IKEA ASSEMBLY SERVICES

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 7, 2020
Visiting my son and family in Texas (we live in Argentina) we wanted to give them a present, something useful for their new house, so we decided to buy a closet.

We have been IKEA fans since 1999, having bought stuff in places as diverse as Barcelona, Burbank or Taastrup, so there were no doubts regarding the place where to buy that closet.

We visited your Round Rock branch on 01/29 and paid $ 1,520.64 for the complete kit. We were all very happy. What we didn't know is that we were gifting them a real headache.

The saleswoman told us that you have a partner company for the assembly of the kit, which, on the other hand, is explicitly indicated on your website. She also explained us that such a big piece of furniture will require two people, and that it could be ready in one day.

The reality is that one person called, twice, both times while my son was driving and he couldn’t talk.
He didn’t give a number in order to return the call. Finally he called and said he decided to drop-out and sent another person.

The other person was a woman, that came on her own, only one person.
She worked many hours during two days, badly assembled two of the three modules, let them unfinished, and doing that broke several pieces.

She looked very, very incompetent. She had no previous experience with that product and no idea of how to do the job. The doors do not close because they are incorrectly leveled, and some other parts are also badly assembled.

We are now hardly needig a qualified carpenter able to correct the mistakes and finish the job.

But the real problem is the lack of communication with TaskRabbit, and the attitude of IKEA people saying that they have nothing to do either with Rabbit or with the assembly of the closet.

Task Rabbit is a very particular “company”, since there is no a telephone number, no direct contact with anyone, it looks like a ghost company.
From what I understood it is an UBER or AIRBNB model, with the difference that in those companies there is always a human being ready to assist you when difficulties arise. There is always someone that help to solve problems.
Not at Task Rabbit.

Needing a brand to portrait the image of a solid, efficient, strong and reliable company, I would had never chosen a rabbit, a small creature only able for escaping and hide.

But it seems the name of the company perfectly chosen in this case. They are hidden, covered by the comfort of the anonymity of the texts, and avoiding personal contact.

And the answers my son got from IKEA have been equally elusive, because nobody feels responsible of anything. They repeat: we have nothing to do with that job or with Task Rabbit, and of course we are not going to pay for the broken pieces or the shipping.

Both Rabbit and IKEA asked my son to indicate the code number of those pieces, which he obviously doesn't know. Identifying and asking for them should be the job of the “tasker” who broke them.

In short: a disaster of customer service both from TaskRabbit and sadly from IKEA too.
The whole image of IKEA that my wife and I have had during twenty years is falling apart. Very sad.

Nov 22, 2019
Do you have some type of renter insurance or coverage on your credit card?
TaskRabbit is the uber for small tasks, it's not a carpenter company. People post any type of gigs like on Craiglists, walking dogs, cutting grass, cleaning house.... and random people on the app do it.

When you say "he saleswoman told us that you have a partner company", why didn't you choose this company?

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I'm not sure why you would blame either Ikea or TaskRabbit for for these issues. TaskRabbit is a service where individuals offer their services. They describe their qualifications and tell you their hourly rate. It's up to you to interview them further and decide who you want to hire.

With that said, TaskRabbit does have a "Happiness Pledge" that can protect you when things go wrong. You can read about how to use it here: https://www.taskrabbit.com/pledge

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
Visiting my son and family in Texas (we live in Argentina) we wanted to give them a present, something useful for their new house, so we decided to buy a closet.

We have been IKEA fans since 1999, having bought stuff in places as diverse as Barcelona, Burbank or Taastrup, so there were no doubts regarding the place where to buy that closet.

We visited your Round Rock branch on 01/29 and paid $ 1,520.64 for the complete kit. We were all very happy. What we didn't know is that we were gifting them a real headache.

The saleswoman told us that you have a partner company for the assembly of the kit, which, on the other hand, is explicitly indicated on your website. She also explained us that such a big piece of furniture will require two people, and that it could be ready in one day.

The reality is that one person called, twice, both times while my son was driving and he couldn’t talk.
He didn’t give a number in order to return the call. Finally he called and said he decided to drop-out and sent another person.

The other person was a woman, that came on her own, only one person.
She worked many hours during two days, badly assembled two of the three modules, let them unfinished, and doing that broke several pieces.

She looked very, very incompetent. She had no previous experience with that product and no idea of how to do the job. The doors do not close because they are incorrectly leveled, and some other parts are also badly assembled.

We are now hardly needig a qualified carpenter able to correct the mistakes and finish the job.

But the real problem is the lack of communication with TaskRabbit, and the attitude of IKEA people saying that they have nothing to do either with Rabbit or with the assembly of the closet.

Task Rabbit is a very particular “company”, since there is no a telephone number, no direct contact with anyone, it looks like a ghost company.
From what I understood it is an UBER or AIRBNB model, with the difference that in those companies there is always a human being ready to assist you when difficulties arise. There is always someone that help to solve problems.
Not at Task Rabbit.

Needing a brand to portrait the image of a solid, efficient, strong and reliable company, I would had never chosen a rabbit, a small creature only able for escaping and hide.

But it seems the name of the company perfectly chosen in this case. They are hidden, covered by the comfort of the anonymity of the texts, and avoiding personal contact.

And the answers my son got from IKEA have been equally elusive, because nobody feels responsible of anything. They repeat: we have nothing to do with that job or with Task Rabbit, and of course we are not going to pay for the broken pieces or the shipping.

Both Rabbit and IKEA asked my son to indicate the code number of those pieces, which he obviously doesn't know. Identifying and asking for them should be the job of the “tasker” who broke them.

In short: a disaster of customer service both from TaskRabbit and sadly from IKEA too.
The whole image of IKEA that my wife and I have had during twenty years is falling apart. Very sad.
Task rabbit person messed this up.

How was this arranged — through ikea or did you go through link to task rabbit?

Apr 3, 2016
Ikea owns TaskRabbit, but is a separate company. If you select the link for TaskRabbit on the Ikea website, it takes you to the external website for TaskRabbit. It says specifically that by using TaskRabbit, you are under their terms of use/privacy, not Ikea. It seems that the buyer, not Ikea, arranges for the tasker.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Are you still in Texas and able to help with this? If not, things might get a little dicey ... third-party reports are always an issue because the details are so incredibly important. I know nothing about IKEA or TaskRabbit, but here are my thoughts.

If you're still in TX, I think you'll have to go back to IKEA and unravel this mess one bit at a time. I'd go in person to the store from which you bought the closet (really? you can buy a while closet??) and find someone to help. Otherwise your son will have to start the ball rolling.

If nobody at IKEA store will help, you should proceed in writing. make a concise list of all the facts, all the details. Leave out all the extraneous information like the details of the person who came to assemble this, just state that she was incompetent and broke a bunch of stuff and the product is unusable. Your job is to find someone at IKEA who wants to help you, so be very polite, very patient and very persistent. It could take months to get this sorted out. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Mar 7, 2020
Do you have some type of renter insurance or coverage on your credit card?
TaskRabbit is the uber for small tasks, it's not a carpenter company. People post any type of gigs like on Craiglists, walking dogs, cutting grass, cleaning house.... and random people on the app do it.

When you say "he saleswoman told us that you have a partner company", why didn't you choose this company?
Hello, this sentence is part of the letter I sent to IKEA. So "you" is IKEA. I didn't know anything about Task Rabbit before, so I couldn't imagine how it works. If you read the website you can only understand that TR is a different (associated) company they use for assembling. It sounds completely reasonable. No way to guess that things are so different.
Thanks for your help.

Mar 7, 2020
Task rabbit person messed this up.

How was this arranged — through ikea or did you go through link to task rabbit?
Through IKEA. They gave my son the address to contact Rabbit. We thought they were a carpenters company. Nobody told us anything different. Thanks