NCL Joy - Maiden Voyage - Not Ready For Passengers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 1, 2019
In Johns defense- there is no picture on the deck plan that shows that cabin has no couch. If you look at the picture, it says it was a modified ADA cabin but not how it was modified. After searching everywhere for a deck plan that shows a modified mini suite with no couch- I can’t find one. That’s problem- I think I would have been surprised had I got on and saw that.

John, I think you should make this the focus of your complaint. Their own website shows that room with a couch.

And ask for a future cruise credit due to it. And the clock problem too- that’s a legitimate complaint too. (I don’t understand why there couldn’t be a programming change made to correct that ).
They need to fix their deck plan renditions- unless someone rise can find a picture of what that cabin really looks like on NCLs website.

In the future, know you don’t have to accept their recommended cabin - what of it was a cabin over a nightclub or the theater? In this case it wouldn’t have mattered because the website rendition was wrong but we are very careful about where our cabin is located- we always check the deck plans to see what is above, below and next to a recommended cabin. All a recommended cabin is an unbooked one and apparently may not be a desired one.
That was the first thing on the original letter to NCL, but the sewer gas was really our bigger concern than the room configuration. The smell was nauseating.

I'm really not after a refund or a future cruise. If they offer something as I pass my experience up the chain at NCL, that is great, but that was never my intent. To us, this was a sunk cost on a bad vacation. It will definitely impact our choices and cruise lines in the future, but nothing is going to change our experience in the past.

My reason for coming to this forum was that the response from NCL was infuriating. I know that you don't read attachments but they copied generic responses that didn't even address any of the concerns of my letter.

Future cruise credit would be awesome, but to us, it is more important to have a good vacation than a free or cheap one. If they aren't going to address any of the concerns that we brought forward, I would be concerned that it will just be a repeat of this mess.

Jun 1, 2019
This ship was built for the Asian market and recently refurbished for the US market.
We found that out after booking, but we didn't know at the time.

If you look at every issue that you run into in life, you can easily see the steps that you could have taken to avoid it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That was the first thing on the original letter to NCL, but the sewer gas was really our bigger concern than the room configuration. The smell was nauseating.

I'm really not after a refund or a future cruise. If they offer something as I pass my experience up the chain at NCL, that is great, but that was never my intent. To us, this was a sunk cost on a bad vacation. It will definitely impact our choices and cruise lines in the future, but nothing is going to change our experience in the past.

My reason for coming to this forum was that the response from NCL was infuriating. I know that you don't read attachments but they copied generic responses that didn't even address any of the concerns of my letter.

Future cruise credit would be awesome, but to us, it is more important to have a good vacation than a free or cheap one. If they aren't going to address any of the concerns that we brought forward, I would be concerned that it will just be a repeat of this mess.
I hear you. We had a worse experience on our and NCLs arrogance about cutting a cruise short two days a week before and their answer was too bad. There were people who got in that ship that didn’t know the cruise was cut short and the had no hotel room in London when they arrived. My wife wrote to the Executives at NCL and told them that most personal accounts were never notified about the change. Vivian Ewart said they did. My wife told her we never personally received an email and people were going to get on the ship not knowing the itinerary was changed. Sure enough the lines at Customer Service were down to the elevators the first three days of the cruise with people complaining they had no place to go for the two days.

The arrogance lately is surprising and I have seen similar complaints from other travel advisers about their clients cruises.

No apologies at all from them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We found that out after booking, but we didn't know at the time.

If you look at every issue that you run into in life, you can easily see the steps that you could have taken to avoid it.
These are things you don’t know what you don’t know booking on your own. Travel Agents keep up to date on all this information and could have told you all this.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I followed the Inaugural Cruise by on great poster on Cruise Critic. You obviously had some real issues but for the most part the discussion from onboard posters was very positive.
I research everything on Cruise Critic and other online sources prior to booking. Having an unexpected surprise like your experience would have upset me too. I would never depend on WiFi particularly in Alaska.