New (today) United policy on vouchers: good for 2 years, with flights up until Mar 3 2023.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.

For example, if you were issued an electronic travel certificate on April 3, 2020, you have until April 3, 2022 to book a new flight and your flight can be any time up until March 3, 2023."

I would expect the other major US airlines to follow soon with similar policies.

Reactions: Patina and Warren
Apr 3, 2016
Stay tuned. It looks like the Feds are making give money, not a credit, back for cancelled flights.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.

For example, if you were issued an electronic travel certificate on April 3, 2020, you have until April 3, 2022 to book a new flight and your flight can be any time up until March 3, 2023."

I would expect the other major US airlines to follow soon with similar policies.
"I would expect the other major US airlines to follow soon with similar policies." They did ... feels nice to win one with an airline, doesn't it?

Reactions: Teri Bergin
Apr 5, 2020
I have not cancelled for the flight which will be commencing this Thursday. I know that airline is going to cancel it. I was waiting for refund as I was talking to my travel agent multiple times during last 2-3 weeks. First they said, only change permitted, last week said that you can get a open ticket which is valid till Dec 2020 but if you dont use it, you can get refund. Now rule says, you will get 24 months to use credit. I complained with DOT as well and hoping to get refund right away. Any suggestions ?

Aug 29, 2018
Correct. I canceled flights for April 20 and April 30. I have a voucher good for two years for flights as far forward as Mar 2023.
Please pardon a gruesome question:

What is the status of vouchers if the named recipient dies?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have not cancelled for the flight which will be commencing this Thursday. I know that airline is going to cancel it. I was waiting for refund as I was talking to my travel agent multiple times during last 2-3 weeks. First they said, only change permitted, last week said that you can get a open ticket which is valid till Dec 2020 but if you dont use it, you can get refund. Now rule says, you will get 24 months to use credit. I complained with DOT as well and hoping to get refund right away. Any suggestions ?
If your flight is not canceled (and flights are still flying freight with few/no passengers) and you do not cancel, you will get nothing since you will be a no show. You need to track the flight on the day of departure and if it is going to fly, cancel your ticket yourself and you will at least get a voucher.

Apr 5, 2020
If your flight is not canceled (and flights are still flying freight with few/no passengers) and you do not cancel, you will get nothing since you will be a no show. You need to track the flight on the day of departure and if it is going to fly, cancel your ticket yourself and you will at least get a voucher.
At least outgoing is flight is cancelled for sure as I dont find in itinerary when I search with booking ID. Only incoming is displayed which is for May 5th. Not sure that why they keep return journey there as I did not book two separate tickets as such. I hope that I will have to wait until May 5th for the outcome. I am still pushing airline for getting refund right away but as agent is involved, its not working.

Apr 5, 2020
Please pardon a gruesome question:

What is the status of vouchers if the named recipient dies?
valid question and airlines are not trying to understand this just to keep money. Someone has sued United today. Its in the news. It will become lawsuit most probably.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
At least outgoing is flight is cancelled for sure as I dont find in itinerary when I search with booking ID. Only incoming is displayed which is for May 5th. Not sure that why they keep return journey there as I did not book two separate tickets as such. I hope that I will have to wait until May 5th for the outcome. I am still pushing airline for getting refund right away but as agent is involved, its not working.
Go to the website and try to book the flight you had. If it doesn’t appear, it’s either full or canceled.

Apr 5, 2020
Do you have two separate PNRS? Was this booked as two separate tickets?
I found out that at top it had one reservation number but underneath it says two airline reservation numbers. So probably, that is the what causing the trouble. Agent might have combined two reservations.

Apr 5, 2020
It sounds like they sold you two separate tickets. Ha w you contacted them? What agency did you use? They need to fix this for you.
Yes ! I contacted and they are debating that its single ticket only but as there are airline treat them as two. I booked through alanita travels.