NCL refuses to refund due to death of a passenger

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 23, 2019
I agree with you. That's the way I travel. Apparently I didn't learn this from my parents.
However, the loss of thousands of dollars is significant for them and I would doubt the cabin was empty.
In their earlier years they would often show up at the docks with bags packed looking for unsold cabins and get a deal the day of.
Many folks do this.

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will continue toward asking for a favor and although a voucher isn't ideal, I better see the position of the cruise line.

Reactions: Patina
Feb 21, 2018
In their earlier years they would often show up at the docks with bags packed looking for unsold cabins and get a deal the day of.
Many folks do this.
This doesn't happen anymore. The real travel professionals will correct me, but I believe no cruise passage can be sold in the 72 hour window prior to sailing due to Homeland Security rules. The passenger lists go through scrutiny at this time, so nothing can be added.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
This doesn't happen anymore. The real travel professionals will correct me, but I believe no cruise passage can be sold in the 72 hour window prior to sailing due to Homeland Security rules. The passenger lists go through scrutiny at this time, so nothing can be added.
It's less than that, but you're correct that you can't just walk up anymore. You can name change on Royal up until 24 hours before sailing. So that's probably the actual cut off.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No, they booked the cruise five months previous. They were to attend a family wedding. It also annoys me that as part of a group sale they aren't absorbing the cost.
I’m sorry that you are going through this but its NOT the fault of anyone else of your parents did not buy insurance. I am willing to be others that went bought insurance. Did you ask your Dad why they didn’t buy insurance? This might not be the time but it’s something he needs to explain to you what their reasoning was.

If this was bought through a travel agent I’m also willing to bet the agent probably offered them insurance and they may have declined it.

The group is not responsible for this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Correct- the cruise line has to send the final manifest 3 or 4 days before to Homeland Security.

May 7, 2019
I’m sorry that you are going through this but its NOT the fault of anyone else of your parents did not buy insurance. I am willing to be others that went bought insurance. Did you ask your Dad why they didn’t buy insurance? This might not be the time but it’s something he needs to explain to you what their reasoning was.

If this was bought through a travel agent I’m also willing to bet the agent probably offered them insurance and they may have declined it.

The group is not responsible for this.
Forgive me, but asking grieving dad why he didn’t buy insurance is not in the least productive. I’m sure the family all wishes they’d purchased insurance. The question for them now is whether, in light of the current circumstances (including their lack of insurance), there are any suggestions to help this family mitigate their loss.

If a poster is unable to offer any such suggestion, maybe it’s best stay silent. That’s what I’ve done — until I saw someone actually suggest that it would be somehow productive for the family to blame grieving dad for this financial hit...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The family is grieving but placing blame on the cruise line and now the group that the cruise was booked through is unrealistic. Neither are to blame for this.

We can only suggest that Dad write to the cruise line and request an exception. The key to getting an executive to consider what you are asking is to accept responsibility and ask for an exception to the rule. I still have hope that the right letter might have one of the Executives make an exception.

Sep 19, 2015
Forgive me, but asking grieving dad why he didn’t buy insurance is not in the least productive. I’m sure the family all wishes they’d purchased insurance. The question for them now is whether, in light of the current circumstances (including their lack of insurance), there are any suggestions to help this family mitigate their loss.

If a poster is unable to offer any such suggestion, maybe it’s best stay silent. That’s what I’ve done — until I saw someone actually suggest that it would be somehow productive for the family to blame grieving dad for this financial hit...
Actually it is productive because that is exactly the question that the person at the Cruise line reading the request for a refund will wonder.

These are businesses that get many such requests per month.

The OPs situation is tragic, as there are ‘silent’ cancers that once symptoms show there is little that can be done.

But when asking for an exception one has to understand the obstacles that they face — and the reactions of those in charge of making the decisions.

Jun 27, 2017
As a longtime follower of the forums, I have read many stories of people who were unable to go on a long-planned, paid-for trip. Many posters truly feel that airlines, cruise lines, hotels, online travel agencies, etc. are cold, heartless, greedy and unethical when they refuse to make a refund. But the reality is that these businesses must make a profit to continue operations, and making refunds on non-refundable items results in red ink. And considering that thousands of people travel every day, it's probably not just one or two people who make such requests every day.

Yes, you can artfully, politely ask for an exception to the rules, but the reality is the answer will probably be "No, we are not going to refund your money." And it's better to read it here from the Elliott Advocates so you know what to expect. If there is anything these forums have taught me is to invest in travel insurance for those unexpected life happenings that really do happen. If we hadn't purchased a policy for a recent cancellation, we would be out thousands of dollars.