Mattress Firm - issues

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 22, 2020
- I purchased a TemurPedic mattress from Mattress Firm and desired to return it unused due to a series of issues. 1)The customer service line refers me to the retail shop where I purchased it and the salesman at the store wished to charge me a $500 restocking fee of which was not described to me nor is in the sales receipt given me at the time of purchase (2/8). 2)The initial mattress that was delivered (2/9) had no certification tag (which was the real first issue) and upon providing them with that documentation it was exchanged 2 days later (2/11). 3)During this time there was what I would consider an extreme amount of "gassing" from the first, and most likely the second mattress, which permeated my whole home. The salesman said this is normal and if I left my windows open (in the winter?) it would help and should abate. Also, for being a Firm ProAdapt King Mattress, the times I attempted to lay on either King mattress a hole would form at my hips laying on my side and to roll out of it I would have to raise a leg and roll up to a level side of the mattress and across an incision area in my back from previous surgeries irritating that area in my back. I do expect the mattress to give, but definitely not that much. 3)Two days after receiving the second mattress (2/13) I returned to the salesman expressing these concerns and my dissatisfaction and a desire to return it as unused (*I should note that there was no major sagging of this magnitude in testing the display model.) This was when I learned about the restocking fee. I refused to sign off on the the restocking fee and still wished to return it. The salesman stated he would have to contact his management 4)That evening not wishing to be charged for product I couldn't use or back charged a restocking fee to my credit card and knowing it would take time until this was all resolved, I disputed the charge or any new charges with my credit card company. 5)Last Friday (2/14), I received notice from the salesman that management's answer was "Heisman" and they weren't changing their policy. He suggested if I try it for the 30 day break-in period there was a possibility of waiving the restocking fee. I was required to attend a memorial and funeral service for a close personal friend over that weekend and upon returning Monday (2/17) had a message they would be picking up the mattress on Tuesday. 6)I contacted the salesman asking if the issue had been resolved. His answer was it had not and that I should really try the break-in period and could still cancel the pick up. He went on to explain to me what "Heisman" meant, how "bunching" works and that the gassing will abate, and that he's just the salesman not management. Not willing to relinquish what leverage I might have holding onto the mattress I reluctantly agreed to attempt to try the 30 day trial period. He stated he'd have to quickly call the delivery people to cancel the pick up. Within a few minutes afterwards I received phone notice they would be here to pick up the mattress in 10 minutes. I was home all day, they never showed up (2/18).
- Over the years I have gotten 4 TempurPedic firm mattresses from Mattress Firm (2 queen size and 2 King size, all firms, they should have a record of that), initially replacing an older Orthopedic mattress because of my back issues. I have had no back problems with them, no sinking, no bunching or noticeable gassing. I was able to sleep in them the first night without any break-in. They were all purchased at the same store I purchased this one. I choose TempurPedic because of the quality and results I've gotten. I believe the others similar to TempurPedic that have come out are poor attempts to replicate it's quality. The queen I still have in my guest room now is at least 10 years old (probably 12 to 13 years, less used lately because of the King size) and I don't sink into it any where near as far as this new King. I'm sleeping on the queen again because of the problems with the new King. I chose same Mattress Firm Store because of the successes and have never encountered the issues as I have had lately. I believe I have been a loyal customer and would prefer to be treated like one, and because of my back, am willing to make any reasonable attempt to resolve this issue. Had I been made aware of the restocking issue at the time of my purchase either verbally or in writing it would've presented a red flag to me. As it was, receiving an untagged, softer, highly noxious mattress should've been enough of a red flag for me to terminate any arrangement. The softness of the latest mattress and having had to deal through only the salesman and not having any name or number with-in Mattress Firm of authority to handle this problem is very trying. I do realize the salesman's mission is to sell a product, and he is quite a salesman, but unlike my mission, which is to secure a bed of support for my back. At this point in time and because of all the convolutions I would prefer the return of the unused king mattress to them with a full refund of my charge with no restocking fee. The only thing i could add is a lengthy account of the many conversations I've had with the salesman.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
From the information you have posted
  • First, I have an incision in my back from previous surgeries that necessitate a working FIRM mattress
  • Over the years I have purchased 4 TempurPedic "firm" mattresses from Mattress Firm (same store) with no issues
  • On February 9th, a TemurPedic mattress from Mattress Firm was delivered with no no certification tag
  • It was exchanged tow days later but each one exhibited an extreme amount of "gassing" which permeated my home
  • The salesman said this is normal and if I left my windows open (in the winter?) it would help and should abate
  • Whenever I attempted to lay on either mattress a hole would form at my hips
  • To roll out of it I would have to raise a leg and roll up to a level side of the mattress which then irritated my back
  • No sagging of this magnitude was present when I tested the display model
  • On February 13th I returned to the local salesman, expressing these concerns and my desire to return it as unused
  • When I learned for the first time about the $500 restocking fee, which I declined, the salesman stated he would have to contact his management
  • Had I been made aware of the restocking issue at the time of my purchase either verbally or in writing it would've presented a red flag to me
  • Knowing that this could take a long time, I disputed the charge or any new charges with my credit card company
  • On February 14th, the salesman stated that if I try it for the 30 day break-in period there was a possibility of waiving the restocking fee
  • I decided to try that but I still want to return this without a restocking fee
I recommend that you escalate this in writing. The information you have posted here should be summarized as above. You could use that, or create your own.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/mattress-firm/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Feb 22, 2020
VoR61 - I followed your lead/recommendations and within a half day had a response from the regional district manager. After a conversation without elaborating too much on the issues, the DM agreed with me and offered to resolve the problem completely to my satisfaction. As of today, I've gotten a full refund. Although I'm still searching for a mattress that will support my back, I really appreciate your help and insights. Thank you very much. - Bob OL