how much you went through to validate that your efforts complied with their requirements.

If so, you can post your proposed email here if you like so we can review and comment. In any event, nicely done!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you should write to them because it doesn’t state anywhere you need the entire invoice - they don’t count taxes and fees so why did you need anything other than the cruise fare?

Report the inaccurate information here:

https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/

I would still write to the Executives and suggest they change the wording in the guarantee to reflect they need the full screen shot.

Feb 3, 2017
I agree with writing and letting them know about your experience.

My guess is that many travelers have lost out on monies in similar situations because they accepted Orbitz' initial denial and didn't pursue it further.

There are quite a lot of companies where you are given the "customer service" phone number, go through the whole motherlode of options on voice mail, finally get to talk to a human only to be told it is not the correct number. Just went through this recently with Federal Express. I had to step away from my phone and the problem for a few hours before diving in and going through it again to finally reach the correct person.

Good for you for being dogged in dealing with this and ultimately reaching someone who was ultimately helpful.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
Bullet 3 in Terms and Conditions - Travel must be completed in accordance with the booked itinerary to be eligible to receive refund or credit.

Doesn't this mean you have to take the cruise before you are eligible for a refund and that's why Alex kept quoting it? When is the cruise? It sounds like you will get the refund within 7-10 days after submission, which can't be done until after the trip is completed.

You've done a great job advocating for yourself and creating the paper trail to back up your claim.

Reactions: whattonameit
Aug 13, 2018
I think you should write to them because it doesn’t state anywhere you need the entire invoice - they don’t count taxes and fees so why did you need anything other than the cruise fare?

Report the inaccurate information here:

https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/

I would still write to the Executives and suggest they change the wording in the guarantee to reflect they need the full screen shot.
Thanks Neil. Whom do you suggest I send the email to?

I have already reported the inaccurate info. Holly's automated email states to contact "Ramses Meijer" and VoR61 has verified the email. Would Ramses Meijer be the person I should send the email to?

Aug 13, 2018

Doesn't this mean you have to take the cruise before you are eligible for a refund and that's why Alex kept quoting it? When is the cruise? It sounds like you will get the refund within 7-10 days after submission, which can't be done until after the trip is completed.

You've done a great job advocating for yourself and creating the paper trail to back up your claim.
I agree with Bullet 3 - but what would you state about the "Verification of Claims" section in Orbitz Terms and Conditions:
Verification of Claims. All requests, including receipts, are subject to verification by Orbitz. Orbitz will not accept screenshots or other purported evidence of a lower price that cannot be independently confirmed by Orbitz personnel. Nor will Orbitz verify any request that it believes, in its sole discretion, is the result of a printing or other error or is made fraudulently or in bad faith.
For verification of stand-alone car rental and non-prepaid hotel bookings, the customer service representative will instruct you to e-mail an electronic copy of your car or hotel receipt to Orbitz within thirty (30) days after you have completed the rental or hotel stay.
Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification.
My line of argument here was that the price sold to me was unfair and I matched the Price Match terms and conditions. Orbitz verified that my claim was correct - hence I should be refunded this in reasonable time frame and not after my cruise (end of the year).

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Two things: 1) your reference to bullet 10 is actually in bullet 11 of the Ts and Cs, and 2) bullet 10 DOES say . . .

"If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise."​

Now THAT tells me they have to issue a credit BEFORE you sail. I would state that when you write . . .

Mar 15, 2018
WOW! Well, this was a master class in how to self-advocate. BRAVO! Now the big question is...will you get your refund? I sure hope so. I'm not surprised they are making you wait until after completing your travel...I expect they would claim that bullet 10 and bullet 3 are applicable. In other words, both have to have occurred - 7-to-10 days after verification AND completion of travel.

So time will tell if they do what they promised to do and refund you. Please do come back and tell us!

Honestly, I'm shocked that they even agreed to it. As others pointed out earlier, these "guarantees" are really nothing more than marketing tools...it's exceedingly rare for someone to actually be able to make use of them. Every case I've ever seen involves trivial details about the booking that ostensibly make the lower priced offer "different" somehow. Something as arcane as a slight wording difference in the contract, or terms and conditions, can be enough for them to say "Sorry, these are not the same offers, so the guarantee doesn't apply".

Just the fact that you had to jump through so many hoops, and talk with so many people who CLEARLY didn't want to help you, says it all: they don't really mean these guarantees, and they don't want anyone to try to use them. You sure backed them into a corner! ;-)

But you seem to have all of your ducks (and geese and seagulls) in a row. I'm sure hoping they don't find some loophole to get out of it!