My Hotel Offers No Refund for Cancellations During Covid - can that be right?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2020
I booked a stay at a resort in Costa Rica and the owner recently charged us for the full stay (check in is May 23). I contacted her and noted that as of now, no travelers outside of Costan Rican nationals are allowed into the country through May 15 and what happens after May 15 is an unknown. I asked if she will be flexible with her policy of no refunds on cancellations within 30 days of check in. She answered that there are no refunds and my only option was to reschedule. If I need to cancel again, than she would share the invoice to submit to the travel insurance company I contracted. I did not use a travel agency. Is she right in her actions here? Do I really not get anything back?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is not a case of you "getting nothing back", you are receiving a credit towards a future stay. Whenever any travel is prepaid, it is vital that you understand exactly what terms govern the stay, BEFORE you book. Read the terms and conditions of your reservation carefully. You want to know if all your money will go toward a future visit, or if there are cancellation fees. You want that credit to extend out to the end of 2021. If you need more help, please come back to us with the cancellation terms and what is being offered to you. We'll be happy to assist.