Lost Avios Miles

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 26, 2018
In July of 2014 we flew first class from San Francisco to London on British Airways. Due to being assigned to their oldest 747 in the fleet, we were told at the check in counter that they would like to give us a gift to make up for the less that normal first class service (this was prior to the flight, so they must have known the plane was in pretty bad shape). They offered my wife a voucher worth 400 British pounds which could be used to for a later flight, or 50,000 Avios miles each. We initially took the voucher, but we soon determined that we would be able to use the vouchers before they expired (one year), and requested the 50,000 Avios miles instead. They kindly made the switch, and an account was opened for my wife and me.

We tried several times to book trips with the Avios miles, but British Airways never had a flight available for the locations that we wished to travel. Last year I learned we could open a "household" account and combine my wife's miles with mine. That was successful, but I knew we were on the edge of the three year expiration date for the miles. To keep from losing our miles, we applied for a British Airways credit card through Chase Bank. The incentive to do this was the 75,000 bonus miles they offered if we completed certain requirements. We did complete the requirements, and began using the card. I checked periodically to make sure we received everything that was promised.......and we did.

The problem we are having is my wife's miles no longer show up in our household account. I recently called their customer service phone line, and talked to a young lady who checked on the problem and determined that my wife's miles had expired. When I pointed out the fact that my points were still valid because of the addition of the credit card miles, she checked with the supervisor, and I was told it was a technical issue, but the young lady was unable to give me an explanation of what that meant. She also would not let me talk to the supervisor. Nor could she explain why my wife's miles had expired and mine had not, even though they were issued on the same day and subject to the same benefits and restrictions.

We would simply like assistance is having my wife's miles reinstated since we plan to fly to Paris next year, and will need to use them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is your wife on the credit card? I am not sure that having a household account overrides an expiration date if your wife didn’t have activity as well.

According to the website , you still earn individually but can Pool the points for tickets. Please note it says “individually”

Travel with other people made easy

“Whilst you earn Tier Points and Executive Club status individually, we recognise that our Members often travel with family and friends. We aim to make travelling with others as straight-forward and rewarding as possible”

We have company contacts on top of our page. Please read the first page that instructs you how to write and write to BA. Let us know how you make out.

Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
This post doesn't address the problem of your wife's lost points but it does touch on a workaround for British Air's notorious flight unavailability.

For people who are having trouble booking flights with their British Air Avios, I heard of a way to get a better selection and sometimes use fewer Avios. You have to open an Avios account with BA's codeshare, Iberia. Then you activate the Iberia account by transferring a small number of Amex points, Chase Ultimate Rewards points or Starwood Preferred points into the Iberia account. You can even buy Iberia Avios with Groupon. The names on the accounts must match exactly and the email address must be the same for both accounts. There used to be a waiting period before the transfer from BA to Iberia could be made. I don't know if this is still the case.

You can also link your BA account and Iberia account to something called Avios.com , transfer your BA points there and then transfer them out to Iberia.

Google "transfer Avios to Iberia" and you'll find the specific instructions.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 19, 2015
Further on avios

Avios Group (AGL) Limited has today announced that it will close the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme and transfer members into the British Airways Executive Club.

The move brings added benefits to current UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme members who will be able to collect and spend Avios with even more partners than at present. This includes flights with British Airways, Iberia and an additional 11 oneworld® and partner airlines including American Airlines, Qantas and Japan Airlines, collectively offering flights to more than 1,000 destinations across the globe from Hong Kong, to South Africa and Los Angeles.

As well as saving on flights with world-leading airlines, transferring members will soon be able to spend Avios with 60,000 additional partner hotels too and on 50,000 extra sight-seeing experiences and validated excursions around the world. Through the British Airways Executive Club, members can also collect Avios on everyday spending with more household-name partners across retail, travel and credit cards and continue to collect with hundreds of popular retailers on the British Airways Avios eStore.

Chris Treadwell, Commercial Director, Avios said: “This move is good news for members. Outwardly there will be very little change for them other than their Avios will have a new home. However, they will also enjoy all the advantages that being a British Airways Executive Club Member offers including a smoother online experience, even more ways to collect and spend Avios, plus the tier benefits.”

Meanwhile, members of both the Avios Travel Reward programme and the British Airways Executive Club will benefit from having all their Avios in one account, which they can easily manage online. Sole members of the British Airways Executive Club are unaffected.

James Hillier from the British Airways Executive Club said: “We’re looking forward to welcoming these new members in to the award-winning British Airways Executive Club with the benefits that it brings. We offer the ability to collect and spend Avios on a wide range of holidays, trips and experiences. But it isn’t just limited to travel, as members can also collect Avios through everyday purchases like the weekly food shop or by topping up their car with fuel.”

The change to the UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme does not affect the Avios currency and supports the company’s core business of providing the Avios reward currency for airline loyalty programmes including: the British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, AerClub, Vueling Club Meridiana Club, Flybe and Kulula.

Avios is encouraging UK Avios Travel Rewards Programme members to visit www.avios.com/travelrewards or call 0344 49 333 99 for more details about the changes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Tough love here. The important thing to remember about any loyalty program is this: if you are not a true frequent customer, they want you to go away. By frequent, I mean 50 stays a year at with a hotel chain or 14 trips a year on an airline. Hotels and airlines just aren't interested in the rest of their members, only the frequent customer. Somehow your wife's account did not get householded when it came to a mileage expiration date. And BA doesn't want to talk about it, they just want you go to away. My advice would be to create a concise, chronological list of the facts and submit to BA using our company contacts and instructions. Be polite, patient and persistent. Good luck, and please let us know how things turn out.