No Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 30, 2020
We booked flights for our grandkids to come to visit for their Spring vacation. They could not come 3/21-3/28 due to Covid. Their mother cancelled them due to stress but they were also cancelled by the airline AFTER she cancelled them by phone. If it was not such a huge amount of money $1239.70 we would not pursue this BUT the airline refused to refund the money and said it could be used for further travel up to 2022. Under ANY other circumstances we would honor that rule of no refunds but these are unprecedented times and with no job and being seniors we believe Southwest should refund our money. Those tickets will not be used and we would like a refund. Tickets were purchased by our daughter in her name for 5 people. I would hope there is still a chance to get a refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately if the tickets were canceled before the airline canceled the flights, they are not eligible for refunds.

We have a story about this, please read #5

Sep 9, 2018
We booked flights for our grandkids to come to visit for their Spring vacation. They could not come 3/21-3/28 due to Covid. Their mother cancelled them due to stress but they were also cancelled by the airline AFTER she cancelled them by phone. If it was not such a huge amount of money $1239.70 we would not pursue this BUT the airline refused to refund the money and said it could be used for further travel up to 2022. Under ANY other circumstances we would honor that rule of no refunds but these are unprecedented times and with no job and being seniors we believe Southwest should refund our money. Those tickets will not be used and we would like a refund. Tickets were purchased by our daughter in her name for 5 people. I would hope there is still a chance to get a refund.
Is there no chance that your grandkids will come visit you before 2022??

May 30, 2019
Sorry to say, but because the mother cancelled the flights before the airline did, she is not eligible for a refund.

Reactions: Patina

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Everyone else is correct, but I want to add some color. I had to cancel a SW flight in March because the home port for my cruise closed. Instead we cruised to Florida - which is where I live so no flight home. I asked SW for refund due to this, but was just given the extended travel funds like everyone else. If they turned down someone who wanted to take the flight but the government literally made it so I couldn't, I don't foresee them refunding when you chose to cancel.

I personally think setting the expiration of the funds to Sept 2022 is really generous and gives plenty of time to fly. SW is being even more generous by working on a capability to turn your travel funds into Rapid Rewards points. This is amazing because the points never expire. On top of that you can purchase tickets for other people with points or could transfer the points to another account. I'm pretty sure that since SW is doing this that they will stick hard and fast to their you cancel you get travel funds policy with no exceptions.

Jul 13, 2016
As others have said, you are not eligible for a refund since your daughter canceled the flights before the airline canceled them. Being a senior citizen shouldn't cut any ice with the airline. Everyone is hurting financially right now, including the airlines who have to make legitimate refunds in the millions. The grandkids have vouchers to use with a generous expiration date. Hopefully, they will use them to come see you next year.