LG television

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 28, 2019
Long story short, we bought a 55 inch LG HDTV in 2010, it was defective, had black lines across the entire picture, LG replaced it free of charge in 2014 and the lines appeared again in 2015, LG replaced it again in 2015 free of charge, this only lasted till 2017, lines are once again across the entire picture, we have been in contact with LG since then but they refuse to do anything more............their televisions only last 2-3 years??? We paid $1500.00 for this television from Boscov's and would like to have our money refunded or a reasonable settlement made as we have to buy another television. And it won't be an LG.
LG's claim is that the television is 9 years old when in fact it is only 3 years old as it has been replaced twice in that time period......
We have sent letters to the Chief Executive Officer in Englewood Cliffs, the Manager of Executive Service in Huntsville, AL and the VP of Customer Service in Englewood Cliffs on April,15, 2019. No one has had the decency to even acknowledge our letter..............but we did get a call in April from someone in Englewood Cliffs offering us up to $300 towards the purchase of a new LG television as if we wanted another LG television..............this call only came after they were contacted by the Consumer Group working with Channel 6, we called them for help first and they got in touch with LG, that is the ONLY REASON THEY CALLED US.
We can provide a copy of the letter we sent to the executives in April if you would like to see it.
Thank you for your consideration.
Raymond & Carol

Dec 19, 2014
You're not going to get any sympathy from me. You got 9 years "use" out of a $1500 TV and they are offering you $300 credit towards the purchase of a new TV? I'd say that's a pretty generous offer.

9 years is equivalent to decades for a technology item. Since you have already sent letters to the executives, you may want to consider their offer their final offer.

Reactions: jsn55, ADM and AMA

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
TVs usually only come with a manufacturer warranty around 1 year, maybe 2. Even extended warranties you pay for don't cover a TV for 9 years! And yes, for warranty sake they always count from the original purchase. The fact that they replaced the TV when it was 4 years old free of charge is awesome. I had a warranty issue with another TV manufacturer within the warrant time frame and they wouldn't do anything unless I paid to ship it to them!

As Chris said, 9 years is a long time for a TV. The TV that I bought in 2010 started having problems over the last year. I just went and bought a new one because my old TV was just OLD not defective. BTW there's plenty of good quality TVs you can get for a fraction of $1500 - with the $300 they're offering you can probably get a really good TV for only a couple hundred out of pocket.

May 28, 2019
Well you are all missing the boat.............the TV is NOT 9 years old, it was completely replaced in late 2015 for the second time making it only 3.5 years old...........that is why we want more than $300.........that is just a crappy offer! And LG obviously knew there was an issue with these black lines or they certainly would not have replaced it TWICE FREE OF CHARGE!

Dec 19, 2014
Well you are all missing the boat.............the TV is NOT 9 years old, it was completely replaced in late 2015 for the second time making it only 3.5 years old...........that is why we want more than $300.........that is just a crappy offer! And LG obviously knew there was an issue with these black lines or they certainly would not have replaced it TWICE FREE OF CHARGE!
Actually, we're not missing the boat.

Despite your TV being 3 1/2 years old, you have had 9 years USE out of a TV that was purchased in 2010. LG does not have to continue to replace your TV perpetually. Since they have replaced it twice, they have done more than they are required to do.

This forum and this site has resources to guide you through the process of how to advocate for yourself. You have already contacted the media, and written the CEO. LG has given you their final answer. Sadly, you are out of options. Unless you want to sue them in small claims court (which you will lose), you need to reassess your expectations. Take the $300 and purchase a new LG TV, or if you truly believe they have "crappy" products, purchase another brand. Good luck to you.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Regardless of the age of your current TV, you have received 9 years of service for your original investment. If your original TV had lasted 9 years (as mine from the other S Korean co. that starts with an S has lasted) you would not dream of asking for a new TV now. You have been given value for your original purchase money and have an offer of $300 off a new TV. If you choose to buy another manufacturers product you are certainly free to do so but you should not expect a new TV 9 years after your original purchase. LG is not going to give you a new 2019 TV or a large discount (you don't want one anyway).

Reactions: AMA and Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Have you talked with the retailer? This is an interesting case ... how old is your TV? Well, of course it's not that old ... but you have had a TV to watch for years. I don't think you're going to get anywhere with LG, but the retailer may be able to help you.

Feb 21, 2018
Have you talked with the retailer? This is an interesting case ... how old is your TV? Well, of course it's not that old ... but you have had a TV to watch for years. I don't think you're going to get anywhere with LG, but the retailer may be able to help you.
Boscov's got out of the electronics and appliance business back in 2012/2013; they wouldn't be able to help even if they wanted to.

Jan 17, 2019
For what it's worth the company I worked for would buy Viewsonic PC LCD displays for our computers. They came with a one year warranty. On several occasions a display would go bad within 2 or 3 months. I was responsible for working with ViewSonic's warranty department for replacement.

I would report the bad display, they sent me a replacement, and life would go on. The first time this happened the replacement display went bad in about three weeks. When I called Viewsonic to get that one replaced they told me it was no longer under warranty. I pointed out that the warranty was good for one year. I was told that the warranty applied only to a new display. When the first one was replaced (it was only 3 months old) the replacement they sent was a "refurbished" unit, for which there was no warranty at all. So the one year warranty somehow magically became a three month warranty.

So warranties can be a slippery thing.

Needless to say we stopped buying our displays from them.

Reactions: Warren and jsmithw
Jan 25, 2016
For what it's worth the company I worked for would buy Viewsonic PC LCD displays for our computers. They came with a one year warranty. On several occasions a display would go bad within 2 or 3 months. I was responsible for working with ViewSonic's warranty department for replacement.

I would report the bad display, they sent me a replacement, and life would go on. The first time this happened the replacement display went bad in about three weeks. When I called Viewsonic to get that one replaced they told me it was no longer under warranty. I pointed out that the warranty was good for one year. I was told that the warranty applied only to a new display. When the first one was replaced (it was only 3 months old) the replacement they sent was a "refurbished" unit, for which there was no warranty at all. So the one year warranty somehow magically became a three month warranty.

So warranties can be a slippery thing.

Needless to say we stopped buying our displays from them.

That's quite interesting ... as a Viewsonic reseller and user for about 20 years, we have never found one of their monitors with anything other than a three year warranty ... even their cheap $100 models. We have had maybe a total 5% failure rate over the 100s we've sold, and any of those that were replaced via warranty assumed the remainder of the original purchase warranty (as it should be).

Obviously, completely off-topic, but not really ... LG very obviously went above and beyond their responsibilities in this instance.

Jan 17, 2019
That's quite interesting ... as a Viewsonic reseller and user for about 20 years, we have never found one of their monitors with anything other than a three year warranty ... even their cheap $100 models. We have had maybe a total 5% failure rate over the 100s we've sold, and any of those that were replaced via warranty assumed the remainder of the original purchase warranty (as it should be).

Obviously, completely off-topic, but not really ... LG very obviously went above and beyond their responsibilities in this instance.
I agree that LG more than met their obligation.

On the Viewsonic issue, I found it disappointing, since our company had purchased over 1000 of their displays in the past, with a very low failure rate. However around 2010 we began to experience more and more failures, both in my office as well as corporate-wide, including our international divisions. I was only responsible for handling failures in my office, but the problem overall became such an issue that Corporate Purchasing chose to switch to Dell displays.

Apr 8, 2019
I used to write Limited Warranties for an international company. If you are referring to the original manufacturer's Limited Warranty you are probably out of luck since they always refer back to the original purchase date. However, if you are referring to a purchased extended warranty offered by the company the details of that warranty would apply. If it is a Limited Warranty, be glad that they are offering you any compensation. As for going to court, remember they have numerous inside and outside counsel to represent them, and the cost in both time and money you put out may outspend the investment.

Reactions: Neil Maley

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
If you haven't thrown out your latest LG TV, do a search on the model number and serial number to find out what year it was manufactured. I'm willing to bet that they replaced your two previous TVs with the same model/year as your first one from leftover stock and if so, your latest TV is really nine years old. And that particular model may have had a history of display problems.