Misleading Tesla sales and marketing

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2020
I purchased a car from Tesla in December of last year and was told that a Federal and state tax credit was offered. These savings were prominently featured by both the website and showroom rep in reducing the total cost of the car. When I went to pickup the car, I was offered a filled out a EV MD application that I could submit. I submitted the application at the earliest on 1/3/20202 but was told by a MD MVA representative that the tax credit was depleted and would need to reauthorized (Maryland Clean Cars Act of 2019 (HB1246). She also mentioned that this should have been discussed at the time of car purchase that this tax credit may not be available. With the cornovirus depleting state budgets, this credit is unlikely to be reauthorized.

I find this deceptive on the part of Tesla to market these phantom tax savings to consumers at the time of purchase with no disclaimers. They continue to market this on their website (https://www.tesla.com/support/incentives) deceiving consumers.

I would like Tesla to reimburse me the state tax credit.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Was there a deadline when you needed to file the application?

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
You might be out of luck. The page you link states:

"Incentive programs are offered and administered by government agencies. Eligibility and availability vary and are outside of Tesla’s control. Most programs are limited to a total dollar amount that can be dispersed or will expire on a certain date. Be sure to visit the state program’s website for the most up-to-date information on availability and redemption requirements."

If you click through on the links for Maryland it takes you to a page that states funds were depleted 12/31/2019. https://energy.maryland.gov/transportation/Pages/incentives_evserebate.aspx

Apr 10, 2017
I purchased a car from Tesla in December of last year and was told that a Federal and state tax credit was offered. These savings were prominently featured by both the website and showroom rep in reducing the total cost of the car. When I went to pickup the car, I was offered a filled out a EV MD application that I could submit. I submitted the application at the earliest on 1/3/20202 but was told by a MD MVA representative that the tax credit was depleted and would need to reauthorized (Maryland Clean Cars Act of 2019 (HB1246). She also mentioned that this should have been discussed at the time of car purchase that this tax credit may not be available. With the cornovirus depleting state budgets, this credit is unlikely to be reauthorized.

I find this deceptive on the part of Tesla to market these phantom tax savings to consumers at the time of purchase with no disclaimers. They continue to market this on their website (https://www.tesla.com/support/incentives) deceiving consumers.

I would like Tesla to reimburse me the state tax credit.
I am not familiar with how Tesla sells cars but, in general, for any vehicle, anything that a salesperson says needs to be verified. Any written info that includes an asterisk requires the use of a magnifying glass to read the fine print. Tesla purchasers have not been eligible for the full $7500 federal credit for over a year. https://www.futurecar.com/3702/Tesl...Since-the-Introduction-of-the-Model-S-in-2012
The Maryland credit was exhausted in 2018. https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/NewsDetails2.aspx?NR=201814 The House Bill that you referenced was signed by the Governorand took effect on July 1, 2019. However, regardless of covid, I'm sure that you're aware of the discussions concerning the funding of the Thorton Plan. (Non-Maryland residents may ignore this.) IMHO, I doubt that HB1246 would have received funding.

So, depending on how the info was presented to you, it may or may not have been correct at that point in time. As always, the devil is in the details.

Dec 19, 2014
The website that you quoted also includes this : "Incentive programs are offered and administered by government agencies. Eligibility and availability vary and are outside of Tesla’s control. Most programs are limited to a total dollar amount that can be dispersed or will expire on a certain date. Be sure to visit the state program’s website for the most up-to-date information on availability and redemption requirements."

Unless you have something in writing with the tax savings guaranteed by Tesla, you may be out of luck

May 30, 2019
The Tesla site links to the MD state site, which has the details: https://marylandev.org/incentives/ Copy there reads "Maryland offers an excise tax credit of up to $3,000 for the purchase of qualified plug-in electric vehicles. Fiscal Year 2020 (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) funds have been depleted at this time, however credit request applications are still available and will only be processed if additional funding becomes available." So IMHO, the proper disclosures are in place, at least legally.

This forum promotes self-advocacy. With that in mind ... Have you contacted Tesla? Have you read through Tesla's marketing specifically, including their Terms & Conditions? On what dates did you purchase the vehicle and pick up the vehicle?

Aug 27, 2015
Tesla's truth in advertising goes far beyond the EV tax credit availability. From Auto-pilot that doesn't; to a 326-mile estimated driving range that tests out at 224 miles per Car & Driver; to being locked out (or worse, locked in) when the Tesla factory network goes down, it's really buyer beware with this outfit.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think people buy Teslas for the novelty and just put up with all the baloney and inconvenience. Surely nobody thinks that Tesla functions like General Motors.

Reactions: FrankL183
Apr 10, 2017
Tesla's truth in advertising goes far beyond the EV tax credit availability. From Auto-pilot that doesn't; to a 326-mile estimated driving range that tests out at 224 miles per Car & Driver; to being locked out (or worse, locked in) when the Tesla factory network goes down, it's really buyer beware with this outfit.
I don't drive a Tesla but I did consider them when i purchased an EV. My impression is that you've gotten info from some disgruntled Tesla owner website. The range is a number that comes from EPA testing, and I would guess that it is as accurate as MPG estimates are for ICE vehicles. I just googled for info about driving a Tesla if the factory network goes down and found nothing that you describe. Could you provide links for your assertions?

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
May 16, 2016
A car dealer is not responsible for the availability of tax incentives offered by a state agency any more than an HVAC contractor is responsible for making sure the new furnace or AC unit that you buy is eligible for energy-efficiency credits (which many states and the Federal government offer in a somewhat haphazard manner). They didn't mislead you. They just don't control what your state does or doesn't offer or whether the money runs out to fund the program.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Dec 20, 2017
The Federal Tax Credit is available to car manufacturers UP TO 200,000 vehicles, reducing as the numbers approach 200K.
It was well known and frequently in various articles that a FT credit of $1850 would end 12-31-19. I was under the impression that any Tesla sold prior to 12-31-19 would qualify and would be available after 12-31-19. I believe There is a separate state tax credit, which may be based on budgeted limits. I’m not aware that these changed. I question exactly what the a Tesla sales person said, whether they were talking about Federal or State or both or if what was said was misinterpreted.