Kenmore Elite defective stove

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 23, 2020
I replaced all of my kitchen appliances in August 2018 with Kenmore Elite appliances from Sears. The Sears store has since closed. I didn't purchase the extended warranty since I'd had Kenmore appliances for 20 years with no issues. Right after the 1 year warranty ran out, one of the burners on the range started randomly beeping. I could make it stop if I spun the dial so it was just annoying. As the months went by. the beeping escalated and got so bad that I had to sleep with my bedroom door closed because it would just start beeping in the middle of the night. About a month ago the burner started to spontaneously turn itself onto the highest setting and heat up. It is an induction cooktop so is not supposed to heat up unless there is a pan on the burner. One night I left a tea kettle full of water on the bad burner. In the morning I found that all of the water had boiled off and the burner had burned the bottom of the kettle and the entire cooktop had cracked. My stove is a model # 790.95073 and I did some research. It turns out that the Consumer Protection Agency had done a recall in 2009 of a similar model because of this very issue. The stoves were deemed a fire hazard. There was a class action suit against Sears and Frigidaire since the actual manufacturer of the unit is Frigidaire. When I call Sears they said they couldn't do anything until I paid $99 to have a tech come out and check out the stove. The tech came out yesterday and gave me an estimate of $934 to fix the stove or told me to buy a new one for $1300. This is totally unacceptable since the unit is a terrible safety hazard. I called Sears again to complain and the customer service agent said they could do NOTHING to help since my warranty had expired. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one wasn't available but someone would call me back. I am still waiting for that call. I hope that by posting on the website I can get some help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Had you researched the stove before you bought it? This is certainly a dangerous situation. It’s unfortunate you purchased Kenmore products in 2018 because there have been so many complaints since they haven’t been made by Sears and with Sears financial problems, they seem to be hanging on by a thread.

We have company contacts for Sears in our Company Contacts tab. This is how to you escalate your complaint:

I also urge you to call the Consumer Product Safety Bureau tomorrow to report this:

Feb 23, 2020
I have sent emails to Sears customer complaint dept. ([email protected]) and to the contact names on this forum. I also contacted the consumer hotline to file a claim and called the Sears Shop Your Way credit card to see if they had an extended warranty as part of their card. So far I am only getting the runaround. The Kenmore service department did fill out a form with my complaint but told me they would not help cover the cost of the repair or replacement stove. Right now I have this demon stove in my house that could burn my house down and no one at Sears or Kenmore seems to think this is worth bothering with.

• Sad
Reactions: Marjorie Pinard

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you write to the Consumer Product Safety Board? It sounds like because the oven was out of warranty, they aren't going to make an exception. You wrote one at a time to each of the executives, leaving a week in between each email?

If it were me, I would be replacing the stove and perhaps taking them to small claims court. I wouldn't want to have that in my house nor would I pay to fix a stove that is that defective.

Reactions: jsmithw and VoR61
Jun 24, 2019
If you are truly concerned about your house burning down, replace the stove now. There are plenty of people who will sell you a new one, such as Home Depot or Lowe's If it makes you feel better, most such sellers will also sell you an extended warranty, although those are usually, but not always, as you have found out, a bad deal. Consumer Reports may provide insight on a reliable brand. Write to Sears, tell them you are replacing the dangerous stove, and give them one more chance to inspect or replace. Then replace it. If you have room on your property, you can keep it as a planter. If not, then send it off with the seller of the new stove or the garbage people.

Whether you have any right to recover any funds as you are past the warranty date is unknown. But you will sleep better at night. And your house won't burn down.

Reactions: jsmithw and DanD