Negotiation with Avis/Sedgwick

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 3, 2020
I had an at-fault accident with my Avis rental in December 2018. Car was likely totaled.
My primary insurance is with Allstate, I have secondary with my Citi Costco Credit card.
Communication with Allstate has been extremely slow.
In January 2019, I received a letter for from Viking only asking for $471. Allstate said they would call them about waiving loss of use and administrative fee. When they called, they were told the claim has been closed.
In December 2019, I received a letter from Sedgwick asking for $11531.25. I emailed Sedgwick but never got any response. Allstate told me they paid it and no further action was required from me.
Now, Jan 2020, I received another letter from Sedgwick, asking for the money again and threatening to send it to collections. I emailed Sedgwick but they never reply. Allstate now clarifies that they paid it but did not pay loss of use or administrative fee and there is my deductible.
Assuming it isnt too late now, I assume my credit care company will cover at least the deductible but not loss of use or admin fees.
I asked them to contact Sedgwick about negotiating the Loss of Use and Admin fee and she tells me I should call myself as they are typically nicer to the renter vs an insurance company.

Therefore, do you have any tips on how to negotiate the Loss of Use and Admin fee? I've read that I should ask for evidence of Loss of Use, however if I recall, the rental agreement specifically states that I owe it regardless of evidence.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
With all the flawed/missing communications, I suggest that you contact Avis for resolution. Use a format similar to this:
  • In December of 2018, I had an at-fault accident with my Avis rental
  • One year later Viking sent a letter requesting $471
  • My insurer (Allstate) called and were told the case was closed
  • Allstate further stated that they had paid the claim less my deductible and any fees
  • In December of 2019, Sedgwick sent a letter requesting $11,531
  • In January of 2020, Sedgwick warned that they plan to send this to collections
  • Sedgwick has been non-responsive to my emails
I understand that the contract I signed calls for Loss of Use and other fees, but these should not be $11,000. If you would, please provide Sedgwick with the correct amount I owe. I would appreciate any consideration you can offer for reduced/eliminated fees, especially given the time that has passed. This is a matter of some urgency.​
Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avis-budget/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Reactions: Neil Maley
Feb 3, 2020
Sorry, I was not clear. Viking contacted one MONTH later asking for $471 and they later told Allstate the matter was closed. A YEAR later, I got the letter from Sedgwick for $11531. Allstate paid $9,648.65. They did not pay, Loss of Use: $1332.60, Administration Fee: $300, Deductible: $250. So I believe the amounts are correct. I am just looking for advice in negotiating the Loss of Use and Administration Fee.

Though, perhaps I need to speak to the credit card insurance company first to clarify if they will ayp Loss of Use/Admin fees. I just assumed no.