Now Starbucks is changing their loyalty program...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2015
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016...ders-by-changing-rewards-program/?intcmp=hpff

I can hear Chris now especially since this is one of the few he admits to participating in...

I, on the other hand, love this change. I do a number of Starbucks runs for either my house (kids love the hot chocolate) or the office where I currently get one star for 4 drinks....
I am also happy about this change. I almost never go to Starbucks for just myself, so being the cheapskate I am, would have the cashier run the drinks one per receipt. Now, I do not have to, as now I will get credit for those 4-6 drinks I am getting.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Who pays $5 or $6 or more for coffee????? I guess I don't understand the attraction and never have.

Good thing to, as I have many many other expensive bad habits!

Reactions: Mike Z and Warren

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
I buy packages of whole beans --- Costco has 2.5lb for $20 and grocery stores have 10oz for $7. I get one star with each purchase. Will I now need to buy 125 pkgs to get a free item at Starbucks stores? That's not going to work for me. I have gold status for the next 2 years already.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@mmb according to what I read... Its two stars per dollar so, you'd have your free drink just after 3 Costco runs or 9 grocery stops ... As opposed to 12 of either now (or put a different way, your "free drink" would cost you $63 instead of $240 that is costs you now assuming you only buy at Costco)

Mar 17, 2015
Who pays $5 or $6 or more for coffee????? I guess I don't understand the attraction and never have.

I get my nail and hair person drinks when I go in to see them. They appreciate it, so I do it. It is not something that I do for myself very often as that cuts into my discretionary spending for my travel addiction, lol.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
@mmb according to what I read... Its two stars per dollar so, you'd have your free drink just after 3 Costco runs or 9 grocery stops ... As opposed to 12 of either now (or put a different way, your "free drink" would cost you $63 instead of $240 that is costs you now assuming you only buy at Costco)
Well, that sounds ok and I did feel sort of cheated buying the 2.5 lbs and getting one star but the price is really what I'm after, not a free coffee. I usually buy just the tall brew of the day 'cause the other stuff just have TOO MANY CALORIES and I get free refills with gold status.
I buy a lot of coffee beans

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Me neither. Starbucks is just too strong for me, give me Dunkin Donuts or 7-11. But I think it's a good change because why shoudl someone spending 2x as much for a cup of coffee get the same reward as someone who spends half that?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think the whole Starbuck's concept is insane. To stand in line forever and pay a fortune for a (OK, perfect) cup of coffee? Learn to drink something else ... something you can make at home or at the office.

I experimented for months and find that Espresso and Hazelnut 3 to 1 in a french presse makes coffee nearly as good as Starbuck's ... throw in a little caramel syrup and you are set for the day!

Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
I think the whole Starbuck's concept is insane. To stand in line forever and pay a fortune for a (OK, perfect) cup of coffee? Learn to drink something else ... something you can make at home or at the office.

I experimented for months and find that Espresso and Hazelnut 3 to 1 in a french presse makes coffee nearly as good as Starbuck's ... throw in a little caramel syrup and you are set for the day!
I agree, Judy. In fact I think Starbucks is a cult, masquerading as a business. Give me my pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee for $6.49 and I'll brew it at home.

Reactions: jsn55

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Well I don't go to Starbucks often, but if we are out for the day, an activity or shopping w/daughter etc, a grande Starbucks is good fun all day long.

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 18, 2014
Most Target stores have Starbucks coffee shops. It's a nice treat to get a small tea or hot chocolate, and maybe a muffin or a slice of that yummy lemon loaf.

Many of the Starbucks partner with local bakeries for some of their baked goods; the ones here use a bakery in Ferguson, MO that was destroyed in the 2014 riots and has since rebuilt.

Sep 18, 2014
I get my nail and hair person drinks when I go in to see them. They appreciate it, so I do it. It is not something that I do for myself very often as that cuts into my discretionary spending for my travel addiction, lol.
Tanya, my hair & nail person is a Starbucks addict too. I always buy her a Starbucks gift card as part of her Christmas bonus. (She says she doesn't buy there too often. I noticed this year she bought an insulated cup from Starbucks, but it usually holds a cappucino from QuikTrip because they're cheaper!)

Reactions: Tanya

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
This is only better if you buy more than a coffee. My latte, the most expensive drink I ever buy, is around $4 meaning I need to buy around 15 instead of 12 to get a free drink. I usually buy a $3 drink meaning it will take even longer. It doesn't make sense. I wanted them to change the rules to make it unnecessary to do one transaction per item. This change achieves that, but makes it take longer to get free drinks and qualify for gold membership.

Jan 5, 2015
As a Starbucks Gold Card Sucker, I like the change. I hate being stuck behind people who want each drink rang up separately so they can get more stars.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
As a Starbucks Gold Card Sucker, I like the change. I hate being stuck behind people who want each drink rang up separately so they can get more stars.
I agree that it's annoying to need to ring each drink separately to get full credit, however they could have just changed it to get one start per item. They didn't need to change it to be based on the amount spent. They probably realized it was ridiculous giving the same amount of credit for a $2 cookie as for a $5 latte.