Last name misspelled with one letter CheapOair ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2020
I purchased the tickets on March 7, 2020 on CheapOair website. Next day I realized there was spelling error in my husband's last name, one letter.
I contacted CheapOair right away and asked for correction. I submitted several tickets to help desk, I spoke on the phone and sent emails. I was asked to provide with a copy of document, fill the form for Sata Airline with payment information on April 3,2020. Still I did not get any updates. Today I contacted CheapOair help desk and was advised to contact Sata Airline directly. When I contacted Sata I was told they were not allowed to make any corrections directly with me, it has to be done with CheapOair agency. CheaoOair keep sending me back to them. Since March 9, 2020 till now they were not able to make ONE letter correction in the ticket.
It is very frustrating and have no idea what to do next.
Thank you.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I purchased the tickets on March 7, 2020 on CheapOair website. Next day I realized there was spelling error in my husband's last name, one letter.
I contacted CheapOair right away and asked for correction. I submitted several tickets to help desk, I spoke on the phone and sent emails. I was asked to provide with a copy of document, fill the form for Sata Airline with payment information on April 3,2020. Still I did not get any updates. Today I contacted CheapOair help desk and was advised to contact Sata Airline directly. When I contacted Sata I was told they were not allowed to make any corrections directly with me, it has to be done with CheapOair agency. CheaoOair keep sending me back to them. Since March 9, 2020 till now they were not able to make ONE letter correction in the ticket.
It is very frustrating and have no idea what to do next.
Thank you.
If you recognized the error the next day, why didn't you cancel the first ticket (free within 24 hrs of booking) and make another reservation. After 24 hours you are at the mercy of Cheapo and may have to cancel the reservation with a fee, and rebook at current prices.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Apr 15, 2020
If you recognized the error the next day, why didn't you cancel the first ticket (free within 24 hrs of booking) and make another reservation. After 24 hours you are at the mercy of Cheapo and may have to cancel the reservation with a fee, and rebook at current prices.
On the website it said for any changes please call, that is why I called. I had no idea it could be a problem to change one single letter. I need to know what to do now. Thank you though.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to try and get in touch with them using our company contacts. Here is how to write:

When you book your own travel, these are the kind of things you are solely responsible for and need to know, unfortunately. You are simply dealing with computers, not humans. They have to fix it for you.

Sep 19, 2015
SATA allows agents to do a spelling correction (up to 3 letter) with a $50 penalty, The problem is the middleman, ie cheapoair. Cheapoair will likely add their own fees but should be able to do it. Write to the contacts like suggested. But these OTAs can be slow to respond under the best of times, and now with the pandemic it will be even worse.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
SATA allows agents to do a spelling correction (up to 3 letter) with a $50 penalty, The problem is the middleman, ie cheapoair. Cheapoair will likely add their own fees but should be able to do it. Write to the contacts like suggested. But these OTAs can be slow to respond under the best of times, and now with the pandemic it will be even worse.
This is good info, I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Nataliya. The online booking service you used is called "cheap" for a reason. They have little or no customer service. Unless your flights are scheduled within the next 90 days, I would suggest that you deal with them via email only. Everyone in the travel business is stretched to the limit, so it may take quite some time to get the name fixed. Ask them to do the correction ... they know perfectly well that they are the only ones who can change a tix ... be polite, patient and persistent. How I wish that all travellers could be aware that anyone can set up a slick website and pretend to be a travel agent. They may be fine as long as things go well, but when there's a problem, you are hung out to dry. The internet is not your friend. Best of luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Reactions: BittyBoo
Apr 15, 2020
This is good info, I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Nataliya. The online booking service you used is called "cheap" for a reason. They have little or no customer service. Unless your flights are scheduled within the next 90 days, I would suggest that you deal with them via email only. Everyone in the travel business is stretched to the limit, so it may take quite some time to get the name fixed. Ask them to do the correction ... they know perfectly well that they are the only ones who can change a tix ... be polite, patient and persistent. How I wish that all travellers could be aware that anyone can set up a slick website and pretend to be a travel agent. They may be fine as long as things go well, but when there's a problem, you are hung out to dry. The internet is not your friend. Best of luck, and please let us know what transpires.
Thank you. I am trying to very patient and understand the issues we are all facing right now. I keep email them and requesting to fix the error. By the way I submitted the form from Sata with my payment information.

Apr 15, 2020
Thank you. I am trying to very patient and understand the issues we are all facing right now. I keep email them and requesting to fix the error. By the way I submitted the form from Sata with my payment information.
I emailed Sata Airline and received the response today. "
The name change should be made by the travel agency and they didn't make any change yet.

If they need any assistance they must contact the help desk for travel agents."

That is why it confuses me when Help Desk advises me to visit the Sata office in Toronto, and Waivers Team tells me to call Sata and resolve on my own. I am sure they know that is nothing I could do. Cheap Oair sent me the form from Sata and I completed the form with payment and submitted back to them. After that in a week I received email saying:
"
We were working with the airlines upon your request for name correction.

Due to the heavy volumes of the request airline has requested the passenger to call their office directly at 8007629995 for their request.

Please contact the airline for the same.

Best Regards,
Allie

Executive
Customer Service Plus Waivers
Fax • 212-763-0468
Phone • 646-738-4943 ~81483
Working Hours(EST) • 8 AM to 8 PM (Monday - Friday)

Today I went on Facebook and requested to look into my case again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You will have to use our company contacts and go up the Executive Chain at Cheapo. They know that the airline won’t deal with you and are putting you off.

Click on the Fareportal link in post 5. They are with Fareportal. Copy and paste that email in your email to them and show them SATA will not deal with you.

Reactions: Nataliya
Aug 30, 2015
There should be huge fines for messing people around like this. A travel agency, who knows full well that they have possession of the reservation until the boarding pass is issued - should lose their travel agent's license. Never mind the fact they should have known to cancel the ticket. The amount of time effort and worry over people not being treated properly is mind boggling.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It is a stretch to call them travel agents.....they sell tickets, that is all they do. Exactly what the airlines do, no more than that. The best way to deal with this is not use OTAs.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There should be huge fines for messing people around like this. A travel agency, who knows full well that they have possession of the reservation until the boarding pass is issued - should lose their travel agent's license. Never mind the fact they should have known to cancel the ticket. The amount of time effort and worry over people not being treated properly is mind boggling.
I agree, there should be huge fines for websites who take advantage of consumers. It's an educational thing, a consumer educational thing. It would be helpful to all travellers if the various online booking services were not referred to as "travel agents". This seems to give inexperienced people a feeling of confidence that they are using an "agent" who would help them if necessary. As we all know, nothing could be further from the truth. Inexperienced travellers will continue to seek the cheapest anything, and seem to think that any website that looks "good" on the internet is a legitimate company. At least we can try to educate them to the perils of pursuing the cheapest anything.

Apr 15, 2020
I agree, there should be huge fines for websites who take advantage of consumers. It's an educational thing, a consumer educational thing. It would be helpful to all travellers if the various online booking services were not referred to as "travel agents". This seems to give inexperienced people a feeling of confidence that they are using an "agent" who would help them if necessary. As we all know, nothing could be further from the truth. Inexperienced travellers will continue to seek the cheapest anything, and seem to think that any website that looks "good" on the internet is a legitimate company. At least we can try to educate them to the perils of pursuing the cheapest anything.
I would like to make a comment. The only reason I chose to book my ticket with Cheapoair because they offer non stop flight. And in addition it was not cheap at all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would like to make a comment. The only reason I chose to book my ticket with Cheapoair because they offer non stop flight. And in addition it was not cheap at all.
If you saw a non stop flight on their website you should have been able to find that same flight on the airlines website. They aren’t coming up with new flights- they are giving you flights the airline has available.

Apr 15, 2020
If you saw a non stop flight on their website you should have been able to find that same flight on the airlines website. They aren’t coming up with new flights- they are giving you flights the airline has available.
Only available flights on Sata website were with stop in Lisbon. Spending 20 hours instead of 5.5 I believe doesn't make any sense. But thank you for the advise.