Legit Damage, but no demand letter.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2020
Hello.
Last April, I legitimately damaged the bumper of my rental car, but I never received a demand letter. I filed a claim with my insurance agency, but they are still missing the demand letter and repair estimate, which I never received. The deadline to submit documents is almost up, so should I try to request such documents from Avis/ Budget? Thanks.

Sep 4, 2019
Did you report the damage and get an incident report when you returned the car? Or did you just turn it in as usual and wait for them to find the damage?

Reactions: alexucimartinez
Nov 22, 2019
Did you report the damage and get an incident report when you returned the car? Or did you just turn it in as usual and wait for them to find the damage?
That's a good question. It happened to me 2 times with Enterprise. I asked the guy and he told me not to care about it (one impact on the windshield and one bumper damaged).
Did you talk to people when you put the car back? Was it a local agency (they are nicer in my own experience), or airport location (they are busy). I never rented Avis or Budget so I don't know if they are after people money with fees like some low cost companies.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello.
Last April, I legitimately damaged the bumper of my rental car, but I never received a demand letter. I filed a claim with my insurance agency, but they are still missing the demand letter and repair estimate, which I never received. The deadline to submit documents is almost up, so should I try to request such documents from Avis/ Budget? Thanks.
What an interesting problem. I'd ignore it too ... but want to clarify one of your statements: "The deadline to submit docs is almost up ...". Your insurance company set that deadline, right? If so, then you can not worry about it any more. If the car guys come back to you, just send whatever to your insurance company to handle. You did your job, they did theirs, and Avis/Budget has not acted on the request for docs. Rental car companies have long memories, but in this case, they're the ones at fault.

The mind boggles thinking about the possible origins of your name Snickering Footman. Is there a story here?

Apr 5, 2020
What an interesting problem. I'd ignore it too ... but want to clarify one of your statements: "The deadline to submit docs is almost up ...". Your insurance company set that deadline, right? If so, then you can not worry about it any more. If the car guys come back to you, just send whatever to your insurance company to handle. You did your job, they did theirs, and Avis/Budget has not acted on the request for docs. Rental car companies have long memories, but in this case, they're the ones at fault.

The mind boggles thinking about the possible origins of your name Snickering Footman. Is there a story here?

The insurance I happen to be using here is Chase's Collision Damage Waiver, who set the deadline. I guess I will just wait and see then.

As for my username, it comes from a T.S. Elliot poem, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. Although I am certainly no poet, the line "And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker" has always stuck with me, and that's where my username derives from.