New Economy fare coming from UA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
Those are significant limitations (only one small item, no FF points, boarding last, etc,), so UA is going to have to price it well below regular economy fares to attract savvy travelers. I doubt UA's regular customers will go for it in measurable numbers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Lets get ready for the complaints.
"My family of 16 couldn't be dealing ed together"

"I didn't get to pick my seats"

"I couldn't bring my coat, carryins and 3 personal items"

"They wouldn't let me make any changes"

At least we are forewarned and can direct them,lol.

Reactions: joycexyz and Warren
Nov 14, 2016
Lets get ready for the complaints.
"My family of 16 couldn't be dealing ed together"

"I didn't get to pick my seats"

"I couldn't bring my coat, carryins and 3 personal items"

"They wouldn't let me make any changes"

At least we are forewarned and can direct them,lol.
A few more:

"They made me sit on the wing"

"Standing room only"

"I had to get out and push"

Reactions: joycexyz and Warren

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Airlines are also adding true Premium Economy sections (not just Econ with more legroom). United was the first to blink on ultra-low fares; expect the other legacy carriers to follow.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Doesn't Delta already do this with their basic fare?
Pretty sure that Delta started this quite some time ago. We haven't had any posts about it, so hopefully they're making it crystal clear on the website and people will know exactly what they're booking.

Jan 5, 2015
How people will game this system:
1. Arrive in a wheelchair, which will board first. Or, utlilze "special needs" boarding, since there's no oversight on that.

2. Bring a "medical" or "infant care" carryon that is too big. Remember, these are "exempt" from carry-on baggage rules.

3. Sit in a seat they aren't assigned and then refuse to move when the rightful owner shows up.

UA is just looking for a mess with this.

Reactions: joycexyz

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
1. Arrive in a wheelchair, which will board first. Or, utlilze "special needs" boarding, since there's no oversight on that.

2. Bring a "medical" or "infant care" carryon that is too big. Remember, these are "exempt" from carry-on baggage rules.

3. Sit in a seat they aren't assigned and then refuse to move when the rightful owner shows up.

I agree, but UA management doesn't care, the gate agents and flight attendants will have to deal with most of it. I don't know how front-line airline employees manage to do their jobs without going crazy.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I just read yet another post by a traveller who 'did not understand he was buying a non-refundable ticket'. If people can't even grasp THAT these days, what are they going to do with 'basic economy'? Scream, that's what. And WE ARE HERE!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is a lid for every garbage can and there will probably be plenty of folks that travel with no carryons and don't care where they sit that this would fit.

They had better clearly explain it on their website. Can't wait to see what the OTAs do about disclosure. Who wants to bet when we see the first complaint?

May 17, 2016

Let's not forget the emotional support pony.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
How are they going to stop someone from using the overhead bin? Perhaps they'll have to employ very large and menacing flight attendants.
I wondered the same thing! Although, boarding at the end probably solves that problem as all the spaces will be full.