Issue with Alaska airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
On Feb 9, 2020 my son flew from TLV to Newark NJ on a 2 leg flight. Second leg was Feb. 16th on Alaska Airlines (a codeshare partner with EL AL) to LAX. His return flight was with EL AL on Feb 23 from LAX to TLV. When he checked luggage in TLV on Feb 9th, he paid EL AL for an extra suitcase. When he checked in with Alaska Airlines on Feb 16th, he was charged international price of $110 for suitcase from EWR to LAX. When he asked why, the supervisor told him that he had to pay now for the bag international fee but would not be charged again in LAX on his return home. However, that was not the case. EL AL charged him $110 again. I filed an inquiry on his behalf through the link on your website as he has no internet access in his home. I put in his information and they emailed him a response but not a resolution. His argument was 1. Alaska Airlines told him he would not have to pay again but he did. 2. If he needed to pay for the bag from EWR to LAX it should have been a domestic cost of $25 not $110. I am copying the response he received and requesting help in taking this matter further: The resolution that we would like would be the difference of the domestic cost vs. international cost. Thank you!
Dear Mordechai,
Thank you for sharing feedback of the baggage fees incurred on 2/16/2020 It's our goal to make sure every trip you have on Alaska goes smoothly. The best way for us to do that is hearing from you.
I am very sorry to hear of the confusion with the baggage fee charges. We are not able to advise on what another airlines policies and procedures are. I have forwarded your concerns of the agent advising that additional charges would not apply while checking in for your El Al Israel Airlines flight from Los Angeles. I have forwarded your concerns to our Newark Customer Service Manager.
When it comes to baggage fees and traveling with multiple air carriers, the baggage fees may be applied by the carrier that holds control of the ticket purchased. Below is information found on our website.
If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.
When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

Sincerely,
Laurie G.
Customer Care Representative
Reference#: 6104147

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your son needs to contact us, we are unable to deal with third-party posts. Please tell him to make a concise list of the facts in chronological order. It looks like we will be able to assist.

May 18, 2020
Is he able to contact you by email? He does not have internet access but does have email.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is he able to contact you by email? He does not have internet ed itaccess but does have email.
Sorry, I missed this when you posted it; we have a new platform and apparently I'm not using it correctly. We are unable to accept an email, but if he sends you the fact list you can post it here.