Kenya Airways issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 27, 2015
Booked a trip on 022220 from Chicago-JFK-Nairobi with Kenya Airways. Reservation number XXXXXX and paid for same on my AE
credit card-value of tickets for my wife and I was 6880.70. Our departure date was 060520and our return date was 061420. For
info I am 77 years of age and my wife is 79

Checking my flight information I observed that my flight from ORD to JFK (Delta 4881 or Kenya KQ003) has been cancelled. I attempted
to contact Kenya airlines numerous time via e mail and received no response. My first e mail was sent March 21-- I then attempted to
go on their web page and use their chat line- For three days I was on hold with an anticipated time for a chat to begin in 24 minutes. Each
time the response time increased or I was disconnected when I was told I was #1 in line to start a chat. I then sent another e mail and received a
response from the airlines on April 2nd and was the airline was not offering any cash refunds only a voucher for future travel-I must make up
my mind on the voucher by April 30.

I responded via e mail that I had no use for a voucher and requested a cash refund. I have not had a response from the airlines as of the time.

I have attempted to locate information to send e mails through the executive chain of command and I am not able to locate any data on that
info.

NOTE- Edited by moderator to remove booking number.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Probably a good idea, then, to calculate the time in Africa vs where you are and attempt to reach them by phone and chat. You mention a Delta flight number ... with whom did you book your tix?

I've never used social media to deal with a consumer issue, but t seems to be very successful. FaceBook is truly simple to use. If you like, we can tell you how to set up an account and use FB to communicate.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2015
Entire booking was made with Kenya Airways==they are part of Sky Team so probably was code share as there is both a
Delta flight number and a Kenya airways flight number

Reactions: jsn55
May 30, 2019
These questions are germane to what rights you might have:
  1. When you booked the flight, were you physically located in the US?
  2. Did you pay in US dollars?
  3. Do you know if the plane is operated by Delta or by Kenya Airlines?

Nov 27, 2015
Yes I was at my home in Cudahy Wis. Paid in U.S. $ with my American Express card--Suspect the flight out of Chicago is a Delta flight
as it has both a Delta and Kenya airlines flight number. Not sure if its worth anything but I am a Platinum Medallion member with
Delta---that is the main reason I booked with Kenya Air as they are part of the Sky Team

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes I was at my home in Cudahy Wis. Paid in U.S. $ with my American Express card--Suspect the flight out of Chicago is a Delta flight
as it has both a Delta and Kenya airlines flight number. Not sure if its worth anything but I am a Platinum Medallion member with
Delta---that is the main reason I booked with Kenya Air as they are part of the Sky Team
Your first flight cannot be on Kenya Air-they cannot fly within the US to another US destination. Your first flight is on Delta.

Nov 27, 2015
The confirmation shows both a Delta and Kenya Air number-that is why I think it is just a code share. I dont think Delta can do anything for
me as the entire reservation was made on Kenya web site.... I tired to go on line and book a flight on Kenya Air-apparently from one the post I would have to get to JFK to utilize the voucher---will try this AM to see if I can get on chat line and work things out-suspect I will just be on hold as in the past-getting concerned as from their e mail I must take some action by the 30th of April

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would suggest waiting. If you cancel anything now you are going to be charged a cancellation fee since Kenya Air isn’t waiving anything for June flights yet.

You should receive a refund from Delta for the canceled flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ah, Platinum SkyMiles ... what good news. Delta people are considered the best. When you call DL, you can leave your number and they will call you back. I would call SkyMiles, tell them you're calling for advice because you don't know where to turn. Put on your charming face. Make a little list of the facts. Explain the situation slowly but distinctly so as not to overwhelm the agent. Everyone's aware of how convoluted everything is right now. S/he should be able to bring up your entire itinerary. Your goal is to obtain an email address of an executive at Kenya Air. All you need to do is get one DL person interested in helping you.

Reactions: FrankL183
Nov 27, 2015
At a loss for waiting as Kenya Air has told me via e mail that I have until April 30 to take a voucher or I suspect I lose my money- Not sure on the Delta giving me a refund as the entire booking was done via Kenya Airways

Nov 27, 2015
Called Delta re matter and was told that booking was made with Kenya Air and I have to work it out with them. Tried to go on line and see if I could pick a destination to use a voucher-no luck---- Went to their web page to chat and on hold for 30+ minutes only to be told no agents available-check back later. This was at 0420 my time

May 30, 2019
I'm not surprised DL told you to work through Kenya Air. You booked the flight though Kenya so they own the booking.

The recent DOT guidance may help get a refund. Here is one of several recent stories on the topic. Of course, you have to get through to Kenya Air first. Hope it works out.

Reactions: BittyBoo

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why don’t you see if our researcher can find company contacts for you?

Reactions: Skippy and BittyBoo

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
At a loss for waiting as Kenya Air has told me via e mail that I have until April 30 to take a voucher or I suspect I lose my money- Not sure on the Delta giving me a refund as the entire booking was done via Kenya Airways
Delta is not going to give you a refund. My suggestion was that you ask the SkyMiles people for a contact at Kenya so you could get your questions answered.

Reactions: Skippy