LOWES TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 12, 2020
On May 2, 2020 I purchased a Bosch dishwasher online from Lowes.

The afternoon of May 7th I received an email indicating the dishwasher was ready for pickup.

The next day, Friday May 8th, I took time away from work and drove 45 mins to Lowes of Valdosta, GA # 1794 to pick it up. When I arrived I pulled into a curbside pickup parking space and called the phone on the sign (229) 671-4721.

AT 1:19 PM I went through phone menu process with no prompt for curbside pickup or customer service so I ended up pressing 9 for “more departments” and ended up selecting 0, which I assumed was customer service. The phone rang and rang and I disconnected at about ring number 25 with no answer. I called again, and again disconnected the call after about ring number 25 with no answer. I waited a few minutes and tried a THIRD time; no answer.

Being 63 years old and not wanting to have to go inside the store because of COVID-19 exposure risks, I was about to call again when two Lowes employees delivered a curbside pickup two spaces down from me.

So I got out of my SUV and asked them if anyone inside was answering the phone at customer service and explained I had already tried three times for over 20 minutes with no answer. One of the men asked for my paperwork and said “come with me I will see what I can do”.

The store was fairly busy with customers but I also saw more employees than I have ever seen in the store at one time before, especially behind the customer service registers area. After about another 15 minutes (yes a full 15 minutes or more), a young man came up to me with a dishwasher in a box on a cart and said “here you go, I’ll help you load it up as soon as you sign for it.” He handed my paperwork to another employee at customer service/pickup. That employee then printed out a receipt which I signed showing I had received my dishwasher (At about 2:10 pm), he then gave me a customer copy and he the other employee headed out the door with the cart and then load the box into my SUV. I then drive another 45 minutes to my residence.

So including the two 45 minutes to/from driving times, the wait in the parking lot for someone to answer the phone, then waiting for help to get the dishwasher, I spent almost TWO AND A HALF HOURS.

If that wasn’t enough, the next day, Saturday May 9th, when I started to open the box I noticed right away THIS WASN’T EVEN THE DISHWASHER I PURCHASED, because it wasn’t even the right color.

So off back to Lowes I go; this time another 30 minute drive. At 2:23 PM and 2:39 PM I tried calling from the curbside pickup space again, but of course no answer on the phone.

I walked into the store to customer service and took my place in one of the COVID social distancing squares on the floor. As I stood and listened to 3 Lowes female employees semi-huddled in a small circle in the customer service area gossiping about another employee, there was only one young man actually serving customers (the poor kid was doing his best and kept looking toward the female group for help, but to no avail).

So now, thoroughly distressed over this whole situation I told the young man “I really would like to speak with a manager”. But instead, after another 20 minutes more (by the clock on my phone) a different employee came to assist, ended up going somewhere in the store and reappeared with my dishwasher which had my name and order number written on it. He then personally loaded it in my SUV; and now another 30 minute drive.

If it had been limited to just the phone answering issue, or the wait time at customer service, or even the back and forth driving, I would not be so quick to form my negative opinion. But after all that, and then to get home a find I wasn’t even given the right dishwasher.

All told, over a two day period I spent almost FIVE HOURS getting the dishwasher I purchased.

But what is really the saddest part of all of this, except for the one guy who finally found my dishwasher and helped put it in my SUV, NOT ONE LOWES EMPLOYEE SAID WE ARE SORRY FOR ALL THE DIFFICULTY WITH THIS, MUCH LESS OFFERED ANY TYPE OF COMPENSATION.

This ordeal has been by far the worst customer service I have EVER experienced.

I have been a regular customer of Home Depot and Lowes almost equally ever since they were built in Valdosta. But I must say that will probably change drastically and I will be hard pressed to ever again endorse Lowe’s.

jmv

Mar 6, 2019
You appear to have had a somewhat frustrating experience at Lowes, but what do you want from this forum? Your problem has already been resolved.

Reactions: R.L. and Skippy

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Have you contacted anyone at Lowes about this? What type of resolution do you want?

As you choose the store to pickup I would leave out the travel time from your story as that's not their fault.

I haven't dealt with curbside pickup with Lowes, but I have done in store pickup for large items. It took a fair bit longer than normal as the large items can't be stored in the normal spot for pickup and they also had to wait for workers to be free to help move it. As you say the store was busy, you may have been waiting while those people were helping others.

Reactions: R.L.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This kind of thing is just so annoying. Big box stores seem staffed with the clueless, they have trouble focusing on the issue at hand and load the wrong item in your truck. Before you even get your door closed, they are yakking to each other. They stand around in the store gossiping, or yelling back and forth to each other. Most of them are nice, they're friendly, but you wonder why on earth they're working in retail and if they've ever had any customer service training at all. As for "sorry for your inconvenience", nobody says it anymore ... because they don't even think about anything that's not right on the end of their noses. It's an amazing phenomenon ... think about the last time you dealt with a staffer at a store and they were friendly and professional, they made you feel good about coming in to buy something from them. It doesn't happen very often any more.

May 12, 2020
justlisa,

If you read my complaint you will see the reason the travel time is relevant is because I drove 45 minutes there and another 45 minutes to my residence, only to find they had given me the wrong dishwasher! So the next day I had to go all the way back there to get the one I purchased and then drive that one back to my residence. If they had given me the one I purchased on the first trip there would not have been a second trip. Regarding the placement of in-store pickup items, at this Lowes there is a section right up front near the customer service counter that is comprised of shelving where in store pick up orders are staged pending pick up, including large items such as washers, dryers, and dishwashers. As far as waiting for an employee to help, as I pointed out in my complaint that while I did acknowledge the store was fairly busy with customers, I also saw more employees than I have ever seen in the store at one time before. On both days I observed numerous employees in separate groups of two and three just milling around or standing having conversation. You’re 34, I’m 63 and yes I'm going to say it...when I was your age most retail stores didn’t allow employees to stand around having idle conversation unless it was with customers, not themselves. And if they were on break then they went to the breakroom so as to not give the impression they were just wasting time or that they were ignoring customers. Customers came first and when they were inconvenienced they were afforded a formal apology and offered compensation such as a percentage off the bill or free merchandise. That kind of treatment is what jsn55 is referring to...friendly, professional service that made you feel good about coming in to buy something from them. What kind of resolution do I want? I want Lowes upper management to acknowledge my complaint and tell me they appreciate my patronage. The reason I chose this forum to air my grievance was that I was told it would be seen by Lowes investors and/or their public relations staff.

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 16, 2018
Lowes won't necessarily see this, or respond to your complaint posted on this forum. As a self-advocacy group we advise on the best way for you to handle the situation. If you haven't already, start with the manager of this store. Send an email detailing your issues that you had with the pickup of your dishwasher. Stay with the facts of the failure to deliver the correct dishwasher. As was stated before, your travel time really isn't relevant. We all chose where we live, and 5 or 45 minutes away doesn't matter, just the failure to properly deliver your item. As far as the other employees standing around, they may have been assigned to do something else, so mention it once, with the perception that it gave. If the manager of the store doesn't give you a satisfactory response, you can appeal to Lowes corporate. Leave out the reference to going to another store from here on, if you aren't a possible customer in the future they have no incentive to assist you.

Reactions: jsn55 and justlisa

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
1) The exact travel time is based on the store you picked and where you live. Yes, point out that you had to go to the store twice - but when around half of the time you quote as waiting was actually travel time and more than half of that travel time was on the original venture you weaken your case and give opportunity for someone to not take the rest seriously.

2) When you were 34 the internet essentially didn't exist and you'd have to go into the store to do everything so it's not a relevant comparison to today in my eyes

3) While I agree it was Lowes fault to hand you the wrong item - you signed off that you were given the correct item. You did not ensure you were given the correct product even though you signed off that you were.

4) Having space up there for large items is different than the ones I've been to, but you also have to realize that given current circumstances stores are seeing a huge upswing in store pickup orders. In fact, that's exactly why you ordered a pickup. So with that huge upswing it makes sense that the area up front is not large enough to cover all orders.

5) There's no guarantee Lowe's reads this forum. If all you want is a "we read your comments thank you for sending them" you can use the company contacts this website has, explain what happened, and tell them you're just looking for someone to say thank you for telling us we appreciate you being a customer and you'll likely get that response.

Reactions: R.L.
Jun 24, 2019
While I sympathize with your problem (last week I ventured out to a store which sent me an e-mail that my order was ready--it wasn't), every dishwasher I have ever bought I've had delivered to my home and installed by the folks from whom I bought it. That means if anything goes wrong, there is only one direction in which to point fingers. Have I had the wrong item delivered to my home? Yep. I just called the store and said, "You delivered the wrong item." Have things gone wrong with the installation? Yep. The last one, a Kitchen-Aid, required multiple repairs until it worked right. That's frustrating, too, but I did not install it, so the store had 100% of the deal and responsibility.

Does this approach cost more. Maybe, but only in the sense that buying trip insurance makes a vacation more expensive. Until that's the only way you will get your money back.

Now you are clearly out of town by a bit. And maybe Lowe's doesn't deliver that far. But I did a sample order at that Valdosta store for three different Bosch dishwashers and they were all available for truck delivery the same day as pickup. Now maybe by picking up you didn't have to waste the whole day sitting around, and you could minimize the time off work. Maybe the item was in stock at the store and required two weeks for delivery, and the dishes were piling up.

As some of my colleagues advise above, you should share your frustration with the staff with Lowe's Hq. When I bought my first house and would go to Builder's Emporium, the folks working the aisles knew more than I did about house stuff. And I had built a few buildings with my Dad. Now, the folks working the aisles were born when George Bush was President, and I don't mean HW. They have no idea. But the bean counters at Lowe's and Home Depot have figured there's more profit to be made by shaving payroll costs down to minimum wage, and the customers will still show up.

May 30, 2019
The OP doesn't want to go into a store, but rely on several people who are totally stressed out having to work during a pandemic. In times like these, we can't tell if someone is smiling under their masks or concerned that interacting with many people may cause them to get the virus. The OP appears to have not checked the package description against the bill of lading and his/her purchase request for specific color. The OP is upset because during an unusual time, the OP spent most of the day picking up an appliance. The OP appears to have knowledge of how big box stores should operate and is not satisfied with how they are managed during a time when processes & procedures are changing rapidly. For this, the OP wants compensation.

My recommendation to the OP would be self-advocate to writing a polite letter to Lowe's management and ask for a gift card credit or a donation to a local food bank.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our corporate contacts for Lowe’s:

I would suggest you write to them, stating facts only in a bulleted form, leaving emotion out. And tell them what you want from them.

This is how to effectively write:

Apr 8, 2019
Having dealt with Lowe's as both a consumer and an independent complaint resolution inspector, the best you will probably receive is a $50 in store accommodation card which the MOD is capable of doing. I would call the store and ask for the MOD and briefly explain the problem (as Skippy detailed above) before even writing the corporate contacts. The store managers get dinged for every letter written to corporate and would rather correct it themselves.