marriott overbooked and charged me anyway

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2017
I had a reservation at Marriott. Arrived at the hotel and they overbooked the hotel; so I had no room. Stood there over 30 minutes while they tried to locate a room in another hotel. I get my credit card bill, and I was charged for both hotels. I have called Marriott numerous times, and the ONE person in all of Marriott that can address my problem is currently unavailable. They will try to resolve the problem within 5 days if possible.

I guess this is how Marriott makes a profit. They charge me for two different hotels (both Marriott), and then they try to hold on to my money.

Apr 28, 2017
I must admit not long -- started calling yesterday. Last night they told me to call back today. I have called back a few times today. I called the hotel itself, and they said the one person that can help me will get back to me today by 5. That usually means if I have not received a call by 5 and I call back, that person is gone for the day. I called the 800 customer service number and they told me they could probably get it resolved in 3-5 days. They also told me they would try contacting the hotel and call me right back. I don't know what their definition of right back is, but that was about 1.5-2 hours ago.

I booked that room more than a month in advance. Is this how Marriott makes money? They overbook and hope some don't show or cancel, and they get 2 charges for the price of one room?

I feel like we got burned with the overbooking and now I have to waste my time trying to get my money back. My credit card payment is due; so I'll have to file a dispute which takes even more time.

Mike Z

Jan 8, 2015
Which property did you contact? If the one you originally booked with then call the other property and speak with the manager on duty and let them know you were walked there but was charged by their business as well as the original one.

You haven't even waited 24 hours, so I think it is a little too soon to start ranting about how they do business. I hope you don't use the same language when you are discussing things with them as it will get you nowhere. Be polite.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is not a conspiracy to double-charge you, it's an error.
Surely you don't think someone will fix it in 5 minutes ... if you don't have a resolution inside the 5 days, come back to us and we'll guide you through our tried & true process. Filing a CC dispute takes 3 minutes online, but you should avoid it if possible and give Marriott a chance to make you whole. Unless your CC bill is due 3 days after you receive it, you have time before the payment is due. If you stay at Marriott properties often, ask them for some points to compensate you for your time and trouble.

Reactions: John Galbraith
Aug 13, 2016
In all my decades of travel, I have been "walked" twice by hotels. Both times it was a Marriott with a "guaranteed reservation". Once, I had even called the hotel to let them know I would be arriving well past 6pm. Fortunately, it has been a long time since it has happened but when I saw this traveler's post that a Marriott did that to him, it was not lost on me.

I asked the hotels, if I had not shown, would they have charged me for a room they did not have. They replied, "Yes, of course".

However this traveler should not be charged twice.In my instances, I was able to get them to give me that first night free. I also like the suggestion to ask Marriott to give you additional Reward points. That is easier for them to do than a refund.