OneTravel ignored refund request and instead gave travel credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 28, 2020
Last November, my parents booked a Russian river cruise tour with Gate 1 Travel, and booked flight separately with Scandinavian Airline through OneTravel with departure date 5/10/2020, they paid ~$1350 for the tickets. In April, Gate 1 Travel cancelled their tour due to COVID-19 pandemic and gave them full refund for the tour itself. My parents then submitted an online request in April, since there're no other way to reach OneTravel by phone at the time, asking to cancel their flight and get a full refund. One week before the departure date, my parents contacted Scandinavian airline directly on 5/3, they were informed that their flight was cancelled on 4/29, and they should be eligible for a full refund, but they had to go through the travel agency. At that point, they've made multiple requests to OneTravel already, but have not heard back from them.

For nearly 2 months, there were no any form of communication or update from OneTravel. My mom then reached out via online again on 5/25, then finally got an email reply stating their booking was already cancelled with future credit offer, and they have to complete the travel by 11/27 this year. There were no details of when the cancellation was processed or how my parents could receive and use the credit. Both of my parents are close to 80 years old, being in the high-risk group with underlying health issues, there is no way I would let them travel again this year with so much unknowns, they haven't even been outside of the house much since March, I have been delivering groceries and other essentials to them. The time and effort they spent dealing with the travel agency and airline took a lot of energy out of them. At this point, I am just wondering if there is any way they can get the $1350 refund back, instead of letting their hard earned retirement income down the drain. Any pointers, work arounds, recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Airlines only have to refund if they canceled and it leaves/ends in the US. However, that's only if you booked directly with the airlines. Agencies don't have to refund you, but some do.

It sounds like you asked the agency to cancel the flight, but it's unclear whether they did or if they didn't and the airline canceled it. Can you clarify?

Reactions: Skippy
Jun 28, 2020
It sounds like you asked the agency to cancel the flight, but it's unclear whether they did or if they didn't and the airline canceled it. Can you clarify?
That's the part we are not sure either. The airline cancelled the flight on 4/29, but we didn't receive email notification from the travel agency until 5/31 stating the booking was already cancelled. We don't know when the cancellation was processed. Thanks.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
OneTravel has an extensive set of terms and conditions that lay out how cancellations work. The good news is OneTravel does say they will refund you if the airline gives a refund. The bad news is they are going to take a $250/ticket fee, so you can only get back $850. Further, you needed to have requested your refund by phone--not via the web form.

I suggest you contact them via the email address in the Dispute Resolution section of their terms, pointing out that you requested a cancellation via their web form since they were not offering phone service. If they still refuse, you have the option of filing for arbitration or suing in NY small claims court.

Reactions: Neil Maley

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Oops, I missed that you may have cancelled the tickets before the airline cancelled the flight.

In April, SAS was giving 1 year (ie April 2021) vouchers for flights that it cancelled. For flights that were not cancelled, SAS was giving a voucher for that required the outbound flight to depart before November 30, 2020.

From your description, it sounds as if your parents received the second variety, which implies their tickets were cancelled before SAS cancelled the flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That's the part we are not sure either. The airline cancelled the flight on 4/29, but we didn't receive email notification from the travel agency until 5/31 stating the booking was already cancelled. We don't know when the cancellation was processed. Thanks.
That’s why we can’t give you a correct answer. The key to what they are due is if they canceled the air tickets before the airline canceled the flight. If they did, they are only due a credit, not a refund. It sounds like they canceled before the airline did.

We really need to hear from one of your parents, who actually performed the transaction to tell us when they called the travel agency to cancel. The agency itself would have that information.

Reactions: Skippy
Jun 28, 2020
Hi Everyone, thanks for your information. My parents could not reach OneTravel by phone because there were no phone services. They submitted their initial request on 4/6, then again on 5/6, then again 5/25. Within that period of time, they didn't hear back from OneTravel with regard to the status of the cancellation request at all. But I do think the key is to find out when the cancellation was process, thanks for pointing that out. I will ask them to call back the travel agency to find out that information. Thanks a lot!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is this an online booking service? It will be difficult to reach them by phone, and even if an agent does pick up, you never know if they are giving out correct information. Hardly anyone will deal with a third party, so it's important that your parents deal with this and get the ball rolling correctly. I would suggest compiling a concise list of the facts in chronological order ... every details is important when it comes to travel problems. The refund request will be best in writing. Refunds are taking forever, so it may be in process already. Your parents need to find out their status.

Jun 28, 2020
Hi jsn55, they do have a customer service phone number which wasn't working for the past few month. My mom was able to get through to them last week after waiting for 2 hours, and was told that the cancellation was already processed and they can only get the credit. But she didn't ask when it was processed or how they can claim the credit, so now she would have to call back. Being at their age, they are not too computer savvy, I helped them create an online account on OneTravel.com, it shows in the account that the booking was cancelled, but still no detailed information.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think the company probably canceled when they first completed the online request. I know several suppliers were overwhelmed with calls and emails when this first happened and processed cancellations but didn’t get back to people right away.

If that’s the case, they are only entitled to the credit.

Jun 28, 2020
Thanks a lot for the info. I asked my parents to call the travel agency again and find out more information. I am also trying to find out when they need to complete the travel with the credit. If the cancellation request was processed in April, they should be entitled to a one year credit rather than end of Nov this year.