Loss Damage Waiver included, but there's charge from Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit (DRU)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

DSR

Nov 23, 2019
Hello,
First, thank you for this forum. I found it when I searched for some information related with my case.
I was vacationing in US on August and rented from National at Phoenix airport. I had Loss Damage Waiver Full included in my rental agreement included.
I was involved in accident with other international tourist (sideswiped) at Grand Canyon area, that party also had Loss Damage Waiver (we took photo of each other rental agreement).
I returned the car along with copy of police report to National counter at Las Vegas airport. I took few photos of the damages in the car.
I asked the National staff at the airport if I should do anything more since I'm leaving US in the next few days, they assured me nothing and provide me with a paper containing DRU numbers if I wish to follow up. In the paper it said, I should hear from DRU in the next 7 days. Since I dont receive any correspondence, so I assumed all is OK.
Fast forward to 31 Oct 2019, I received an email with attachment letter saying they havent received any response regarding their claim, I can provide them information if I already raised a claim with my insurance or I want to pay by myself, I can remit the payment via a website link they provided. However since there's no amount stated there (the balance due is empty, also no amount in the invoice page), I assumed (which might've been a mistake) this was a template email and it just slipped on my mind, so I didn't follow it up.
On 18 Nov 2019, I received another email with attachment letter mentioning since they can't resolve the claim, I should pay (this time there's an amount) $3794.75 within 10 days or they will turn this to collection or independent attorney. I replied on 19 Nov 2019 with cc to the DRU and customer service ([email protected]) asking for clarification what's that amount for since I have Loss Damage Waiver (I attached my rental agreement), however up till now I havent had any replied yet (except for automatic reply from DRU).
After reading some threads in the forum, including this how to: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/ ; I knew I should ask for supporting documents from their side.

So my question for now is, should I request for the supporting documents to the email address that sent me those letter (I assumed that's the claim agent) or should I send it to the National Customer Service or to [email protected]? And should I mention since I'm not living in US that all communication should be done via email?
As suggested, I plan to wait 1 week (5 business days) from my last email to send another email.
Or should I settle the claim first since the 10 days limit is approaching and I know in the US that Thanksgiving break is coming up soon, I'm worried I will run into legal issue in the US because of this (I'm visiting US almost every year).

Thank you very much for any advice that could given for me.

p.s: I took travel insurance for my US trip and after reading its policy, it could cover me some amount on excess car rental damage as long as I had Loss Damage Waiver in my rental agreement, and obviously they would need supporting documents that I should have asked in the first place.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have their insurance you shouldn’t need to do any of this. Tell them you have their insurance and they need to file the claim.

Go to our Company Contact for Enterprise, tell then you bought their insurance and that they continue to harass you for payment. You may be responsible for a deductible but Enterprise needs to handle this. Give Customer Service a week to reply, if they don’t if don’t help, write to the first executive. Repeat weekly if necessary. They need to clearly specify what might not have been covered by the LDW and why you might owe any money.

Reactions: DSR and Skippy

DSR

Nov 23, 2019
If you have their insurance you shouldn’t need to do any of this. Tell them you have their insurance and they need to file the claim.

Go to our Company Contact for Enterprise, tell then you bought their insurance and that they continue to harass you for payment. You may be responsible for a deductible but Enterprise needs to handle this. Give Custer Service a week to reply, if they don’t if don’t help, write to the first executive. Repeat weekly if necessary.
Hi Neil,
Thank you so much for your prompt response, very appreciate it.
I will send the email to the Customer Service and see their response.