Misleading Hewlett Packard Computer Warranty

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I try to be a savvy consumer, and believe in extended warranties in some cases. Computers are one of those cases.

We purchased a new HP desktop directly from HP last November. (What they sent was NOT a new unit; it had previously been registered to another person, but I digress .... I did get that fixed, though). The computer had a standard one year warranty.

Recently, a couple of months before the one year anniversary, we received an offer from HP to purchase a TWO YEAR extended warranty for the computer. We accepted.

After a couple of tech issues registering the new warranty, I called HP to learn that the TWO YEAR warranty we'd purchased dated from the original purchase date of the computer ... thus, it was really a one year warranty. I questioned how a warranty could be back-dated to cover time that had already passed, and the HP rep acknowledged that it was misleading.

So she offered us a THREE YEAR warranty (you guessed it: it commenced on the purchase date of the computer, last year) that is actually a TWO YEAR warranty. The price was within $10 of the other warranty, which she cancelled and refunded.

My point is that I'm now going to be certain to establish the start date (and end date) of any extended warranty, at the time of purchase of the warranty.

I really believe HP's backdating the effective date of coverage to the purchase date is misleading, if not downright deceptive.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
I try to be a savvy consumer, and believe in extended warranties in some cases. Computers are one of those cases.

We purchased a new HP desktop directly from HP last November. (What they sent was NOT a new unit; it had previously been registered to another person, but I digress .... I did get that fixed, though). The computer had a standard one year warranty.

Recently, a couple of months before the one year anniversary, we received an offer from HP to purchase a TWO YEAR extended warranty for the computer. We accepted.

After a couple of tech issues registering the new warranty, I called HP to learn that the TWO YEAR warranty we'd purchased dated from the original purchase date of the computer ... thus, it was really a one year warranty. I questioned how a warranty could be back-dated to cover time that had already passed, and the HP rep acknowledged that it was misleading.

So she offered us a THREE YEAR warranty (you guessed it: it commenced on the purchase date of the computer, last year) that is actually a TWO YEAR warranty. The price was within $10 of the other warranty, which she cancelled and refunded.

My point is that I'm now going to be certain to establish the start date (and end date) of any extended warranty, at the time of purchase of the warranty.

I really believe HP's backdating the effective date of coverage to the purchase date is misleading, if not downright deceptive.
There is nothing NEW to this practice, it has been standard procedure for many years and applies to tvS and other equipment as well.

Sep 17, 2016
Did you purchase the computer with a credit card? I ask because most credit card companies will add a year to the manufacturers warranty up to 3 years. So if you have a 1 year manufacture warranty, the credit card will double it to 2 years. If you have a 2 year manufacture warranty, the credit card will add a year for a total of 3.

The process is normally contact your CC company when the computer breaks. File a claim. Send them the cost to repair. They send you a check. I've had to use this a few times over the years and it's a fairly easy process.

But regarding your HP issue; most all warranties have a start date of the purchase date of the product, not the warranty. That's pretty much standard from what I've seen.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@bjvista and @mmb - I probably wasn't clear in my original post.

I'd owned the computer for nearly a year when the offer for the 2-year extended warranty came in. They are saying that that offer offered protection since the original purchase date and would be valid for just one more year.

I just find it crooked that they'd offer something for two years when one year of coverage had already passed ...

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014

I'd owned the computer for nearly a year when the offer for the 2-year extended warranty came in. They are saying that that offer offered protection since the original purchase date and would be valid for just one more year.

I just find it crooked that they'd offer something for two years when one year of coverage had already passed ...
Well I agree it's crooked as heck ;)

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard
Aug 28, 2015
New York

@cp556 HP has become a bad company. Apparently its newest thing, which I'm sure someone will contact Chris about soon, is that it provided an update for its printers that suddenly rendered the printer unable to accept anything but HP ink. Meanwhile, people who had the printer for months were forced pay for the more expensive ink or the printer was useless.
My HP printer broke 13 months after purchase. While it missed the HP warranty by a month, Amex purchase protection credited my account for the amount I paid and I got a cannon.

I have also ordered ink directly from the company and had my printer tell me it was not new. You deserve a refund, not an extended warranty. They sold you something someone probably returned already.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@cp556 HP has become a bad company. Apparently its newest thing, which I'm sure someone will contact Chris about soon, is that it provided an update for its printers that suddenly rendered the printer unable to accept anything but HP ink. Meanwhile, people who had the printer for months were forced pay for the more expensive ink or the printer was useless.
My HP printer broke 13 months after purchase. While it missed the HP warranty by a month, Amex purchase protection credited my account for the amount I paid and I got a cannon.

I have also ordered ink directly from the company and had my printer tell me it was not new. You deserve a refund, not an extended warranty. They sold you something someone probably returned already.

Thanks @AAGK . You may enjoy hearing that the first computer I got from them last November was "new". When it arrived and I was setting it up, it said WELCOME LINDA HOPKINS (someone I'd never heard of). Seems the aforementioned Ms Hopkins had set up her preferences on this machine.

I was on the phone to HP thisquick saying they'd sent me a used/returned computer. After three people denied it, one agreed with me, blamed a warehouse error, and sent me a truly new computer. It was a shame I had to find that out the hard way!!!

We really have to be proactive when we buy anything. And these forums have made me believe that more than ever.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have made exactly one purchase from HP, a laptop, many years ago. Several months later, getting ready for a trip to Europe, II couldn't find any information on whether the thing was dual-voltage or not. I called HP, they wanted to charge me for customer service. Strike one. Then they told me it was 'probably' dual voltage. Great, I'll take it to France and hope it doesn't blow up. Strike two. I finally called the Sales Department and they told me that it was d/v. HP is arrogant ... their motto is "Thanks for your money, now get lost". Of course, most companies are like that now, but I think HP led it off 15 years ago.

cp556 is so right - consumers must be proactive every time. Unless it's in writing, it doesn't exist. If you have a one-year warranty and in the 9th month they offer you a two-year warranty, nobody with a brain would think that the two-year would be dated back to the purchase date. Slimy.

Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
I have made exactly one purchase from HP, a laptop, many years ago. Several months later, getting ready for a trip to Europe, II couldn't find any information on whether the thing was dual-voltage or not. I called HP, they wanted to charge me for customer service. Strike one. Then they told me it was 'probably' dual voltage. Great, I'll take it to France and hope it doesn't blow up. Strike two. I finally called the Sales Department and they told me that it was d/v. HP is arrogant ... their motto is "Thanks for your money, now get lost". Of course, most companies are like that now, but I think HP led it off 15 years ago.

cp556 is so right - consumers must be proactive every time. Unless it's in writing, it doesn't exist. If you have a one-year warranty and in the 9th month they offer you a two-year warranty, nobody with a brain would think that the two-year would be dated back to the purchase date. Slimy.
For anyone wondering whether or not their laptop, phone, etc. is "dual voltage" take a look at the tiny fine print on the device's charger. Look for the word "input." Most will say "Input 100-240v / 50-60hz" and that indicates that they can be used almost anywhere if you have an adapter for the plug. Appliances that run directly from an outlet without a charger are a completely different story.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks @AAGK . You may enjoy hearing that the first computer I got from them last November was "new". When it arrived and I was setting it up, it said WELCOME LINDA HOPKINS (someone I'd never heard of). Seems the aforementioned Ms Hopkins had set up her preferences on this machine.

I was on the phone to HP thisquick saying they'd sent me a used/returned computer. After three people denied it, one agreed with me, blamed a warehouse error, and sent me a truly new computer. It was a shame I had to find that out the hard way!!!

We really have to be proactive when we buy anything. And these forums have made me believe that more than ever.
My laptop is still HP. For PC people, HP was always legit. Now, it's like everything else. Proactive indeed, Ms. Hopkins.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Asus is my new laptop - you know, the one that runs on W-10, ugh, ugh, ugh. I based my purchase on the fact that Dan's had a little Asus tablet that he has not been able to destroy in 5 or 6 years. For him, that's an amazing record.

When I reflect back, I think I paid nearly $2K for that HP laptop probably 8 years ago ... he was a good boy but I wanted something else so I gave him to Dan who wrecked him in six months. My new Azzie cost under $500. Dan doesn't touch her!

Jul 27, 2016
Gotta say, I've had Thinkpads for nearly 20 years now, and I've never been disappointed with the laptops, or the service. When Lenovo bought the business from IBM, they kept the tech support call center (in North Carolina), and those folks are just great.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO

I can see why you are disappointed.
I'm sure that I was also disappointed the first time I ran into this 'detail.' I used to buy computers all the time for the CAD operators at my husband's architectural firm. As i said, this has been SOP for YEARS. It was an extended 2-year warranty - extended from one year to two.
Since you had not run into this before, you mis-understood the offer (lingo, terms, etc.). I agree it is underhanded, but it was not unusual.

May 17, 2016

I'm more interested in your assertion that the new computer was not really new. How did you get that fixed? Did they replace it? Or did they offer you some money back?
And I think the warranty was misstated--it was an extended warranty, not an additional one.

Reactions: AAGK
May 17, 2016

Yes, this ink thing is annoying and ridiculous. Not only do you need genuine HP cartridges, but the cartridges have an expiration date! Therefore, you shouldn't stock up on them because you stand the chance of their having expired by the time you need them. Time to find another brand of printer.

Reactions: jsn55 and AAGK
Aug 28, 2015
New York
Yes, this ink thing is annoying and ridiculous. Not only do you need genuine HP cartridges, but the cartridges have an expiration date! Therefore, you shouldn't stock up on them because you stand the chance of their having expired by the time you need them. Time to find another brand of printer.
I've never heard the expiration part. I recommend the Cannon Pixma, my first non HP printer in forever and so far so good. The ink is a bit annoying as it's not just color and black but separate colors. Ink is very expensive if you print often. I'm sure there is a print club that sends the ink at intervals so you can avoid the expiration issue. I haven't sourced this but I plan too. Otherwise, I would overstock when I found a better ink deal, and it would not occur to me that I was on borrowed time. Thank you for that info.

Reactions: jsn55
Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
I bought a Lenovo touch screen Win 10 computer[supposedly brand new] from Woot - was a great deal for this 128gb laptop I intended to use solely for internet activities - and when I got the item the warranty had started 29 days earlier when Lenovo sent the laptop to Woot.

So I began a little investigation of how this came to be - and uncovered a very unseemly side to this business - they sell refurbished - yet unopened items as new to a retailer - and start the warranty on the day they go out - and the buyer has no idea unless thy check the warranty remaining dates-

Reactions: jsn55
Jan 25, 2016
Gotta say, I've had Thinkpads for nearly 20 years now, and I've never been disappointed with the laptops, or the service. When Lenovo bought the business from IBM, they kept the tech support call center (in North Carolina), and those folks are just great.
We were HP dealers for many, many years. Probably about 10 years ago, we actually begged HP to remove us from their authorized dealer listing as their products had fallen so far in quality. We actually received a desktop computer through distribution (not direct from HP) that had no installed hard drive! It took many phone calls and lost time to rectify that situation. But, that being said, there are no better laser printers on the market than HP. They are true workhorse printers (unless you insist on purchasing the $100 wonders ... then, you get what you pay for). Their laser printers last an exceptionally long time and, when they do break, parts are readily available and inexpensive. But, truly, run away from their computers and inkjet printers. We have settled on Lenovo (formerly IBM, but IBM Thinkpads were always built by Lenovo) for desktop and laptop computers. They are still available with Windows 7 (good for another four years) and very solidly built. Also, easily repairable as they are held together with screws not glue (bad Apple) or pressed together plastic (garbage from Asus, Acer, Gateway, etc.) I also repair a wide variety of laptops and Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba are the easiest to disassemble and repair. Asus, Acer, Gateway and their ilk are throw-aways ... they are so poorly constructed (and, fortunately, so dirt cheap) that one might as well toss them when they break. I mean, come on, why should I have to remove the display assembly to replace a hard drive (thanks Asus!). Ultimately, all computer extended warrantees begin on the date of purchase. AppleCare is marketed as a two years extension. HP probably just marketed the warranty incorrectly, but stupidly, as HP is known to do.