Lost baggage on Level Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 11, 2020
Philadelphia
My daughter was one of the many study-abroad college students required to come home early on 3/3/2020. We booked the trip using Expedia as we are regular Expedia customers. Amanda checked her one bag in Rome and changed flights in Paris before heading to Newark Airport. The itinerary was complicated in that the first leg was Iberia Airlines using subsidiary Vueling Airlines. The second leg, from Paris to Newark was Iberia using Level Airways (Open Skies).

Once landed, her bag never showed up. There was no representative from Level in the baggage area and my daughter had a person from United Airlines page Level Air but no one ever showed. She waited one hour. We have called Iberia, Vueling, and Level, and no one is able or willing to help. I’ve even enlisted friends on social media and no one was able to get through the fortress that is the phone systems of these airlines. I can’t imagine that an airline can lose baggage, take no responsibility, and simply walk away. I’ve run out of options here. Now I have a daughter who is sad about being pulled home from a semester in Rome and she has no wardrobe.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could intervene on my daughter’s behalf or give me some advice or contacts to try.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Just to clarify can you provide Airline & Flt # for each segment, and was this all on one Locator Code? My concern is these airlines may not have had Interline Agreements with each other and she may have been required to pick up her bag and recheck it at one of her connections.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just to clarify can you provide Airline & Flt # for each segment, and was this all on one Locator Code? My concern is these airlines may not have had Interline Agreements with each other and she may have been required to pick up her bag and recheck it at one of her connections.
That’s exactly what I thought. The bag could be sitting in Paris.
If she had separate tickets on different PNRs, she needed to pick up her bag in Paris and recheck it to the new flight. Did she do that?

Unfortunately all airlines are absolutely overwhelmed by the changes with Covid. Top priority is getting people rebooked.

Reactions: JVillegirl541

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
All European airlines are dealing with flight cancellations due to the coronavirus. Phone calls are not the way to proceed. They may be short-staffed and the phones are overwhelmed. Her bag will probably reappear although it may take weeks or months.

Use the Iberia and Vueling contacts by email and you can also try social media as listed:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I may have missed it, but did your daughter file a formal lost bag report when she arrived at the carousel? Baggage claim is never handled by phone. It could take weeks or months for lost bags to get sorted out on an international itinerary. Airlines will not be dealing with this kind of problem until the corona virus mess is over. I'm so sorry she lost her wardrobe, but glad she's home safe and sound.

Mar 11, 2020
Philadelphia
I may have missed it, but did your daughter file a formal lost bag report when she arrived at the carousel? Baggage claim is never handled by phone. It could take weeks or months for lost bags to get sorted out on an international itinerary. Airlines will not be dealing with this kind of problem until the corona virus mess is over. I'm so sorry she lost her wardrobe, but glad she's home safe and sound.
There was no lost bag report as there was no one to file the report with. No Level desk or rep was available even though they were paged repeatedly.

Mar 11, 2020
Philadelphia
That’s exactly what I thought. The bag could be sitting in Paris.
If she had separate tickets on different PNRs, she needed to pick up her bag in Paris and recheck it to the new flight. Did she do that?

Unfortunately all airlines are absolutely overwhelmed by the changes with Covid. Top priority is getting people rebooked.
She did not pick up her bag and recheck in Paris. She has two Vueling boarding passes - Rome to Paris Eticket#07574xxxxxxx and Paris to Newark #07574xxxxxxx. I'm not a frequent traveler and not sure what PNRs or locator codes are.

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove ticket numbers

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
She did not pick up her bag and recheck in Paris. She has two Vueling boarding passes - Rome to Paris Eticket#07574xxxxxxx and Paris to Newark #07574xxxxxxx. I'm not a frequent traveler and not sure what PNRs or locator codes are.

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove ticket numbers
Did her baggage claim show the bag was checked all the way to Newark from her first check-in in Rome? If so, then the bag is either in Paris or Newark, unless it simply was never put on her first flight. You may wish to try to reach the Paris baggage claim area to see if they have it.

Sep 19, 2015
Veuling and Level have the same parent company, IAG -- Level sells Rome to EWR via Orly on their website.

What is problematic is that there was no report made at the airport. I realize that it may have been a challenge to find the right person,

Level airlines does not have their own infrastructure and claims for baggage go through the Veuling system:
4) MISSING OR DELAYED BAGGAGE:

For issues with missing or delayed baggage, please click HERE to take you to our partner Vueling.com. When you have chosen the luggage option, please click ‘contact’ button at the bottom of the page to enter the details.

It is not surprising that they do not have their own system -- it is a low cost carrier, with many roundtrips around $350 for basic economy for Europe to the US.

OP do you live close to EWR so as to go back to the airport and try and find some representatives of Level?

\

Oct 1, 2018
I agree with the others, making a formal, written report is going to be critical going forward.... true, if there was no agent of the carrier at the airport, at the time of arrival, then that’s obviously problematic... but regardless, the OP has to make that report.

As a suggestion, if the OP can find a physical US mailing address within the US for the carrier, to include their mailing address at the airport itself (many carriers do receive physical US mail service at the airports at which they operate) I’d mail, registered/return receipt, a written claim indicating all the essential data. IF the carriers doesn’t have or can’t find an airport mailing address, then check with the state-level entity that deals with corporate registrations. All companies must have some form of “agent” who can accept legal notices/summons etc,. Some use a direct employee or direct corporate controlled office to do so, while others may chose to appoint a 3rd party independent entities to act on their behalf in these matters.

That way, at least you have a “leg to stand on” should the carrier claim you failed to meet the timely reporting mandate.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree with the others, making a formal, written report is going to be critical going forward.... true, if there was no agent of the carrier at the airport, at the time of arrival, then that’s obviously problematic... but regardless, the OP has to make that report.

As a suggestion, if the OP can find a physical US mailing address within the US for the carrier, to include their mailing address at the airport itself (many carriers do receive physical US mail service at the airports at which they operate) I’d mail, registered/return receipt, a written claim indicating all the essential data. IF the carriers doesn’t have or can’t find an airport mailing address, then check with the state-level entity that deals with corporate registrations. All companies must have some form of “agent” who can accept legal notices/summons etc,. Some use a direct employee or direct corporate controlled office to do so, while others may chose to appoint a 3rd party independent entities to act on their behalf in these matters.

That way, at least you have a “leg to stand on” should the carrier claim you failed to meet the timely reporting mandate.
Level is really complicated — it may be using the operating certificate of Open Skies — ie a DBA doing business as....

Registered agents accept legal service as well as notices from the state— ie state tax notifications— they are not geared to accept a complaint for delayed luggage or a request for it to be logged into the missing luggage system.

Level likely has no employees in the US — and use a ground handling service — such as Menzies for check in and for the baggage. This is an airline with a minimal presence.

I really doubt that anyone would accept a letter for Level at Newark airport— or that it would be even read — what can I say I use Newark airport.

Aside from going to airport when flight is taking off or landing the other options are to contact them via email.

Ultra low cost airlines have minimal staff and minimal customer service — they offer flights across the Atlantic for as little as $179 each way —

The OP needs to do something before the luggage is considered abandoned.