Need a refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 12, 2020
I cancelled my scheduled flight before the deadline that American Airlines posted which was March 31 st. My flight was supposed to take place on April 26th and return home on April 28 th. I needed to fly to my destination for a medical procedure that will not now be rescheduled. I would have no other reason to fly to that destination. I cannot use the voucher for future trips since I won’t be taking any. The amount involved is in excess of $300 and I don’t want to forfeit it. Is there any recourse for me?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Unfortunately, if you cancelled the flight prior to the airline cancelling the flight (not sure they did from your post) then you are not due a refund. But, you do not need to use the credit to fly to the same destination, you can fly anywhere the airline flies. You just use the credit amount toward the new ticket.

May 30, 2019
I cannot use the voucher for future trips since I won’t be taking any.
The airlines' policies have changed so frequently, you need to check the terms of the flight voucher/credit made available at that time and/or the current policy. Quite possibly, you have through next year (e.g. 12/31/2021) to use the voucher. If you won't take any trips ever again, you are likely out of luck because they are not transferable.