No Confirmation Received but Cancellation Fee Charged

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 26, 2020
I am trying to dispute a cancellation fee from a Swiss hotel that I tried to book in December for a trip in March. I tried to make a flexible stay reservation directly from the hotel's website, Seehof-Arosa https://seehof-arosa.com/ in December. I did input my travel dates, email address and credit card information for a 6 night stay in March. After completing the reservation form, I got a pop up on my screen that said your email confirmation with details will be sent shortly (I have a screen shot of this) I never receieved an email confirmation from the hotel. I emailed them directly using the email from their site, saying that I had not recived this confirmation and could they confirm that the reservation went through. I did not get a response. I also tried to call the hotel and the answering message was in Swiss with no place to leave a message; I think that is said check our website. I assumed then that the reservation did not go through and booked another place to stay. In March, I was billed for the 6 night stay at about $850. I immediately disputed the charge with my credit card company and the charge was removed, but it has since reappeared and my credit card company says that they cannot remove the charge again and that I should reach out to the hotel directly to dispute the charge. I have continued to reach out to the hotel via email-no response, phone no place to leave a message and I also sent communication to them through thier facebook page via messenger. Without communictaion from the hotel, I had no way to confirm that I had a reservation or a way to cancel the reservation. Do you have any advice as to how I can proceed from here to have the charge refunded?

Thank you,
Christine Walter

Note: Edited by moderator to remove email address

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2017
If I were you I might go back to my credit card company with the evidence that you've tried repeatedly to contact the hotel with no response. You may have to escalate to a supervisor but I would think they should be able to help with this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you're looking at a hotel on their website and you input all the details, including your CC info, you can assume that you've made a reservation. On the other hand, you can't show up at a European hotel and be turned away because they have no room for you. You were in an untenable situation. I agree with my colleague ... you made every effort to confirm this res without success. Make a concise detailed list of every effort you made to communicate with the hotel, and ask your CC issuer to back you up. A lot will depend on the customer service strength of your CC.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
If your reservation was not refundable to any degree, I believe you are ultimately going to have a hard time disputing this charge.
This is not to say that I think this is morally correct or makes any sense at all, given the account you have made as to what happened.
It is, of course, very hard to prove a negative, ‘ I didn’t get s confirmation email.’ That this is all taking place in another country further complicates the equation.
You do need to appeal the decision, but beyond that I fear there is little you can do to effect any change.

Reactions: Warren and Skippy
Jun 24, 2019
As I have noted, the credit card company is required to investigate. If the hotel sent an e-mail, the hotel can provide that to the credit card company. The appeal to the credit card company should focus on the failure, from OP's perspective, of the hotel confirming.

Reactions: mmb and Neil Maley
Jun 27, 2017
A few times when I thought I had not received various email confirmations for purchases and took a second look at my email, guess where I often found those confirmations? Yep, the SPAM folder. Even though the OP made the reservation in December, the confirmation might be in his SPAM mail. Also, there have been instances when I accidentally entered my email incorrectly. Perhaps this happened or perhaps the hotel entered the OPs email incorrectly. If I don't get a an email confirmation with 24-48 hours, I contact the provider.

Jun 24, 2019
A few times when I thought I had not received various email confirmations for purchases and took a second look at my email, guess where I often found those confirmations? Yep, the SPAM folder. Even though the OP made the reservation in December, the confirmation might be in his SPAM mail. Also, there have been instances when I accidentally entered my email incorrectly. Perhaps this happened or perhaps the hotel entered the OPs email incorrectly. If I don't get a an email confirmation with 24-48 hours, I contact the provider.
OP says she contacted the hotel about a lack of a confirming e-mail and received no response, and tried calling. I concur that sometimes these confirmations get into the spam folder, and, especially for my office spam folder, it takes a day or two before the spam is accessible to me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you've entered your credit card information online, you cannot give up trying to get a confirmation ... or an acknowledgement that you don't have a res. I cannot count the number of transactions I've backed out of and come back to the next day because I wasn't absolutely positively sure of what I was booking. Unless I'm sure, I don't enter my CC info.

As far as SPAM folders go, all 3 of the browsers I use for email have a list of folders running down the left margin. The "spam" is right there under "inbox" and "sent". I look at the spam folder every morning and thought everyone did that.

Reactions: VISERENDIPITY
Jun 24, 2019
As I read OP's story, she would have been happy to stay there had she received a confirmation, a response to her e-mail, someone to pick up the phone. It's hard to fault her for her efforts. She's come here for help in trying to figure out a solution from a distant merchant who refuses to communicate. She did not go through a third party site; she reserved directly with the hotel.

I see no solution with the hotel. She can, of course, post a truthful review, but Trip Advisor or other such services may remove a review of someone who did not actually stay there.

The only remedy I see, as noted by a prior poster, is with her credit card company. By law, they are required to investigate and to tell OP the result of the investigation. If the hotel claims that she had a confirmed reservation, the hotel can provide the credit card company with a copy of the confirming e-mail.

Reactions: mmb
Aug 29, 2018
A few times when I thought I had not received various email confirmations for purchases and took a second look at my email, guess where I often found those confirmations? Yep, the SPAM folder. Even though the OP made the reservation in December, the confirmation might be in his SPAM mail.
Most mail systems will purge spam adter a month.