• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

online travel agency

Nov 12, 2019
I booked 2flight tickets through an online travel agency, Gotogate.com (searched in Kayak and it direct me to this agency website). After the tickets were booked, there was no e ticket & confirmation# provided. All I got was the order # from the agency. I checked the order# in the airline websites, no result was generated. Tried to call the company, but there was only a UK phone # and an email listed in their website at that time (unfortunately, I didn’t print the screen shot). I worried this maybe a scam. I called my credit card company to cancel the payment 2 hours after the booking. My credit card company told me they would block the transaction and reissue me a new card. At the same time, I sent the merchant an email telling them that I could not find any info related to the booking. I asked if the booking has been canceled because I wanted to cancel the booking. I received no human response. A system generated email was sent to me about European personal data protection and asked me to click the link and consent. I worried the link is a scam. I didn’t click it. The next few days, I kept checking on the merchant and airline websites (JetBlue & Azores Airline), there was no result found. I waited a few days, I still didn’t get a response from the merchant. On the 8th day of my booking, I went back to the email, clicked the link and consent then it said I would receive a response in 5 or 6 days . On the 9th day of my booking, I checked the airline website and saw the itinerary. I also noted that the merchant’s website showed the local phone#. I immediately called the merchant and told the Rep I wanted to cancel the flight tickets and asked for a full refund. Since there was no US phone# listed in their website, I initiated the cancellation through email on the same day of my reservation. The merchant stated that my tickets are non refundable. They can cancel the reservation, but I will not get my money back. I stated that I asked about the cancellation within the same day of the booking, but they failed to provide me an answer. Then the Rep told me to contact the airlines for an auth# and explain to the airlines that there were technical issues on their website which caused my delay on the cancellation. He said the company will credit me back once I obtain the auth#. I told the Rep, he should call because I made the reservation through them. The Rep insisted I have to call the airlines. I chatted online with the Rep at Azores Airline regarding the cancellation of my reservation. The airline Rep stated that the tickets were booked through the online travel agency, they would not deal with me, they only deal with the agency. I immediately called the merchant and advised them to contact the Airline. This time the merchant’s Rep stated that I have passed their 3 days cancellation window. I told the Rep that I inquired the cancellation within an hour after the reservation by email. The Rep stated that due to high volume of emails, they cannot answer emails right away and I should have called the UK phone#. I questioned the Rep that I made the reservation through the US website, but there was no US phone in their website at that time, why would I have to make an international call? The Rep said the company based in UK; therefore, I should contact UK. She said they would not contact the airline on behalf of the customers even they are the agents and she is not allowed to contact the airlines because of internal restrictions. She stated I have to call the Airlines. After talking to two Reps, I didn’t get any help or resolution. I emailed the Azores airline for help and explained to the airline that the travel agency refused to get involved. The airline responded that they could not do anything. The airline policy requires the travel agency to contact the airline if the reservation is made with the travel agency. I also emailed the merchant regarding this issue on 11/8/2019, but I have not received any response. I have tried to resolve this issue on my own because the credit card company will come after me if they cannot collect the money from the merchant. I hope you can look into this and help me to get a full refund of $1,543.25 from Gotogate. Thank you.

Sep 19, 2015
If the flights are ticketed why do you still want to cancel?

Online Travel agencies are not required to have a 24 hour cancellation period. Does go to gate say they have one?

Reactions: DanD and VoR61
Jul 13, 2016
I'm with Christina on this. You chose the flights, paid for the flights, got the flights ticketed, so why do you want to cancel?

The entire issue stems from you not doing any research and booking with an unknown (to you) internet company, then panicking and trying to do a chargeback on your credit card. But it appears that you now have the tickets you want, so I would take this a a learning lesson, and in the future, boo directly with the airlines. You can use Kayak to find the flights you like, and then go directly to the airline for booking. Using a third party site like gotogate does not save you any money, and in fact, complicates your communication with the airline (as you have discovered).

Reactions: Skippy and VoR61
Apr 3, 2016
Have you actually paid for the tickets? Your original post says you stopped payment and got a new credit card issued. If this is true, be careful. It sounds like the travel agent says you owe the money

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have a confirmation and confirmation number and you have called the airline and confirmed the tickets- you have tickets.

Some of these companies take a day or two to get you ticketed.

Always check reviews before your buy anything. These companies pay Kayak to be referred and Kayak doesn’t vet them. If it seems to go to be true it usually is. This company has awful reviews and many state there is no phone number for them.

Nov 12, 2019
If the flights are ticketed why do you still want to cancel?

There was no confirmation or ticket#. They provided me their agency's order number and the order number could not be located.
The online agency has a 3 day cancellation window. The airline has 24 hours free cancellation policy. The reservation was not ticketed until 8 days later. The moment I made the reservation and saw the reviews of the company, I wanted to cancel it right away.

Nov 12, 2019
Have you actually paid for the tickets? Your original post says you stopped payment and got a new credit card issued. If this is true, be careful. It sounds like the travel agent says you owe the money
I called Citi to stop the payment. Citi posted the transaction to my account two days later, then removed the transaction and put it under investigation

Nov 12, 2019
I'm with Christina on this. You chose the flights, paid for the flights, got the flights ticketed, so why do you want to cancel?

The entire issue stems from you not doing any research and booking with an unknown (to you) internet company, then panicking and trying to do a chargeback on your credit card. But it appears that you now have the tickets you want, so I would take this a a learning lesson, and in the future, boo directly with the airlines. You can use Kayak to find the flights you like, and then go directly to the airline for booking. Using a third party site like gotogate does not save you any money, and in fact, complicates your communication with the airline (as you have discovered).
I didn't see the ticket until 8 days later. When I booked it with Expedia, I got the airline confirmation right after I hit booked.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Section 3.5 of Gotogate's terms say they use the underlying airline's refund terms, so the 24 hour rule should apply. Their site also says that you can cancel by email or phone (but it does "Note that the flight is not canceled until you have received confirmation").

Hangtang, it's a bit unclear what you said in the email you sent shortly after booking. Did you explicitly ask to cancel the flights or just inquire if the flights had already been cancelled? If you were explicit, I think you have a valid complaint (albeit weak since you never received a confirmation).

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I didn't see the ticket until 8 days later. When I booked it with Expedia, I got the airline confirmation right after I hit booked.
Please stop booking through online travel agencies! The prices are the same when you book directly with an airline and you have direct communication with the airline if/when something goes wrong with your flights. If you have a problem with your flights, you need to work through the agency, not the airline. These agencies are not helpful....we have tons of posts where passengers were left scrambling on their own because the OTA was unresponsive.

Nov 12, 2019
Section 3.5 of Gotogate's terms say they use the underlying airline's refund terms, so the 24 hour rule should apply. Their site also says that you can cancel by email or phone (but it does "Note that the flight is not canceled until you have received confirmation").

Hangtang, it's a bit unclear what you said in the email you sent shortly after booking. Did you explicitly ask to cancel the fliughts or just inquire if the flights had already been cancelled? If you were explicit, I think you have a valid complaint (albeit weak since you never received a confirmation).
Thank you for looking into this. My email to them was not explicit. Here is what I wrote: "I checked the order# in your website and did not see any info. Has the order been cancelled? Please advised." There was no confirmation from them. Does it mean this will be dead case?

Sep 19, 2015

Hangtang, it's a bit unclear what you said in the email you sent shortly after booking. Did you explicitly ask to cancel the flights or just inquire if the flights had already been cancelled? If you were explicit, I think you have a valid complaint (albeit weak since you never received a confirmation).
I believe the section 3.5 refers to the terms and restrictions of the fare — the 24 hour rule is only mandated for direct bookings. When people book on third party website the 24 hour rule is not mandatory.

Sep 19, 2015
Where do you see a three day cancellation period. I tried to make a mock booking from NY to Azores and I saw no information on a 72 hour cancellation period.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I believe the section 3.5 refers to the terms and restrictions of the fare — the 24 hour rule is only mandated for direct bookings. When people book on third party website the 24 hour rule is not mandatory.
My read is the DoT requires carriers to allow cancellations without penalty within 24 hours. They don't have jurisdiction over travel agencies, though, so they can't force the travel agency to pass the refund back to the consumer. Of course, travel agencies are free to pass the refund along if they want (perhaps minus some fees), and most do. 14 CFR 259.5(b)(4)

In this case, though, it's a moot point as the OP didn't actually cancel within 24 hours.

Reactions: Skippy

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Thank you for looking into this. My email to them was not explicit. Here is what I wrote: "I checked the order# in your website and did not see any info. Has the order been cancelled? Please advised." There was no confirmation from them. Does it mean this will be dead case?
I wouldn't read this as a cancellation. Unfortunately, in this case you authorized the ticket purchase and didn't cancel it. You will very likely lose your credit card challenge (and Gotogate can try to collect from you even if you win).

Depending on the fare class you purchased, you might be able to get a voucher for future travel from the airlines. You should check the terms of the ticket.

You can also try writing letters to see if someone will make an exception for you.

Sep 19, 2015
My read is the DoT requires carriers to allow cancellations without penalty within 24 hours. They don't have jurisdiction over travel agencies, though, so they can't force the travel agency to pass the refund back to the consumer. Of course, travel agencies are free to pass the refund along if they want (perhaps minus some fees), and most do. 14 CFR 259.5(b)(4)

In this case, though, it's a moot point as the OP didn't actually cancel within 24 hours.
Yes some online travel agencies do give 24 hours -- there are some that do not, one gives only 4 hours and there is nothing a consumer can do about that.

Sep 19, 2015
I booked 2flight tickets through an online travel agency, Gotogate.com (searched in Kayak and it direct me to this agency website). After the tickets were booked, there was no e ticket & confirmation# provided. All I got was the order # from the agency. I checked the order# in the airline websites, no result was generated. Tried to call the company, but there was only a UK phone # and an email listed in their website at that time (unfortunately, I didn’t print the screen shot). I worried this maybe a scam. I called my credit card company to cancel the payment 2 hours after the booking. My credit card company told me they would block the transaction and reissue me a new card. At the same time, I sent the merchant an email telling them that I could not find any info related to the booking. I asked if the booking has been canceled because I wanted to cancel the booking. I received no human response. A system generated email was sent to me about European personal data protection and asked me to click the link and consent. I worried the link is a scam. I didn’t click it. The next few days, I kept checking on the merchant and airline websites (JetBlue & Azores Airline), there was no result found. I waited a few days, I still didn’t get a response from the merchant. On the 8th day of my booking, I went back to the email, clicked the link and consent then it said I would receive a response in 5 or 6 days . On the 9th day of my booking, I checked the airline website and saw the itinerary. I also noted that the merchant’s website showed the local phone#. I immediately called the merchant and told the Rep I wanted to cancel the flight tickets and asked for a full refund. Since there was no US phone# listed in their website, I initiated the cancellation through email on the same day of my reservation. The merchant stated that my tickets are non refundable. They can cancel the reservation, but I will not get my money back. I stated that I asked about the cancellation within the same day of the booking, but they failed to provide me an answer. Then the Rep told me to contact the airlines for an auth# and explain to the airlines that there were technical issues on their website which caused my delay on the cancellation. He said the company will credit me back once I obtain the auth#. I told the Rep, he should call because I made the reservation through them. The Rep insisted I have to call the airlines. I chatted online with the Rep at Azores Airline regarding the cancellation of my reservation. The airline Rep stated that the tickets were booked through the online travel agency, they would not deal with me, they only deal with the agency. I immediately called the merchant and advised them to contact the Airline. This time the merchant’s Rep stated that I have passed their 3 days cancellation window. I told the Rep that I inquired the cancellation within an hour after the reservation by email. The Rep stated that due to high volume of emails, they cannot answer emails right away and I should have called the UK phone#. I questioned the Rep that I made the reservation through the US website, but there was no US phone in their website at that time, why would I have to make an international call? The Rep said the company based in UK; therefore, I should contact UK. She said they would not contact the airline on behalf of the customers even they are the agents and she is not allowed to contact the airlines because of internal restrictions. She stated I have to call the Airlines. After talking to two Reps, I didn’t get any help or resolution. I emailed the Azores airline for help and explained to the airline that the travel agency refused to get involved. The airline responded that they could not do anything. The airline policy requires the travel agency to contact the airline if the reservation is made with the travel agency. I also emailed the merchant regarding this issue on 11/8/2019, but I have not received any response. I have tried to resolve this issue on my own because the credit card company will come after me if they cannot collect the money from the merchant. I hope you can look into this and help me to get a full refund of $1,543.25 from Gotogate. Thank you.
But you did not initiate cancellation. There are two gotogate websites -- one that ends in com with a US phone number and one that ends in co.uk -- the .com now has a US number and the .Co.uk has a UK number -- one could always call the UK with VOIP and pay little.

Not all online travel agencies have access to live bookings -- it can take time to get a confirmation. As the parent company of gotogate is in Sweden, they have stricter privacy laws and that is why there was an email.

It is true that the airline will not intervene and the ota owns the ticket. And the airline will pass you back to the OTA. The OTA is not going to spend a lot of time helping because time is money for this agency -- this is an OTA that has people buy a support plan -- the premium support means that the company answers in less than 12 hours -- this is how they make money.

I am not sure what the options are -- what are the terms and conditions of the ticket?

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
GoToGate has all sorts of ridiculous add on fees -- like text messages, $11.90 to mail an itinerary and even more shameful is selling AirHelp package for $7.90 -- selling something that AirHelp does for free -- I wonder if Airhelp knows this. But same for the text notifications ...

I have little respect for this OTA.....

Screenshot21 Gotogate.pngScreenshot_2019-11-12 Gotogate(1).png