Joy's Adventure Excursion - St. Lucia

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2020
I had an excursion booked with Joy's Adventures on St. Lucia on June 12, 2020. This excursion is not affiliated with the cruise company and was a 3rd party private booking. I paid via PayPal. Of course, the cruise was canceled so I canceled my excursion via email. My first email went unanswered after several days so I followed up with another email to cancel and request a refund for the excursion price of $350. I received a response this time saying my original email went to junk folder but due to all the cancelations there were no funds in their PayPal account to refund me but they would refund me when funds became available after cruises started sailing again.

I don't want to be unreasonable during the pandemic but I also don't want to lose $350. Should I dispute this with PayPal? Or ask for a chargeback on my credit card (which I used for the PayPal transaction)? Any advice is appreciated!

smd

Mar 14, 2018
What were the terms of your booking? Was it cancellable for a full refund? A credit? Unless it was cancellable for a refund, you don't have a valid PayPal or credit card dispute.

If they offered you a refund out of goodwill and you file a dispute, they may decide to adhere to the terms and withdraw their offer. If the excursion isn't refundable, your best option would be to wait for the goodwill refund (which still may never come given their financial situation.)

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What were the terms of your booking? Was it cancellable for a full refund? A credit? Unless it was cancellable for a refund, you don't have a valid PayPal or credit card dispute.

If they offered you a refund out of goodwill and you file a dispute, they may decide to adhere to the terms and withdraw their offer. If the excursion isn't refundable, your best option would be to wait for the goodwill refund (which still may never come given their financial situation.)
SMD is 100% correct. If the terms of the booking were that it was a nonrefundable booking - you may not win a dispute. However, I checked their website and they say they aren't accepting any bookings - which could mean financial issues. I hope that if you file a dispute, they will be able to get your money back if that is why you aren't hearing from them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
These islands have a really tough time financially from year to year. They run on very lean margins, are at the mercy of the weather (hurricanes, etc.) and the global economy. One little thing can topple everything. This pandemic came at one of the worst times in the year when they see large tourist activity. In one month's time, their bookings are probably very little due to the start of hurricane season. My guess is there is no money in their coffers to refund you.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
These islands have a really tough time financially from year to year. They run on very lean margins, are at the mercy of the weather (hurricanes, etc.) and the global economy. One little thing can topple everything. This pandemic came at one of the worst times in the year when they see large tourist activity. In one month's time, their bookings are probably very little due to the start of hurricane season. My guess is there is no money in their coffers to refund you.
I agree, I think they'd like to refund, but they won't be able to. Part of me says that I'd just let this go. But it's a lot of money. Everything depends on the terms and conditions of your booking. Please let us know how this goes.