Lodging unexpectedly sold, Priceline says they can’t refund airfare.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2019
My boyfriend and I purchased plane tickets for his parents back in January, through Priceline. We had purchased these tickets for a surprise trip to Alaska for them for their anniversary. We had lodging, and a few activities set up for them as well. Unfortunately a few weeks ago, the place we had reserved for them to stay suddenly sold without notice. I tried to find alternate lodging, but it proved to be impossible with tourist season in full swing. This left us with limited lodging options, and huge price increases on the ones that were available. So we were unfortunately forced to cancel the trip. We were able to get full refunds from everything but Priceline. I first contacted delta, and they were sympathetic but told me since I purchased the tickets through Priceline, I’d have to go through them. So I then messaged Priceline who told me deltas airline fare rules prevented them from refunding our money. These are non refundable non transferable tickets, however given the fact that we were forced to cancel the trip, at no fault of our own, I was hoping they would be able to make some sort of exception. Is there anything I can possibly present to Priceline to get them to respond with something other than their standard brush off, and help my situation?

Jul 30, 2019
If the tickets were nonrefundable there is not much you can do. Did you have travel insurance or use a credit card that might have travel insurance? A Cancel for Any Reason policy would have covered this.

We have a thread with suggestions you can try.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/
If the tickets were nonrefundable there is not much you can do. Did you have travel insurance or use a credit card that might have travel insurance? A Cancel for Any Reason policy would have covered this.

We have a thread with suggestions you can try.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/
Thank you, Neil. I did read the thread you recommend prior to contacting. I do have written messages between both Priceline, and delta. They’re pointing fingers at each other essentially.. but claim there is nothing that can be done. I was given a number to call. So I am going to do that here soon. I’m hoping to get in touch with someone who is understanding. I will check with the credit card I used to see if they have travel insurance. Thank you so much!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Basis economy are absolutely nonrefundable. Regular economy that might have offered a credit less the cancelation fee but Basic Economy are absolutely non refundable.

Sorry for the bad news but this is what Delta states about Basic Economy:
Ticket changes or refunds not allowed after the Risk-Free Cancellation period. Basic Economy travelers are not eligible for paid or complimentary access or upgrades to premium seats, including to Delta Comfort+® or Preferred Seats; and no paid access to Priority Boarding.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm more interested in the details about the lodging snafu. What exactly happened there? Did they offer ANY reasonable alternatives other than sorry, you're on your own to find accommodations?
Chris, I actually thought of that. I’m surprised the owners who sold did not honor reservations they already had made.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Jul 30, 2019
I'm more interested in the details about the lodging snafu. What exactly happened there? Did they offer ANY reasonable alternatives other than sorry, you're on your own to find accommodations?
On your own, and here’s a refund. Given the circumstance we received full refunds for everything from all of the pre paid activities, which included, whale watching adventure, fishing, and wildlife tours. Priceline is the only one who didn’t take it into consideration. Just the standard brush off. I get it. I just thought being it wasn’t a cancellation we had control over, maybe they could be understanding.

Jul 30, 2019
If the air AND lodging were not both booked through Priceline, there is little to offer except an appeal to Delta and Priceline for an exception to their policies. Although the cancellation was due to "at no fault of our own", neither Delta nor Priceline had involvement in the cancellation.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/
Right only flights were through Priceline. I was just asking for a little human decency. That’s all. Had I cancelled for other reasons, I could understand. But I was forced to cancel.

Dec 19, 2014
On your own, and here’s a refund. Given the circumstance we received full refunds for everything from all of the pre paid activities, which included, whale watching adventure, fishing, and wildlife tours. Priceline is the only one who didn’t take it into consideration. Just the standard brush off. I get it. I just thought being it wasn’t a cancellation we had control over, maybe they could be understanding.
Can you quantify the timeline?
When did you book?
When did you make payments (or deposits)?
When did they notify you of the cancellation?
Was there any way of salvaging the trip?
How much time between the cancellation and the date of the trip?

I'm trying to understand exactly why you chose to cancel the entire trip and whether there may be any consumer protection laws that may hold the hotel/resort partially liable.

Not to sound heartless, but it's not Priceline's fault either. For them to be reimbursed, they would have to collect from Delta, and why should they? Remember, you are asking for an exception and it should not be an expectation.

Mar 12, 2019
Right only flights were through Priceline. I was just asking for a little human decency. That’s all. Had I cancelled for other reasons, I could understand. But I was forced to cancel.
Basic Economy is fine when the flight is the the only element of the trip – no hotel, car rental, etc. and you don’t mind it being so restrictive. Most important to consider when looking to save money is its use-it-or-lose-it feature. It is like how it sounds and there’s no going around it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since you booked through Priceline, you have to deal with Priceline and they are going to be stuck with what Delta tells them- which is most likely that there are no refunds for basic economy. If it was a economy ticket, they most likely would have offered a credit less the cancellation fee.

But we never say never. Sometimes a well written letter makes it to the desk of an executive that might make an exception.

Please read the post I gave you in post
#2. It tell you how to write and what to do.

Let us know how you make out.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Priceline can not give you a refund because they Already PAID THE AIRLINE for the tickets and because they are Basic Economy they are Not Changeable and Not Refundable. This isn’t even Priceline’s issue, it’s the airline.

Jul 30, 2019
Your terminology is not going to be persuasive to Priceline. You were not "forced to cancel"; you decided on your own to cancel.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. The price increases and lack of vacancies during full blown tourist season forced us to cancel. I purchased these in advance back in January to avoid that exactly. Thanks for the help.

Jul 30, 2019
Priceline can not give you a refund because they Already PAID THE AIRLINE for the tickets and because they are Basic Economy they are Not Changeable and Not Refundable. This isn’t even Priceline’s issue, it’s the airline.
Thank you! I spoke to the airline, and they said it was all in Priceline’s hands. Messaged Priceline and they said I needed to speak with delta. I’ve got a new number to call. Never hurts to try.