Marriott/Chase credit card bonus not honored.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 14, 2016
@bnalex time to stop speaking to Chase and starting a conversation with the Marriott executives. You have proof what you applied for and Marriott hired Chase to administer their Loyalty Brand Card.
The bank customer service people have no authority to assist you.
Thank you. Should I start from the bottom again...or go directly to the top. Probably all best in writing too. What do you think?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you. Should I start from the bottom again...or go directly to the top. Probably all best in writing too. What do you think?
Never start at the top. You have no one else to appeal to if your letter is rejected.

Our advice is always to start at Customer Service, give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or the answer is no, write to the first executives, telling them you never heard from CS (or the answer isn't what you want). Give it a week, then write to the next. Hopefully the issue will be resolved before you have to go all the way up.

But when you send it directly to the CEO and you get a no - you have lost your chances of someone under them that might have felt sorry for you or agreed with your assessment who could have fixed it.

Jun 14, 2016
Never start at the top. You have no one else to appeal to if your letter is rejected.

Our advice is always to start at Customer Service, give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or the answer is no, write to the first executives, telling them you never heard from CS (or the answer isn't what you want). Give it a week, then write to the next. Hopefully the issue will be resolved before you have to go all the way up.

But when you send it directly to the CEO and you get a no - you have lost your chances of someone under them that might have felt sorry for you or agreed with your assessment who could have fixed it.
Thank you very much. I will do so.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@bnalex - I would also be careful about deciding to cancel this card and start again. One of the terms posted in the screenshot earlier said eligibility was only if "you do not have this card and have not received the cardmember bonus in the past 24 months". Since they gave you 10,000 points they would probably argue that this Term applied if you opened a new account and tried for a bonus at that time. Just my 2¢.

I DO agree that you should approach Marriott and see if they can assist.....after all, it's their name on the deal.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 14, 2016
Thank you. I will handle it that way. And, you are correct for sure. Earlier on they tried to say I had already received the bonus and were referring to the 10,000. They later changed their mind about that. That was something I could prove. The vague "it came in on the incorrect offer portal" is impossible for me to challenge.

Reactions: AAGK
Jul 3, 2016
I have a Marriott rewards card (among others) and have had one for several years. I still get this offer; or something like it every so often in my email in box. I think my card was 50,000/$3000/3months...if you charge every purchas you make (even at fast food restr.) you'd be surprised how fast you can get to $3000. All things said and done I can feel the pain you must have but I have 2 chase cards and they have always been great to deal with as far as problems with purchases etc. We have a SW card and have had for several years too as well as a Capital One Venture card...we pay off all purchases every month so we've never been charged interest on any of these cards and now we have a lot of points/miles on SW and Venture...not so much on Marriott but we do like the hotels that hey have. I would follow Neil's advice and contact Marriott...they are usually pretty easy to deal with.

Reactions: AMA
Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thank you. I will handle it that way. And, you are correct for sure. Earlier on they tried to say I had already received the bonus and were referring to the 10,000. They later changed their mind about that. That was something I could prove. The vague "it came in on the incorrect offer portal" is impossible for me to challenge.
@bnalex Hi, send us an update if you can!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I found the page the new credit card was Attached to. No signatures there. Also found some generic booklets of the advantages the card gives me. Thanks for trying.
I've not found that the issuer sends you any confirming information about the bonus deal you signed up for with a new card.

Is it possible you have run afoul of Chase's rules for how many cards in a certain amount of time you can apply for and hold? And how long you have to wait to qualify for the new bonus after you cancel the same type of card? They've been changing the rules on this for months and I'm not sure exactly what their procedures are right now.

Reactions: Neil Maley