Missing Bonus Points

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

APW

Aug 30, 2019
Good Day, June 4, 2019 my husband and I switched from a no fee Hilton Honor American Express to the next level up-Hilton Honor Surpass card-$95 a year. I noticed a new member Welcome Bonus for 130,000 points to up grade. I new that even though we held the no fee card that we would qualify if we upgraded. My husband and I felt that it would benefit us greatly .We have had this HHAmEx for years and enjoyed the benefits. We learned years ago that if we use our AmEx cards (Delta Sky Mile, too) we can better afford to visit our family on the west coast.

Fast forward to (8/9/19)..I called to check on the bonus points and was told we didn't qualify. I requested an investigation and was told it would take 2 weeks and I would have to call back. (8/21/19) I called back and was told they are still working on it call the following week. I called yesterday (8/29/19) and spoke to a customer care person, they looked up my account and said that I would not receive the bonus points because I didn't include the CODE on my online application? What CODE??? We have been fantastic customers of AmEx, we have spent $35,000 on this card alone this year! We have never requested any other bonus except for this one-which we feel is due to us. I have tried to find a way to communicate with an American Express supervisor or anyone concerned with customer service and have found no way to communicated with them. A supervisor for Hilton Honors suggested we reach out to you. Thank you for your attention to our nightmare!

What's your desired resolution? 1-We deserve to have 130,000 Hilton Honor points added to our points total.
2-I would like to have the information to reach a "higher up" in both American Express and Hilton Honors. I did not list all of the many calls and inappropriate comments that have been made to me.

Sep 19, 2015
You can write to AmEx as they give out the points -- but there are so many restrictions on these offers -- such as

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

What were the terms of the offer? Many credit card companies limit the amount of welcome bonuses so as to discourage churners.

APW

Aug 30, 2019
You can write to AmEx as they give out the points -- but there are so many restrictions on these offers -- such as

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

What were the terms of the offer? Many credit card companies limit the amount of welcome bonuses so as to discourage churners.

It never occurred to me to make a copy of the offer. My mistake for sure! ...We have been customers for 27 years...I trusted American Express. I did ask about the prior customer thing and as long as I was a new owner of the Surpass Card we qualified!

Feb 21, 2018
You describe this in your first post as a "new member Welcome Bonus". If you are already a member of Hilton (by virtue of your original Hilton Honor Amex) you are likely not considered a 'new member' and might not qualify for that bonus.

I have read that Amex is severely limiting the number of bonus awards one individual can receive over time. Have you ever received any bonus points through them in the past?

Sep 19, 2015
I may have located the "code" to which they referred:

If you click that link , right above the OFFER TERMS section is this:

OFFER CODE: SJJI-5GNAMT-36V5-03F​

Once on that page, you can search for "code" to jump to it . . .
That offer seems to be for 150,000 points versus 130,000 that the OP mentions -- there can be so many different promos, some targeted, some more general, it can be really hard to figure which one was applied for without a screenshot,.

I see that there is a reference to AmEx cards -- as in plural -- many of the cards restrict the amount of bonuses per customers.

AmEx runs the promotion and decides who is eligible -- not Hilton -- so I think you have to write to AmEx.

Reactions: Neil Maley

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
That offer seems to be for 150,000 points versus 130,000 that the OP mentions -- there can be so many different promos, some targeted, some more general, it can be really hard to figure which one was applied for without a screenshot,.

I see that there is a reference to AmEx cards -- as in plural -- many of the cards restrict the amount of bonuses per customers.

AmEx runs the promotion and decides who is eligible -- not Hilton -- so I think you have to write to AmEx.
The web page I found is for the Hilton Honor Surpass card. It may be that the miles offer has gone up. My point was to show where the code would have been at the time they signed up . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I found this website that mentioned the 130,000 points but it specifically says new card holders and not available for applicants who have held three other types of cards. Are any of these three the card you had?

limited-time welcome offers for new Card Members

**Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card, the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express, or the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card.

https://newsroom.hilton.com/hilton-...hilton-honors-american-express-card-portfolio

This would not be the first time we have had complaints about these bonus offers. In almost all cases, the person writing already had a card and thought they were eligible for the new offer.

However, as far as a code needing to be input, I think it is very sneaky for this to be on those terms. I don't think if I had read that I would hav e thought I needed to add that code. In the terms (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...edit-card/ep-hscc-402?print=false#offer-terms) I don't see anything that says you have to add a code - I see a code but nothing saying you have to add it.

I would write to Amex and base my complaints on that and ask them to give you the points you should have if you were truly eligible for that card.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so very sorry that you're going through this. It's got to be disappointing and annoying. But the reality is this: switching from one CC to another is rarely eligible for a bonus. In your case, AmEx offers these bonus points to attract new customers. You're already a customer. I've carried an IHG card from Chase for many years. They are offering a "better one" with a big bonus. But I won't qualify; Chase is looking for new customers, I'm already a customer. I have very occasionally seen offers that will qualify, but the general rule is that they don't. I remember upgrading to the HH Aspire AmEx a couple of years ago from the Surpass, and they DID give the bonus. It was clearly stated on the offer.

May I suggest that you head over to FlyerTalk and have a look at the HH AmEx forums ... there just may be some intell out there that would help you. For instance, if the "required code" field didn't appear when you applied, maybe there's some help there. Good luck, I can't imagine how disappointing this is.

Sep 19, 2015
jsn55 makes a good point about the extra points are to attract new customers. I have been sent offers to upgrade 2 different cards to ones that give more points etc and have a bigger fee. I have not been offered any signing or big bonus, just what the new card offers -- because I am already a customer.

Was this a targeted offer, ie emailed like the ones I received, or one that was just seen on line?

The credit card companies are restricting bonuses to discourage churning -- the opening and closing of accounts just to get bonuses, because of all of the points bloggers out there.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
At this point, I think your case hinges upon how clearly you were advised of the need to enter the code, and how easily it is located. In my opinion, neither is very clear or obvious . . .