Is it time to ditch Thrifty Blue Chip?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2017
I have accumulated a good amount of points with Thrifty Blue chip. Had a free week rental in Maui back in February which saved me $500 or so. Not sure my balance right now as their website has said the points are down temporarily.

But with Thrifty being part of the Hertz umbrella, and Hertz filing chaper 11, would I be wise to start accumulating points elsewhere? if so, which program lets you accumulate free days the fastest?

thanks!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I don't think so. I doubt they will go out of business for the reasons Neil gave. If they do, they most likely won't be alone. Most of the airlines we use today have gone through this and survived.

Reactions: FrankL183

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Personally, I give Hertz about a 60% chance of survival as-is. Even before the pandemic hit, the parent company was taking on too much debt, losing corporate contracts, and making some business mistakes in selling their used cars. Unlike the airlines, their core assets (cars) depreciate rather quickly. It is possible that Thrifty may be spun off or sold to a competitor. All MHO.

Every frequent travel program has it's strengths & weaknesses. You may want to check out National Rental Car for their frequent travel program; however, you want to get Emerald Aisle for the best combination of selection & price.

Apr 10, 2017
I have accumulated a good amount of points with Thrifty Blue chip. Had a free week rental in Maui back in February which saved me $500 or so. Not sure my balance right now as their website has said the points are down temporarily.

But with Thrifty being part of the Hertz umbrella, and Hertz filing chaper 11, would I be wise to start accumulating points elsewhere? if so, which program lets you accumulate free days the fastest?

thanks!
I think that choosing one rental company over another based on the rewards program is putting the car(t) before the horse. I seem to get the best results going through Costco Travel's low price finder. It's interesting that Hertz is included on Costco UK but not Costco US. Sadly, my calendar told me that today is the day that I was supposed to pick up a Hertz rental in London.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think that choosing one rental company over another based on the rewards program is putting the car(t) before the horse. I seem to get the best results going through Costco Travel's low price finder. It's interesting that Hertz is included on Costco UK but not Costco US. Sadly, my calendar told me that today is the day that I was supposed to pick up a Hertz rental in London.
Another vote for going through Costco to rent vehicles, and also AutoEurope. The in-hand savings are of much more value than any car rental loyalty program.

Sep 27, 2018
This is based on a feeling with no data, but being a frequent renter with one provider seems to reduce the hassle factor of renting a car particularly the shenanigans with mystery damage. I've noticed many times on this forum the complaints of getting a surprise charge on a car rental seem to come from one-time renters. Have to wonder if franchisees look for an easy mark to pull this BS. Financially, I agree the points or free days do not repay the costs of the rentals, but for me there is the benefit of the lack of hassle and speed in renting a car, or being upgraded without even asking are worth the additional cost.

Sep 27, 2018
Take pictures of the car at pickup and drop off. I’ve never had any false claims doing this and some of the reps. think I’m crazy so perhaps that works just as well.
Yes I do the same, but they seem to get more creative such smell of smoke or damage on the lower fascia where most us won't take pix.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I advise travellers to use the strongest credit card you have for car rentals. I've never had an issue with American Express or Chase Sapphire cards. The car agencies know that both companies will back their cardholders. So they leave us alone.

Reactions: FrankL183
Dec 12, 2014
Considering how many times the airlines have filed Chapter 11 with no loss of FF miles, your Thrifty points are probably safe.

From a free rental day perspective, I have found National to be the easiest & fastest to earn free rentals.

Sep 27, 2018
I advise travellers to use the strongest credit card you have for car rentals. I've never had an issue with American Express or Chase Sapphire cards. The car agencies know that both companies will back their cardholders. So they leave us alone.
One option I went with for my personal rentals from Amex is they have an insurance you can purchase where they are the primary insurance, whereas most credit card insurance is secondary to you auto policy. I think it is $20-24 per rental, which is a good deal since most of my personal rentals are 1 to 2 weeks long. My rationale for using it is they now have skin in the game so I can expect they will be very responsive.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Considering how many times the airlines have filed Chapter 11 with no loss of FF miles, your Thrifty points are probably safe.
The airlines have better collateral compared to Hertz. The airlines have long-lasting planes and airport slot rights. Hertz has a fleet of poorly managed cars that depreciate quickly, many of which do not match consumer interests. That's why Hertz may have to liquidate.

Reactions: justlisa

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The airlines have better collateral compared to Hertz. The airlines have long-lasting planes and airport slot rights. Hertz has a fleet of poorly managed cars that depreciate quickly, many of which do not match consumer interests. That's why Hertz may have to liquidate.
Hertz going under is only the tip of the iceberg; government reaction to the virus is wrecking our economy and nobody seems to care.