Need help resolving charges for long distant calls on my son's stolen cell phone

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
The disabling of a phone prevents someone from accessing the personal information.

It does not prevent wiping the phone from the personal info and resetting it

The SIM card is only disabled by calling the carrier and then the carrier can block it and the phone so it can not be registered on another carrier in this country

Apple specifically mentions the need to call the carrier:

Report your lost or stolen device to your wireless carrier, so they can disable your account to prevent calls, texts, and data use. Your device might be covered under your wireless carrier plan.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

Reactions: Blossom
Mar 22, 2019
This is an update on the status of this case. As expected, ATT denied the adjustment request. When I called yesterday to find out the status, the customer service agent was very helpful. He reviewed the notes that was submitted in the two adjustment requests and told me that both request were just going round and round as there was not new information added to the second request. The customer service agent did some research and found out that the international calls were made from the area of Tempa, Florida; the phone was stolen from Austin, Texas. He further researched on my call history and told me that my records does not show any calls out of the Florida area. He said that he did not agree with the denial of my request and said that this was an obvious fraud. He then completed another adjustment request for me with the new findings. In the new request, I told him to add an alternative settlement of paying the charges at the international plan rate (.70 per minutes) instead of the full rate of 3.00 per minutes if the complete adjustment is denied. I am keeping my fingers cross to either a complete adjustment or the lower settled rate. Thank you all for your inputs and suggestion. I will post again once I find out the outcome next week

Aug 30, 2015
Actually his son "disabled" the phone which is different. From what I've read today, you can disable, erase data, and /or lock the phone. Only locking prevents the phone from being used. And if AT&T is like others, simply placing the SIM in another phone won't work. They (AT&T) have to activate the new phone. Can a thief convince them to do that? Probably . . .
It is certainly not standard to have to "activate" a phone when you change SIM cards. The whole premise of SIM cards is that they can be put in any compatible phone. Verizon activates them because it is often Hybrid CDMA/GSM...and for CDMA, they do need the IMEI.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
We have a GSM phone and with every new phone had to call the carrier and give them the IMEI. The phone was did not work until then.
May just be your carrier. I have T-mobile and haven't had any problem switching the sim cards to another phone without contacting them. I'm on my third phone since I obtained the sim I use now. This last time I actually had to cut it down to nano size to fit. :)

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 22, 2019
When I spoke with the CS rep, he told me that it is as simple as taking out the SIM card from one phone and placing it in another. The only time we had problem with changing SIM was when we upgraded from a earlier phone to a 4G

Mar 22, 2019
I send off my email to the ATT executive earlier in the week. On that same day, I received a call from a representative of the Office of the ATT President. The conversation with her did not sound promising on that day. Today, I received another call from her with some good news. She told me that she has approved giving me credit for the total amount of the international calls. This was the best news I have gotten in about one month. She told me that the approval process has to go up another two levels, but she do not see any reasons it will be denied. So, at this point, I am 90% there. Thank you all on this forum for pointing me to this route. I will provide more information once this is finalized

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I send off my email to the ATT executive earlier in the week. On that same day, I received a call from a representative of the Office of the ATT President. The conversation with her did not sound promising on that day. Today, I received another call from her with some good news. She told me that she has approved giving me credit for the total amount of the international calls. This was the best news I have gotten in about one month. She told me that the approval process has to go up another two levels, but she do not see any reasons it will be denied. So, at this point, I am 90% there. Thank you all on this forum for pointing me to this route. I will provide more information once this is finalized
Now set up your son's phone so it CANNOT make international calls.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Mar 22, 2019
I had already thought of that from the beginning. As it turns out, we have the unlimited plan. With that plan, is allow unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada. The representative from ATT told me that international calls cannot be blocked because of that

Mar 22, 2019
I told the rep that we have learned so much from this experience. One main thing is to contact the carrier right away once your is stolen

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
If your son does not need to call Mexico or Canada, you should select an unlimited Nationwide plan. That would address future concerns and save money.

Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I had already thought of that from the beginning. As it turns out, we have the unlimited plan. With that plan, is allow unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada. The representative from ATT told me that international calls cannot be blocked because of that
Then take him off your plan and put him on his own plan that he is responsible for. You will not find ATT to be so accommodating the next time this happens.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Mar 22, 2019
If your son does not need to call Mexico or Canada, you should select an unlimited Nationwide plan. That would address future concerns and save money.
The current plan we are on gives me a lot of perks for my line of work. We don't call Mexico or Canada at all, but the plan comes with that feature whether we need it or not. As for having my son getting his own phone, that is not possible at this time. Thank you all again for all of your help and thoughts