Orbitz is holding $500 ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 14, 2020
I booked a roundtrip flight from us to europe back in February. I flew on the day the President called for no flying on March 13 because I had an urgent family matter in Europe. I stayed 5 days and found out the day of my flight that it was cancelled. No explanation, just cancelled due to the 'situation'. I had to book another flight which cost me $500 to return to the US. I have literally tried 54 times to contact Orbitz about the unused ticket to return home and they have ignored me each time I tried. I never get an email, I cannot get into their chat system - it has been saying average wait time 60 days since March. I am so frustrated. How could they just collect so much money and not honor a credit to me? The Secretary Chau of the Dept. of Transportation warned travel agencies and airlines about honoring refunds/credits to passengers for cancelled flights. I also warned Orbitz and Air Canada of this, but they seem to be on top of all the laws and want to cash in to avoid going under.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How are you trying to contact Orbitz? On the phone or using their forms? You won’t receive what you paid for your new ticket, you will only receive whatever the cost was of the original return flight on your trip.

Reactions: Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I tried exactly 30 times - today I was put on hold for 1 hour and 15 minutes and then they hung up on me.
Unfortunately, there have been many complaints for all the OTA’s about this- they cannot handle the call volume. Have you used their email forms?

One thing to remember is Orbitz didn’t cancel your flight- the airline did. Did you try calling the airline? They need to credit you back for the return ticket. You will not get $500 if the original ticket didn’t cost that much- when you purchase a ticket, you are charged one price for the outbound piece of your flight and one for your return. So you are due the cost of the return flight only. Did you by any chance check your credit card statements to see if you were already refunded?

If you click on the red lettering in post 4 where it says Orbitz- it takes you to our company contacts for Orbitz.

This is how you should write to them:

Reactions: Skippy