No refund for a family flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 20, 2020
I Booked a flight for my family 2 days after Covid was declared a Pandemic. Things weren't that bad, and the public did not have any travel bans. Myself and my 2 small children were going to Hawaii to see their mother who is a travel nurse. She cancelled her contract so she would not get quarantined on the island and told us to cancel our flight 1 week after we booked it. Expedia won't even talk to us(we can't get a live person) and the insurance that we purchased on the travel through AIG states that because we booked 2 0r 3 days after a pandemic was declared we don't qualify for a refund. I have sent letters to all the expedia execs listed on this page. Can anyone else think of anything I can do to get my $1800+ dollars back? Doug

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you canceled the flight, you won’t get a refund. Depending on the type of ticket you would receive a credit less the airline cancellation fees.

If you had waited for the airline to cancel, you would have been due a refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I Booked a flight for my family 2 days after Covid was declared a Pandemic. Things weren't that bad, and the public did not have any travel bans. Myself and my 2 small children were going to Hawaii to see their mother who is a travel nurse. She cancelled her contract so she would not get quarantined on the island and told us to cancel our flight 1 week after we booked it. Expedia won't even talk to us(we can't get a live person) and the insurance that we purchased on the travel through AIG states that because we booked 2 0r 3 days after a pandemic was declared we don't qualify for a refund. I have sent letters to all the expedia execs listed on this page. Can anyone else think of anything I can do to get my $1800+ dollars back? Doug
Normally, you would receive a credit towards future flights, less change/cancel fees. If you didn't cancel the flight, you were a no-show and not eligible for a refund or a credit. Travel insurance, except Cancel for Any Reason, won't cover you because you cancelled for no insured reason. Unfortunate that you booked through an online service. Did you cancel the flight with them or directly with the airline? Unless you were a no-show, I think you would have a very good chance of receiving a future credit, but expedia may or may not help. Compose a concise, polite request for the credit and email to customer service at expedia. Might as well ask them for an exception to their rule and a credit for the full amount of the tix; you might get lucky. Wait a couple of weeks, then use our Company Contacts to escalate your request up the ladder., waiting a week between each submission. If expedia refuses to help or just ignores you, start the same campaign directly with the airline. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.