Lufthansa questiom

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2019
Just asking for guidance on how to proceed.

-May 2020 tickets Chicago to Rome rebooked free of charge in March due to COVID. No option at that time for refind

- Rebooked for November 2020 as the rebooking had to be before 12/31/2020.

- With current conditions and expected indefinite ban on Americans travel to Europe being announced tomorrow by EU highly unlikely we will be able to go

-Change was stated as one time only

Options

-Wait for Lufthansa cancels flight (know this is probably what we need to do) and get a refund (think after reading all the threads we would get one)

- Call Lufthansa and ask for rebooking with just fare difference and not change fee (tickets are premium economy and with change fee $1400-$1500 to switch with fare difference $200-$300 without change fee). I usually get outsourced call center would going to airport yield better chance of no change fee).

-Did changing the one time screw us over?

-I emailed asking questions 8 days ago. Got a reference number but no answer.

Its hard waiting but I believe waiting for them to cancel is best option. Just asking here because I know I’ll get best guidance. Tried to be concise and limit useless information.

thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wait. Things could be different by the time you are scheduled to fly.

Yes- rushing to reschedule could have hurt.

There are just too many unknowns about this virus to reschedule. We aren’t taking any new bookings before 2021 and we may extend our policy if things don’t change.

Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy
Jun 19, 2019
Wait. Things could be different by the time you are scheduled to fly.

Yes- rushing to reschedule could have hurt.

There are just too many unknowns about this virus to reschedule. We aren’t taking any new bookings before 2021 and we may extend our policy if things don’t change.
Thank you

Apr 1, 2018
I believe you did have the option for a refund on the original flight change, but Lufthansa concealed it from you.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
You might not get a cash refund even if the flights are canceled. Usually refunds are in what you booked with. ie if you used credit card it's refunded to that, miles then you're refunded miles, using a credit would give you the credit back.

Jun 19, 2019
Honestly I just want to rebook. We want to go but COVID wants us to wait. I don’t want a refund, maybe shouldn’t have used term in OP.

Original flight was rebooked before it was cancelled. That was a panic move! Now I know no matter how hard to sit and wait!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I really wouldn’t rebook at all now. We all want to travel but IMO travel isn’t going to be realized until there is a vaccine.

It’s not hard to sit and wait. We have a transatlantic cruise scheduled Nov. 1. I’m hoping the cruise line will cancel- I don’t want to travel this year at all. Too much turmoil with this more countries are bound to ban Americans if we don’t get this under control. Jamaica is already looking at changing entry because foreigners are testing positive when they arrive there.

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks again to everyone! We will just sit and wait. Have a cruise out of Italy planned during this trip. Thankfully for that I have a fantastic TA who is great at working out changes. Also thankful we directly booked with Lufthansa ourselves!

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks again to everyone! We will just sit and wait. Have a cruise out of Italy planned during this trip. Thankfully for that I have a fantastic TA who is great at working out changes. Also thankful we directly booked with Lufthansa ourselves!
Yup, we wait. I have several situations like yours ... including Lufthansa/United to Roma for a cruise over Christmas. Like you, we're ready to travel when "they" allow it. What I find helpful is reading everything I can get my eyes on about everything involved ... blogs, forums, airlines, cruise lines, hotels, sights ... TripAdvisor, FlyerTalk, Cruise Critic. Doesn't get me far, but it's better for my mental health. And if something comes up which requires an instant decision, I'm ready! Might make your situation easier to bear in the coming months.