MLB tickets bought through StubHub for 3/28 Orioles/Yankees game that never happened

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2020
The coronavirus-caused issue I haven't been able to solve on my own is a refund for baseball tickets for a game that never took place but was not 'canceled' by Major League Baseball, so Stub Hub is unwilling to issue refunds, even though the tickets were for a game set to take place on 3/28 (Orioles/Yankees) and the season has been "suspended."
Stub Hub's policy is that tickets are only refunded when events are officially canceled, and MLB has not canceled these games--games through May 10 are "under review" and they are dangling the possibility that some number of these games could be rescheduled to later in the season, perhaps through double headers, so that 'every game' is played in terms of the number of times teams face each other. I have contacted Stub Hub, and had a LTE published in the Sun, and MLB has not made any new announcements for several weeks, even though opening day was 3/26 and every other sports league that was playing has officially canceled. I contacted StubHub and they won't issue refunds until MLB cancels the games. I have toyed with the idea of disputing the charge on my credit card. Thoughts?

Apr 10, 2020
I haven't--since I bought the tickets through StubHub I assumed MLB doesn't really have much to offer, until/unless they declare the games canceled.

Sam

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
The game has not officially been canceled so you will be unable to get a refund. However, as soon as MLB cancels the game I'm sure that stubhub will refund the cost of the tickets

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
There's several articles out there about this and stubhub in general. Basically the MLB won't cancel so stubhub won't refund and even then stubhub doesn't have the cash to refund everyone.

Similar problem with concert tickets too.

Unfortunately at the moment it looks like you'll have to just wait and see.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This problem is going to be growing bigger every week, across the country. Corporations don't have the kind of cash that would allow them to issue refunds ... that's the bottom line. I think tix holders for any public event are going to have to sit tight and redeem their tix for an event to be scheduled in the future. None of the parties involved is responsible for the coronavirus cancelling everything in sight. Tix holders cannot look to the seller for refunds. From what my husband tells me about player compensation, a few of them could kick in half their salaries and everyone holding an MLB tix could get a refund. I'm frankly surprised that a service like StubHub is even responding to refund demands ... that's impressive. Wish we had better news.

Reactions: ADM and Neil Maley