No refund on canceled ADA vehicle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 20, 2020
On January 2, 2020 we made a reservation for an accessible vehicle we needed for our handicapped adult son, through Wheelers van rentals in Phoenix AZ. AT the time of the reservation they required the total amount of the rental up front $1,007. I told them this request seemed unusual, no other entity ever requested a full payment upfront, but did authorize the CC payment. Our reservation was from 5/31/2020 - 6/6/2020.
Our original reservation was made January 2, 2020 and we requested a refund April 15, 2020

Since the pandemic we have, unfortunately, had to cancel all of our reservations, airfare, accessible rooms, etc. All have been very supportive. We emailed Wheelers, and then followed up with a phone call. After the phone call, Wheeler Vans they said until they find out if they have the support from the SBA grants they could not guarantee our refund. Can you help? They have $1,007 of ours.

Apr 20, 2020
If your reservation falls during a major holiday, there is No Cancellation once you make your reservation. Holiday reservations require a 3-day minimum rental (4 days for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day).
Cancellations must be done 3 days or more prior to the start of your rental for a refund, minus the $100 nonrefundable deposit.
Parking at airport or other places which have parking fees; you will pay for parking when you pick it up and we pay for the parking when we pick it up.

Apr 20, 2020
Thank you we will email Wheeler's one more time to let them know we plan to file a dispute if we do not receive our refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you we will email Wheeler's one more time to let them know we plan to file a dispute if we do not receive our refund.
I would remind them of their own cancellation policy when you rented and say that they can't legally change that policy because of this outbreak - your contract was what was in effect when you booked.

Jun 24, 2019
You should file your credit card dispute today. You may already be beyond the time in which the credit card company is obligated to act.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I expect this company is a specialty-vehicle operation, probably a small, very small, business. They probably don't have the funds available for multiple refunds at a time like this. I hope your CC issuer is able to process your dispute, it's really the only avenue open to you. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. If your CC doesn't back you up, please come back to us.

Reactions: FrankL183

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s exactly what the issue is - the company doesn’t have the money to refund and are hoping for one of the SBA grants for some cash.

But that’s not our OP’s problem - she canceled within the time frame allowed due a refund less the fee. I hope too hope her credit card company comes to her rescue as the rental companies financial issues aren’t her problem.

Reactions: Warren

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
That’s exactly what the issue is - the company doesn’t have the money to refund and are hoping for one of the SBA grants for some cash.

But that’s not our OP’s problem - she canceled within the time frame allowed due a refund less the fee. I hope too hope her credit card company comes to her rescue as the rental companies financial issues aren’t her problem.
I had a convo w/chase cc a while ago about this issue, i.e. paying for something to be delivered in the future.
I was told that under these circumstances, the 60-day rule was 60 days from the promised deliverance of item.
(I had ordered a big ticket item that then became back ordered. In the olden days, the vendor would have had to refund my payment, and charge me again when shipping, but not so anymore.)

Jun 24, 2019
The rule is you must complain about the "billing error" (which includes a variety of things, such as the failure to deliver promised goods and services) within 60 days of the date of the credit card statement which contains the charge. You will find that in the Fair Credit Billing Act. Prior to 1974, credit card companies took the position tat they were holders in due course of the credit card receipt, and thus had no responsibility to look into disputes other than what are called "real" defenses, such as a forged signature. I know of no credit card company which contracts with merchants with any longer period of time. That doesn't mean that some won't process a dispute for a customer after the deadline, but that deadline has real consequences.

For orders which are backordered (I'm waiting on a part from Kohler), the merchant typically does not bill until shipping in order to avoid running afoul of the FTC's mail order rule.

That doesn't mean that merchants can't charge in advance for goods and services not covered by the mail order rule. Cruise lines, for example, have typically set their final payment date with a firm eye on the deadlines in the Fair Credit Billing Act. They grew tired of post-cruise complaints about the cruise.