Lost wet suit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 28, 2019
I did a SCUBA shore excursion in February. I accidentally left a wet suit behind and realized it shortly after returning to the ship. I went to the excursion desk and informed them. The next morning they called. They had contacted the dive shop and found the wet suit. Another Carnival ship was in port and they'd give it to them to have returned to me.

I also filled out a lost item report with Carnival once I returned home (Report# 11665579). Several communications with Carnival ended the other day with them advising me that the wet-suit had not been returned to lost-and-found and regardless of any communication I'd received from the ship or the dive shop (which I called to confirm) they were not responsible for the loss. I sent an email to [email protected] as well as Arlene Marichal, identified as Director of Guest Services and have not heard back from anyone.

The representative I last spoke with stated that even though it had been confirmed that the wet suit had been returned to the other ship, if it was not in their possession (in the lost-and-found in Miami) they were not responsible for its loss.

If carnival is not able to find my wetsuit I believe they should compensate me for a replacement (about $95).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You left the wetsuit behind - the cruise line isn't responsible for things you leave behind on a tour. The last you heard was the dive shop had it, it was not in Carnivals possession. If the dive shop never brought it to the ship, it's not Carnivals issue.

The Contract of Carriage you agree to when booking with Carnival state that Carnival is not responsible for any items lost on shore excurions:

Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship’s physician, and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Even though Carnival shall be entitled to collect a fee and earn a profit from the ticketing or sale of such services by such persons or entities, Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either expressed or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its water shuttles, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest’s baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest’s sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Jul 13, 2016
Agree with Neil, that Carnival is absolutely not responsible for you leaving your wet suit behind. It was nice that some attempt was made to return the item you lost, but the only way that Carnival could be even remotely responsible for a replacement suit is if you can prove it came into Carnival's possession.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Agree with Neil, that Carnival is absolutely not responsible for you leaving your wet suit behind. It was nice that some attempt was made to return the item you lost, but the only way that Carnival could be even remotely responsible for a replacement suit is if you can prove it came into Carnival's possession.
The Contract Of Carriage states Carnival is not responsible for lost property on excursions.

Sep 19, 2015
Asking for reimbursement for something you left behind at a dive shop? They should pay for your mistake? Carnival may stop trying to help passengers with forgotten items with this sort of demand.

Jun 28, 2019
If if left it behind and that was the end of the story, I'd agree. But the wetsuit was found, confirmed by the shore excursion team, confirmed subsequently by the dive shop that it was returned to another carnival ship to be returned to me, and subsequently reconfirmed that it was handed off to the shore excursion team on the other ship.
But because it never made it to Carnival's lost and found department, they are not assuming responsibility.
If they tell me it has been found and returned to another ship, at that point they should be responsible for getting it back to me. You evidently did not read the whole thread, but stopped after reading, "I left a wetsuit at the dive shop," and assumed I was some kind of idiot for expecting Carnival to reimburse me.

Reactions: KARHON

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I did a SCUBA shore excursion in February. I accidentally left a wet suit behind and realized it shortly after returning to the ship. I went to the excursion desk and informed them. The next morning they called. They had contacted the dive shop and found the wet suit. Another Carnival ship was in port and they'd give it to them to have returned to me.

I also filled out a lost item report with Carnival once I returned home (Report# 11665579). Several communications with Carnival ended the other day with them advising me that the wet-suit had not been returned to lost-and-found and regardless of any communication I'd received from the ship or the dive shop (which I called to confirm) they were not responsible for the loss. I sent an email to [email protected] as well as Arlene Marichal, identified as Director of Guest Services and have not heard back from anyone.

The representative I last spoke with stated that even though it had been confirmed that the wet suit had been returned to the other ship, if it was not in their possession (in the lost-and-found in Miami) they were not responsible for its loss.

If carnival is not able to find my wetsuit I believe they should compensate me for a replacement (about $95).
You can certainly pursue this using our Company Contacts. My colleagues have already said it all. I am interested in hearing why you believe Carnival should replace it. You left your wetsuit behind. Someone walked off with it. I'm sure nobody kept track of it once it left the dive shop. If you are polite and persistent, Carnival may give you something just as a courtesy, but they are not responsible for your loss.

Reactions: jsmithw

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I certainly did read the entire list and I scoured Carnivals passenger contract to find out the liability for items left on shore excursions .

It won’t hurt to write to Carnival. The worst they can say is no. Regardless of where it ended up, their passenger contract states they have no liability for items left behind. It wasn’t returned to your ship and whatever ship it might have been returned to didn’t have you sailing on it. But you might find a sympathetic executive who wants to help.

Here is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeslieK and Student
Sep 19, 2015
They were trying to do you a favor and somewhere it got lost. I would expect them to not want to do any favors. They are still not responsible for your lost items — not on shore excursion and not on board.

In fact Carnival’s liability for baggage in their possession is limited to $50 per bag—

“d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest’s property, does not exceed $50 USD per Guest”

And this was not a bag to be brought to your room this was something forgotten that they were trying to help.

$95 is over the $50 limit.

I left something in a car rental once and it was mailed back to me. I would not have asked for reimbursement if it been lost in the mail.

Mar 12, 2019
It sounds exasperating but don’t hold anyone responsible. They are doing you a favor. If you don’t get it back, accept your loss. No one is culpable.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Apr 8, 2019
Just remember to be polite, as Carnival has the right to place you on a "Do not accept reservations for future cruises" list.
In addition to Neil's posting above Carnival Contract of Carriage also states:
"In consideration for the fare paid, it is agreed that Carnival shall not be held vicariously liable for the intentional or negligent acts of any persons not employed by Carnival nor for any intentional or negligent acts of Carnival’s employees committed while off duty or outside the course and scope of their employment."

Reactions: Neil Maley

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Who wants to bet the wet suit went into t the dive shop's rental or resell inventory? The only "confirmation" that Carnival passed on to the OP was verbal communication from people remaining on shore. And oral communication is not, as they say, worth the paper it's written on.

Jun 28, 2019
Well good news. Carnival has agreed to reimburse me for the wetsuit.
It is nice to realize that there is still customer good will out there. Regardless of what any contact States, there are always exceptions to the rule.
To the person who wrote, "They were trying to do you a favor and somewhere it got lost. I would expect them to not want to do any favors," what an awful world this would be of no one ever did anyone a favor. I guess that's why it is called a favor, because you don't HAVE to do it. That's what's makes for good customer service, being willing to go the extra mile.
Like I stated early on, if I'd left the wetsuit on shore and hadn't noticed it missing, oroff I'd left it in the room when I left the ship, I'd expect no hope of getting it back but in this case, it was communicated that it was found and being returned to another ship with my contact information and would be returned to me.
Thank you Carnival!