Marriott Hotels in Augusta Georgia - Not Honoring Reservations

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 9, 2020
I, as well as many others, have had several Augusta Georgia Marriott Hotels forcefully cancel and not honor reservations.

Hotels that have cancelled reservations without authority include: SpringHill Suites Augusta; Fairfield Inn and Suites Augusta; Residence Inn Augusta. The Courtyard Augusta has expressed their interest in cancelling reservations but has yet to do so.

These reservations should be primarily guaranteed as provided in our confirmations and subsequently protected by the terms and conditions provided by Marriott.

I’d ultimately prefer that my guaranteed reservations are honored. Short of honoring my reservations, I would like to have the “Ultimate Reservation Guarantee” honored.

The Marriott website provides:
If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

One of the hotels shared that my reservations “were cancelled due to an existing contract that has the rooms already booked”. This action is also contrary to the Marriott policy, whereas changes to existing reservations would be “subject to availability”.

The Marriott policy provides:
The following policies are implemented with respect to individual rooms booked into Group blocks (e.g., for meetings, events or conferences) for both cancelled and non-cancelled events:
For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date who booked rooms into a Group block via a direct Marriott channel (e.g., Marriott.com or directly with the hotel), including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by June 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences. Guests can cancel or change existing reservations regardless of whether the event itself has been cancelled.

Furthermore, several of these hotels, after having forcefully cancelling my reservations, continued to offer rooms at extraordinarily high rates ($1495/$1499). Meaning the availability of rooms (at least 6) continued, but only if the reservation was now made at a higher profit margin and was non-refundable.

If hotels can legally deploy this practice of cancelling reservations for whatever reason they believe justified (without recourse), how can the consumer have any faith in: 1) any “guaranteed” reservation; 2) the rate and terms within the reservation; 3) the “ultimate reservation guarantee” benefits provided by the Marriott website for “not honoring” a reservation; 4) any future reservation which could be cancelled to “optimize” the hotel’s revenue; 5) the hotel honoring any other contract or commitment.

I have escalated my concerns to each of the hotels, to the Marriott Elite team, and to Marriott Consumer Affairs. To my displeasure, none of these responses have supported honoring the policies or reservations.

Although I have yet to have a reasonable and satisfactory response, I will not stand idly by and allow the unauthorized cancellation of reservations, especially those with actions that are contrary to the guarantees provided, go without consequence.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
We'll need more information to give you any suggestions. Things like 1) when did you book 2) when was the reservation for 3) when and how was it canceled 4) how did you book.

May 30, 2019
Is the reservation in question is prior to 5/13, based on the governor's recent orders, Marriott may be obligated to cancel the reservation, especially if you are traveling from out of state.

Jun 10, 2019
I'm going to guess that these reservations are for the dates in November to which the Masters golf tournament has been provisionally postponed (November 9-15), and the hotels are moving the room blocks for the original dates to the November dates, and kicking out individual reservations.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I, as well as many others, have had several Augusta Georgia Marriott Hotels forcefully cancel and not honor reservations.

Hotels that have cancelled reservations without authority include: SpringHill Suites Augusta; Fairfield Inn and Suites Augusta; Residence Inn Augusta. The Courtyard Augusta has expressed their interest in cancelling reservations but has yet to do so.

These reservations should be primarily guaranteed as provided in our confirmations and subsequently protected by the terms and conditions provided by Marriott.

I’d ultimately prefer that my guaranteed reservations are honored. Short of honoring my reservations, I would like to have the “Ultimate Reservation Guarantee” honored.

The Marriott website provides:
If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

One of the hotels shared that my reservations “were cancelled due to an existing contract that has the rooms already booked”. This action is also contrary to the Marriott policy, whereas changes to existing reservations would be “subject to availability”.

The following policies are implemented with respect to individual rooms booked into Group blocks (e.g., for meetings, events or conferences) for both cancelled and non-cancelled events:
For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date who booked rooms into a Group block via a direct Marriott channel (e.g., Marriott.com or directly with the hotel), including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by June 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences. Guests can cancel or change existing reservations regardless of whether the event itself has been cancelled.

Furthermore, several of these hotels, after having forcefully cancelling my reservations, continued to offer rooms at extraordinarily high rates ($1495/$1499). Meaning the availability of rooms (at least 6) continued, but only if the reservation was now made at a higher profit margin and was non-refundable.

If hotels can legally deploy this practice of cancelling reservations for whatever reason they believe justified (without recourse), how can the consumer have any faith in: 1) any “guaranteed” reservation; 2) the rate and terms within the reservation; 3) the “ultimate reservation guarantee” benefits provided by the Marriott website for “not honoring” a reservation; 4) any future reservation which could be cancelled to “optimize” the hotel’s revenue; 5) the hotel honoring any other contract or commitment.

I have escalated my concerns to each of the hotels, to the Marriott Elite team, and to Marriott Consumer Affairs. To my displeasure, none of these responses have supported honoring the policies or reservations.

Although I have yet to have a reasonable and satisfactory response, I will not stand idly by and allow the unauthorized cancellation of reservations, especially those with actions that are contrary to the guarantees provided, go without consequence.
If you are looking to us for advice, please make a list of the facts in chronological order so we can understand your situation. Perhaps we can help you pursue this. If the hotels are cancelling just because they CAN, cancelling to make those rooms available at a much higher rate, we can definitely help you. Just let us know the details ... just the facts of the transactions.

Reactions: Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our company contacts for Marriott:

Here is how to escalate:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm going to guess that these reservations are for the dates in November to which the Masters golf tournament has been provisionally postponed (November 9-15), and the hotels are moving the room blocks for the original dates to the November dates, and kicking out individual reservations.
I suspect that this is the issue as the hotels had promised large groups that they would honor their existing reservations from last week for the canceled Master's Tournament that is rescheduled for November. The listed rates of $1400 tell the tale-there is nothing in Augusta GA that will command those rates except the Masters.
Until the OP gives the dates of the reservation there is no way to advise further. The Masters is scheduled for NOV 12 - 15. Another consequence of COVID-19.

Sep 27, 2018
I suspect that this is the issue as the hotels had promised large groups that they would honor their existing reservations from last week for the canceled Master's Tournament that is rescheduled for November. The listed rates of $1400 tell the tale-there is nothing in Augusta GA that will command those rates except the Masters.
Until the OP gives the dates of the reservation there is no way to advise further. The Masters is scheduled for NOV 12 - 15. Another consequence of COVID-19.
Plus, when the reservation was made.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I talked with a friend that is going to the Masters. He booked a room at a regular price as soon as the alternative dates were announced (I don't know which hotel he booked) and the hotel canceled it pretty quickly. Prices for the hotel then went up quite a bit and he rebooked with a different one at a more reasonable rate slightly outside of Augusta.

Sep 27, 2018
The hotel likely has a contract with the golf tournament and when the tournament date was changed the hotel had to follow those dates.
I understand this, but the basic question is what good is a reservation if a hotel can unilaterally cancel it because they have a higher bidder?

Reactions: Pixie Pie

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I understand this, but the basic question is what good is a reservation if a hotel can unilaterally cancel it because they have a higher bidder?
Lacking any specifics of your reservations such as dates, there is little else to add other than to direct you to the Marriott contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/

It is not possible to offer any concrete suggestions without more information. We are only guessing about your issues.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s not only that they have a higher bidder- if they had a contract with the golf tournament, they could possibly be sued if they didn’t move the dates for them.

Sep 19, 2015
It is not just a higher bidder— it was a rescheduled prior contract. And it was rescheduled because of the pandemic.

Many hotels have been good with refunding non refundable reservations because of the pandemic. Marriott has been one of them and allowed people to cancel the restricted reservation.

I do not think that this is a normal event for Marriott.

There is not much I can suggest other than writing the contacts.

Apr 9, 2020
We'll need more information to give you any suggestions. Things like 1) when did you book 2) when was the reservation for 3) when and how was it canceled 4) how did you book.
Additional Details for several of the reservations made:

March 13 - Booked Reservations via Marriott website with Titanium Elite number
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for October 4 - 12, Rate $89/nt
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for November 8 - 11, Avg Rate $127.33/nt
@ SpringHill Suites Augusta for October 7 - 12, Rate $102/nt
@ Courtyard Augusta for November 7 - 16, Rate $109/nt

March 17 - Booked Reservations via Marriott website or app with Titanium Elite number
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for October 4 - 9, Rate $89/nt
@ SpringHill Suites Augusta for October 7 - 12, Rate $102/nt

March 18 - Booked Reservations via Marriott website or app with Titanium Elite number
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for October 11 - 16, Rate $99/nt
@ SpringHill Suites Augusta for October 17 - 26, Rate $102/nt

March 19 - All Reservations @ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington and SpringHill Suites Augusta with Travel Days in October cancelled by Hotel Staff; Contacted Marriott Elite Services – unauthorized cancellations

March 21 – Written response Provided from Asst GM at SpringHill Suites:
Your inquiry concerning the cancellation of your October reservations was forwarded to me by Marriott Customer Care. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we cannot honor any reservations in October at this time. Due to obligations with groups already contracted with us that have rescheduled their events to October due to the COVID-19 situation, we are unable to honor the reservations, and any further reservations made will also be canceled. This is a developing situation and dates are changing rapidly, we ask that all guests inquire with us after the state of emergency is lifted when we hope to have more information.

March 21 – Rooms remain AVAILABLE from the SpringHill Suites Augusta at $1495/$1499 per night with updated Cancellation terms and conditions
SPH March 21.png
Search for 3 Rooms – 5 nights per Reservation

SPH March 21 Rate.png
Ability to book at least 3 rooms in 2 different room types (at least 6 AVAILABLE Rooms):
• Special Event Noted
• Dates provided
• Non-Cancellable
• $1496 or $1499/night/room
• Rate Details - Shows Masters 2020

Search for 3 Rooms – 1 night per reservation

March 24 - Rooms remain AVAILABLE from the SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inn Augusta Washington at $1495/$1499 per night with updated Cancellation terms and conditions

SPH March 24 Rooms.png

FFI March 24 Month.png

March 29 - Booked New Reservation(s) via Marriott app with Titanium Elite number
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for November 7 - 16, Avg Rate $89/nt

March 30 - Booked New Reservations via Marriott app with Titanium Elite number
@ Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta Washington for November 6 - 16, Avg Rate $99/nt
@ Courtyard Augusta for November 7 - 16, Rate $85/nt

April 3 – Conversation with Marriott Consumer Affairs & SpringHill GM
- GM shared that a “rate issue” has been adequately addressed

April 6 – Masters rescheduled for November 9-15

April 8 - Advanced warning from Augusta Courtyard of their intent to Cancel reservations (as of 4/16/2020 Augusta Courtyard has not cancelled the referenced reservations)
Dear Guest,
Our records indicate that you made one or more reservations at the Courtyard Augusta, GA for the week of November 9th. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the Masters Golf Tournament has been rescheduled to this time frame. Our hotel is 100% contracted for the Masters Golf Tournament.
We are bound to honor our contract and will not be able to accommodate your reservations. We value your business and would value the opportunity to move your reservation to another date. For support to do this, please connect with us at: 706-737-3737.
On April 10th 2020 we will be canceling your current reservations booked at the Courtyard Augusta. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause

April 8 – Marriott email “An update from our CEO” – Change Policy:
For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival, as long as the change or cancellation is made by June 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.

April 16 – as of today, None of my November reservations have been cancelled

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They came out and told you that they canceled due to the contract they had. There are no laws that prevent a hotel from canceling a guests reservations.

Why did you book so many rooms?

We have company contacts on this site - you can try writing to Marriott and asking for what you want and see what they say.

Sep 19, 2015
You started making bookings the date that the Masters was announced as postponed.

Then more bookings were made to basically take as many rooms as possible on the possible rescheduled dates and take advantage of the flexible change policies.

These appear to be speculative bookings to hold as rooms on as many dates as possible with the intention of canceling the ones during non Masters dates.

I am doubtful that Marriott will hold much sympathy to this plight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, this all looks like an attempt to book inexpensive rooms for a huge event that's being rescheduled. Hotels don't have to accept reservations from anyone, and they are free to cancel reservations for any reason. That's the "it's their hotel" philosophy. They just didn't move fast enough to show all the hotels sold out from their contractual agreement with the Masters.