NCL RESERVATION 4xxxxxxxxx

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2020
My mother and I were booked on the NCL Jade set to sail out of Singapore for an 11 day cruise thru Asia. Corona Virus issues were already to be a big problem in Asia and in addition my 87 year old mother was diagnosed with respiratory issues and Influenza B. Under these circumstances I thought it best to cancel the flights and cruise. Delta refunded 100 percent without an issue. United Arab Emirates refunded all but 200.00 which I was ok with. However this was not the case with NCL. I sent various emails to their online support team only to be told sorry but no. If it was a cruise that cost under $1000.00 I would probably have let it go but we have lost more than $5000.00 dollars. In addition I lost my job after 37 years so I am really in need of these funds. Please please help. I have attached a copy of the note from the doctor along with a copy of the reservation. Can someone please assist me in receiving a full refund. Thank you.

Sincerely
Andrea Almeida

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove reservation number and attachments that contained personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What was the date of the cruise and when did you cancel? Did you cancel before NCL canceled the cruise? If so, whatever the cancellation policy was that was in effect at the time you canceled is what you are obligated to.

Did you have a travel insurance policy you could file a claim for if your Moms respiratory condition was severe enough she couldn’t travel?

This story tell you what you are entitled to based on when you canceled.

Reactions: Skippy

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My mother and I were booked on the NCL Jade set to sail out of Singapore for an 11 day cruise thru Asia. Corona Virus issues were already to be a big problem in Asia and in addition my 87 year old mother was diagnosed with respiratory issues and Influenza B. Under these circumstances I thought it best to cancel the flights and cruise. Delta refunded 100 percent without an issue. United Arab Emirates refunded all but 200.00 which I was ok with. However this was not the case with NCL. I sent various emails to their online support team only to be told sorry but no. If it was a cruise that cost under $1000.00 I would probably have let it go but we have lost more than $5000.00 dollars. In addition I lost my job after 37 years so I am really in need of these funds. Please please help. I have attached a copy of the note from the doctor along with a copy of the reservation. Can someone please assist me in receiving a full refund. Thank you.

Sincerely
Andrea Almeida

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove reservation number and attachments that contained personal information
When was the cruse scheduled and when did you cancel? Did you purchase insurance? If you have purchased travel insurance this cancellation might be covered due to your mother's acute illnesses.
If you do not have insurance you can appeal to NCL, but if they say no there is little else you can do. You are essentially asking for the benefit of travel insurance without having purchased same.

Here are NCL contacts: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/
Email starting at the first level of customer service above the ones you have dealt with already, and wait 2 weeks before moving to the next level if no/negative response.

Jun 25, 2020
Hello and thank you for responding. I had purchased insurance from Amex that cost over $1000.00 on Jan 9 2020. My cruise cancellation was done on January 29 2020. The insurance claim was denied by Amex because of pre existing condition. I found out later that the NCL cruise that I was supposed to be on was never cancelled instead they altered the itinerary drastically.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What date was the cruise to leave?

This is where you find the difference between credit card insurance and a regular policy. If you had bought a third party policy when you made your deposit, you might have had a policy that covered pre-ex conditions.

I wish I had better news for you but because you didn’t have the right insurance, I am not confident NCL will do anything. Was the cruise eventually canceled by NCL?

You should use the information Weihlac gave about appealing to NCL but I would ask for a credit for a future cruise-none of the cruise lines are in any financial shape to provide refunds that for any cruises they didn’t cancel.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello and thank you for responding. I had purchased insurance from Amex that cost over $1000.00 on Jan 9 2020. My cruise cancellation was done on January 29 2020. The insurance claim was denied by Amex because of pre existing condition. I found out later that the NCL cruise that I was supposed to be on was never cancelled instead they altered the itinerary drastically.
Did your booking/travel agent tell you how to get insurance to cover pre-existing conditions? It is essential when booking a cruise for an elderly passenger to get coverage for pre-existing conditions. Were you aware that the Amex insurance did not cover pre-existing conditions?

When did you book the cruise? We need to know the date of the booking, and the date of the cruise. All we know is when you bought insurance from Amex and when you canceled.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Andred, I am so sorry to hear about your issues and not being able to cruise. For what it's worth, you surely made the best decision to protect your mother. Did you use a travel agent? Have they been able to tell you exactly where you stand with NCL? If not, you should review your NCL contract to see what kind of cancellation penalty applies. It will be very difficult to get any extra consideration out of NCL, as many of their pax are elderly and the fares are low. I have two NCL cruises coming up, we've not sailed with them before. From my reading and research, NCL seems to be not as generous as one might expect from a luxury cruise line. From reading others' stories on CruiseCritic, it seems that NCL feels that each pax needs to take care of himself.

However, you still should try. There's always a chance of a miracle. Compose a concise, polite email to NCL. The complaint department reads them all day long, so yours needs to be as short and concise as possible. Explain your situation and ask them for an exception to their rules. If no response after two weeks, use our Company Contacts to climb up the executive ladder, one at time, waiting a week in between submissions. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Andred, I am so sorry to hear about your issues and not being able to cruise. For what it's worth, you surely made the best decision to protect your mother. Did you use a travel agent? Have they been able to tell you exactly where you stand with NCL? If not, you should review your NCL contract to see what kind of cancellation penalty applies. It will be very difficult to get any extra consideration out of NCL, as many of their pax are elderly and the fares are low. I have two NCL cruises coming up, we've not sailed with them before. From my reading and research, NCL seems to be not as generous as one might expect from a luxury cruise line. From reading others' stories on CruiseCritic, it seems that NCL feels that each pax needs to take care of himself.

However, you still should try. There's always a chance of a miracle. Compose a concise, polite email to NCL. The complaint department reads them all day long, so yours needs to be as short and concise as possible. Explain your situation and ask them for an exception to their rules. If no response after two weeks, use our Company Contacts to climb up the executive ladder, one at time, waiting a week in between submissions. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
NCL isn’t a luxury cruise line- they are a middle priced line that is very casual.

A well written letter hitting the desk of the right executive might allow for a credit. NCL is taking the longest of all the cruise lines to refund passengers for the cruises they canceled-the OP
might have them make an exception if they requested a credit vs. a refund.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
As others say, never say never but cruise lines are going to go at minimum 6 months without any revenue generating activity. They're bleeding money so I don't see them voluntarily giving any more up. A credit may be more likely, but from all I've seen of the not luxury cruise lines they're holding to their policies. If you cancel before they do you're just out of luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As others say, never say never but cruise lines are going to go at minimum 6 months without any revenue generating activity. They're bleeding money so I don't see them voluntarily giving any more up. A credit may be more likely, but from all I've seen of the not luxury cruise lines they're holding to their policies. If you cancel before they do you're just out of luck.
Even the luxury cruise lines are sticking to their policies. They are just not in the position to refund anymore than they have to. One line is starting to sell ships. That is a statement on what they are doing to try to remain in business.

Reactions: justlisa and Skippy
May 30, 2019
Given that a refund is highly unlikely if they cancelled before the NCL did,
Did your booking/travel agent tell you how to get insurance to cover pre-existing conditions? It is essential when booking a cruise for an elderly passenger to get coverage for pre-existing conditions. Were you aware that the Amex insurance did not cover pre-existing conditions?

When did you book the cruise? We need to know the date of the booking, and the date of the cruise. All we know is when you bought insurance from Amex and when you canceled.
Also, did you already receive a cruise credit? If so, did the credit reflect everything paid to that date? If not, what amount of deposit was lost?

@Neil Maley, do you know if NCL cruise credits are transferable? Is that an option here, albeit a sub-optimal one?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Also, did you already receive a cruise credit? If so, did the credit reflect everything paid to that date? If not, what amount of deposit was lost?

@Neil Maley, do you know if NCL cruise credits are transferable? Is that an option here, albeit a sub-optimal one?
No they aren’t.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019

While they didn't say a date, I'm pretty sure the OP was booked on the Asia cruises in February. Which would put a Jan 29 cancellation in the 100% penalty window. So no cruise credit.

At the time it was all so new that NCL was trying to not cancel unless they had to. But it was extremely hectic (I was following along via cruise critic) as it seemed like things were changing every day. Meanwhile all of Royal cruises were out of China so they had to cancel them all.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
NCL isn’t a luxury cruise line- they are a middle priced line that is very casual.

A well written letter hitting the desk of the right executive might allow for a credit. NCL is taking the longest of all the cruise lines to refund passengers for the cruises they canceled-the OP
might have them make an exception if they requested a credit vs. a refund.
I'm well aware that NCLis not a luxe line, but I see that my words don't really say that, I apologize. I was trying to express the fact that I've heard that NCL is very much a mass market line and probably doesn't rank very high in that group. We're trying it because we want to travel more and spend less. If we ever actually board an NCL ship, it may be our first and last cruise with them, who knows?

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I'm well aware that NCLis not a luxe line, but I see that my words don't really say that, I apologize. I was trying to express the fact that I've heard that NCL is very much a mass market line and probably doesn't rank very high in that group. We're trying it because we want to travel more and spend less. If we ever actually board an NCL ship, it may be our first and last cruise with them, who knows?
I personally rank them on par with Royal Caribbean. (I have a friend that prefers either over carnival, I so far have refused to go on them.) I'd say the only big difference is NCL's freestyle (which some really hate) and Royal is a bit more pool focused. But my cruiser attitude is as long as I didn't miss the boat, they're not out of alcohol, and the plumbing is working correctly in my room then it's a good day lol.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I personally rank them on par with Royal Caribbean. (I have a friend that prefers either over carnival, I so far have refused to go on them.) I'd say the only big difference is NCL's freestyle (which some really hate) and Royal is a bit more pool focused. But my cruiser attitude is as long as I didn't miss the boat, they're not out of alcohol, and the plumbing is working correctly in my room then it's a good day lol.
This is good to know Lisa, I cruised with Royal Caribbean again ten years ago and found it just fine. Carrie likes them too. Like you, they have to work HARD to make me not have a good cruise. And you couldn't pay me to get on a Carnival ship ... my days of carousing half the night are long over, and just in time too. Don't think I could take it any more.

Jun 25, 2020
What date was the cruise to leave?

This is where you find the difference between credit card insurance and a regular policy. If you had bought a third party policy when you made your deposit, you might have had a policy that covered pre-ex conditions.

I wish I had better news for you but because you didn’t have the right insurance, I am not confident NCL will do anything. Was the cruise eventually canceled by NCL?

You should use the information Weihlac gave about appealing to NCL but I would ask for a credit for a future cruise-none of the cruise lines are in any financial shape to provide refunds that for any cruises they didn’t cancel.

Thank you Neil. I appreciate your advice. It makes me so sad that it's ok for them to just keep your money during these difficult times and they could get away with it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you Neil. I appreciate your advice. It makes me so sad that it's ok for them to just keep your money during these difficult times and they could get away with it.
Please use this as a lesson about travel insurance. If you had a policy that covered pre-ex conditions and your Moms health deteriorated enough that she could no longer travel - Covid or not- you might have received a refund from the insurance. Credit card insurance never offers as much coverage as a traditional insurance policy.

This might help you in the future:

Reactions: Patina and Skippy