Misleading Hewlett Packard Computer Warranty

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 25, 2016
I bought a Lenovo touch screen Win 10 computer[supposedly brand new] from Woot - was a great deal for this 128gb laptop I intended to use solely for internet activities - and when I got the item the warranty had started 29 days earlier when Lenovo sent the laptop to Woot.

So I began a little investigation of how this came to be - and uncovered a very unseemly side to this business - they sell refurbished - yet unopened items as new to a retailer - and start the warranty on the day they go out - and the buyer has no idea unless thy check the warranty remaining dates-
Joe, it is not uncommon for the manufacturer to start the warranty on the ship date as they have no idea how long the computer will sit in a warehouse. We have had that issue with Apple computers that we sold as we really liked selling discounted leftover boxes when new models came out. Fortunately, all it takes is a phone call and either a fax or email of a purchase receipt to reset the warranty date to the date of purchase, not the ship date. We have had the same thing with Lenovo, Western Digital and Seagate hard drives, etc. Sometimes, product sits for a very, very long time and the manufacturer has no idea when the actual sell through took place ... but, as I said, usually easily fixable.

Reactions: jsn55 and George M
May 17, 2016
I bought a Lenovo touch screen Win 10 computer[supposedly brand new] from Woot - was a great deal for this 128gb laptop I intended to use solely for internet activities - and when I got the item the warranty had started 29 days earlier when Lenovo sent the laptop to Woot.

So I began a little investigation of how this came to be - and uncovered a very unseemly side to this business - they sell refurbished - yet unopened items as new to a retailer - and start the warranty on the day they go out - and the buyer has no idea unless thy check the warranty remaining dates-
I just checked out the Woot site (I'd never heard of them), and every computer I saw says "Factory Reconditioned" next to the price. Perhaps this is a new policy???

May 17, 2016
Joe, it is not uncommon for the manufacturer to start the warranty on the ship date as they have no idea how long the computer will sit in a warehouse. We have had that issue with Apple computers that we sold as we really liked selling discounted leftover boxes when new models came out. Fortunately, all it takes is a phone call and either a fax or email of a purchase receipt to reset the warranty date to the date of purchase, not the ship date. We have had the same thing with Lenovo, Western Digital and Seagate hard drives, etc. Sometimes, product sits for a very, very long time and the manufacturer has no idea when the actual sell through took place ... but, as I said, usually easily fixable.
Good to know! But whenever I have purchased an appliance or electronics I register it, and one of the questions is the purchase date. So, I assume that the warranty begins from that date.

Oct 28, 2015
When big letters say 2-year warranty without as big modifiers (such as start date), and small print makes it start when already another factory warranty was on - than it is 2 year warranty from the end of the factory warranty regardless of what HP wishes it was. There is nothing "normal" about two warranties running together, and one of them being backdated. Deception it is. Argument are simple. Small print does not matter many times.
I tested this in small claim court. HP sent in local lawyer and lost. The Judge told HP - you cannot do do that and ordered HP to pay for the full replacement cost of currently available computer (the comp from 2 years ago was not available and the warranty states that if they cannot fix it they will replace it) having same or better capabilities.

Reactions: bill_the_cat
Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
why should the CUSTOMER have to prove their warranty date? The warranty states date of original PURCHASE - not date of original shipping.

My time is worth something - and I've just started sending bills to companies for my time wasted playing their game -

I've actually received a few gift cards that I use right away - I claim it is an unfair trade practice that diminishes the value of the warranty and contract -

Oct 28, 2015
Of course there are few more problems with those warranties as signaled by some.
(1) for repairs or exchanges they are sending USED or REFURBISHED (ergo USED) replacement which still have data from the previous ovner (what kind of refurbishement they do).
(2) REFURBISHED - is a scam too. It is meaningless without detailed description of what do they do that. The standard answer is: "it means that it meets manufacturer specification". But of course we do not know what these specification are, who checked them, and most importatnly what wass the defect that cause the computer to be returned by previous customer and was this defect specifically fixed. MOST OF THE TIME IT IS NOT FIXED.
(3) Which sale date they will use - the previous owner's?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
why should the CUSTOMER have to prove their warranty date? The warranty states date of original PURCHASE - not date of original shipping.

My time is worth something - and I've just started sending bills to companies for my time wasted playing their game -

I've actually received a few gift cards that I use right away - I claim it is an unfair trade practice that diminishes the value of the warranty and contract -
I agree, Joe ... warranties are to benefit the purchaser. If the product is sitting on a shelf for months, it's not being used, so why should the warranty begin when the manufacturer sells it to the retail outlet? This is kinda like the "everyone is doing it" excuse for pulling shenanigans. Just another seemingly innocent way to cheat customers.

I predict, for instance, that history will show that the manufacturers of printer ink have pulled the biggest scam in history by forcing you to change carts when the original one is far from being exhausted. Millions of dollars are wasted ... makes me almost as angry as contemplating airline change fees.

May 17, 2016
When big letters say 2-year warranty without as big modifiers (such as start date), and small print makes it start when already another factory warranty was on - than it is 2 year warranty from the end of the factory warranty regardless of what HP wishes it was. There is nothing "normal" about two warranties running together, and one of them being backdated. Deception it is. Argument are simple. Small print does not matter many times.
I tested this in small claim court. HP sent in local lawyer and lost. The Judge told HP - you cannot do do that and ordered HP to pay for the full replacement cost of currently available computer (the comp from 2 years ago was not available and the warranty states that if they cannot fix it they will replace it) having same or better capabilities.
Good for you for taking them on! I think most people figure they can't win against the big guys, but you proved it's very possible!

Reactions: jsn55
Jan 25, 2016

Joe,

I don't disagree with that at all ... it is certainly a time waste and your tack is great ... a small value gift card for your inconvenience is perfect. Of course, if the retailer properly reported the sale (with Apple computers, B&H and Adorama do so), we wouldn't have to deal with this. The manufacturer has no way of knowing the actual sell-through date without proper reporting from the reseller ... ultimately, it should be up to said reseller to "start the clock" on the warranty based on the purchaser's invoice.

Jan 25, 2016
Of course there are few more problems with those warranties as signaled by some.
(1) for repairs or exchanges they are sending USED or REFURBISHED (ergo USED) replacement which still have data from the previous ovner (what kind of refurbishement they do).
(2) REFURBISHED - is a scam too. It is meaningless without detailed description of what do they do that. The standard answer is: "it means that it meets manufacturer specification". But of course we do not know what these specification are, who checked them, and most importatnly what wass the defect that cause the computer to be returned by previous customer and was this defect specifically fixed. MOST OF THE TIME IT IS NOT FIXED.
(3) Which sale date they will use - the previous owner's?
You are 100% correct ... not only does refurbished not really mean anything (legally) ... what it does mean, practically, is that the computer was broken, it was returned and MAYBE it was fixed. Most of the time, the discount for a refurbished computer is nominal (less than 10%) making it no savings except to those who aren't observant. Now, if the discount for refurbished was 40-50% AND the unit came with the same full warranty as a new product, I'm all in!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
We were HP dealers for many, many years. Probably about 10 years ago, we actually begged HP to remove us from their authorized dealer listing as their products had fallen so far in quality. We actually received a desktop computer through distribution (not direct from HP) that had no installed hard drive! It took many phone calls and lost time to rectify that situation. But, that being said, there are no better laser printers on the market than HP. They are true workhorse printers (unless you insist on purchasing the $100 wonders ... then, you get what you pay for). Their laser printers last an exceptionally long time and, when they do break, parts are readily available and inexpensive. But, truly, run away from their computers and inkjet printers. We have settled on Lenovo (formerly IBM, but IBM Thinkpads were always built by Lenovo) for desktop and laptop computers. They are still available with Windows 7 (good for another four years) and very solidly built. Also, easily repairable as they are held together with screws not glue (bad Apple) or pressed together plastic (garbage from Asus, Acer, Gateway, etc.) I also repair a wide variety of laptops and Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba are the easiest to disassemble and repair. Asus, Acer, Gateway and their ilk are throw-aways ... they are so poorly constructed (and, fortunately, so dirt cheap) that one might as well toss them when they break. I mean, come on, why should I have to remove the display assembly to replace a hard drive (thanks Asus!). Ultimately, all computer extended warrantees begin on the date of purchase. AppleCare is marketed as a two years extension. HP probably just marketed the warranty incorrectly, but stupidly, as HP is known to do.
Thank you for adding this insider info. HP would be responsible for incorrect marketing though, no? It needs to market its warranty to do what it claims. So many things about a new computer may be confusing so by the time you select a warranty, customers are probably more likely to sign off without making sure it does what's it's supposed to do.

Feb 9, 2016
I haven't been following this thread closely but I wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was looking for water softeners and just saw an offer for an extended warranty and immediately knew that, if I was going to consider purchasing it, I needed to verify if this was a warranty that started after the initial warranty period expired, or during it.