• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 8, 2020
My LAX-MDE flight was cancelled by Interjet due to Colombian government restrictions. I spoke to Interjet directly and they confirmed my itinerary was cancelled and after some conversation, confirmed I am eligible for a refund under the US DOT mandate but I had to request a refund through my booking agent, JustFly.
I then proceeded to JustFly and went through their online ‘COVID refund request’, which turns out cancels your booking. I was charged $70 by JustFly for a ‘handling fee’ which they refused to refund, and only gave me a credit for the airline which was listed on JustFly’s website as being refund eligible. I disputed the $70 with my credit card and then was told by JustFly that they could not proceed with my refund request with Interjet because I had a dispute open and I needed a letter from my bank stating the dispute was closed. So, given that my $744.30 is more important than $70, I cancelled my dispute and sent them the letter they requested a week ago.
I cannot get a straight answer about what the status of my refund is, whether they have even contacted Interjet yet. My flight was supposed to be in 5 days from now and I am concerned that if they don’t act before the flight date that it will be more difficult to get money back.
This has been going on since 5/23/20, when I found out from Interjet my flight want cancelled. I have been keeping all emails and recording phone calls. Should I wait it out longer? Or now dispute everything, the cost of the flight and the $70 handling fee, with my credit card company?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
JustFly is high on the list of agency complaints- so much so that the BBB actually has a warning for consumers not to use them.

Justfly can charge fees for their services and you agree to them when booking. And they are not located in the US - they are located in Canada which has different laws than the US. While the cancellation may fall within the DOT rules, a ticket purchased through an agency is not mandated by DOT rules. From the DOT:

“The refund/reservation requirement for airlines does not apply to tickets booked through online travel agencies, travel agents, or other third-party agents. However, these agents are free to apply the same or similar procedures to provide equivalent or similar customer service. If you purchased your ticket through an online travel agency (or other agent), you should contact the travel agent directly to obtain a refund before contacting the airline.“

This, topped by using Justfly, limits your ability to demand a cash refund. The airline can’t refuse a refund but the travel agency can.

We have company contacts on our company contact page for JustFly that you can use to try and go up the corporate ladder. This is how you should write:

Jun 8, 2020
JustFly is high on the list of agency complaints- so much so that the BBB actually has a warning for consumers not to use them.

Justfly can charge fees for their services and you agree to them when booking. And they are not located in the US - they are located in Canada which has different laws than the US. While the cancellation may fall within the DOT rules, a ticket purchased through an agency is not mandated by DOT rules. From the DOT:

“The refund/reservation requirement for airlines does not apply to tickets booked through online travel agencies, travel agents, or other third-party agents. However, these agents are free to apply the same or similar procedures to provide equivalent or similar customer service. If you purchased your ticket through an online travel agency (or other agent), you should contact the travel agent directly to obtain a refund before contacting the airline.“

This, topped by using Justfly, limits your ability to demand a cash refund. The airline can’t refuse a refund but the travel agency can.

We have company contacts on our company contact page for JustFly that you can use to try and go up the corporate ladder. This is how you should write:

Hi just thought I'd write a quick update, I incessantly emailed and called JustFly every 2-3 days to check in about my refund status, documented it all. I received an email from them, followed by a phone call, that the credit card charges would be reversed and I can expect to get my money back in 12-18 weeks! I will monitor my credit cards but at least now I have confirmation from them I can show to my credit card if I don't receive the reversed charge.

Reactions: Patina

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi just thought I'd write a quick update, I incessantly emailed and called JustFly every 2-3 days to check in about my refund status, documented it all. I received an email from them, followed by a phone call, that the credit card charges would be reversed and I can expect to get my money back in 12-18 weeks! I will monitor my credit cards but at least now I have confirmation from them I can show to my credit card if I don't receive the reversed charge.
Justfly is probably just delaying things long enough that when they do not give you a refund you will be far past any point of going back to your credit card for a refund. 12-18 weeks is a very long time.

Sep 9, 2018
Is the refund part in writing or was that during the phone call? I hope it's in writing. If not, I'm afraid that @weihlac is right: just a stall technique to get you to go away until it's too late for a cc chargeback.

Hoping that it's in writing!!!! :)