I would like some advice on what my options are for a screwed up order with a major home improvement store

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 24, 2019
This all started on 7/4/2019 when my wife and I ordered a vanity top through our local home
improvement store who in turn orders it from their vendor.
About the middle of August we received the vanity top but it wasn't until 8/19 that we were ready to
install it and we discovered that the back splash was missing. So the following is the progression of
events.

8/20/19
Notified the store of the missing back splash and they ordered a replacement

9/13/19
went to pick up new back splash and it was the wrong size

10/4/19
New back splash came in but it was damaged

11/3/19
new back splash came in and as I was about to install it I noticed that the pattern was different and
the back ground was lighter. After going back to the store I came to the conclusion that the new
back splash was the correct pattern that we ordered and the vanity top was wrong. Due to the
difference in lighting, the similarity in patterns and being a month between ordering and receiving
the vanity top we couldn't see the difference of what we ordered and what we got. I pointed this out
to the store and they said that they would talk to the vendor and come up with a solution. As of
today, 11/24/19, I can not find out what that solution is. Two times I talked to one of the stores
managers and asked if I could get some kind of compensation for my trouble and delays and both
times he said he would talk to the vendor to find out what they would do as this was not the store's
problem and both times I heard nothing back.

So my question is what options or rights do I have?

Nov 24, 2019
Normally it's 30 days but this is a special order and It already installed so they wont take it back (according to the store manager)

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Normally it's 30 days but this is a special order and It already installed so they won't take it back (according to the store manager)
If the special order is not correct (e.g. different patterns on the vanity and backsplash) you did not receive a usable product. Make it clear to the store manager that you will be returning (and go to the store with both pieces and show them to the manager) the pieces for full credit. If they refuse, this is grounds for a credit card chargeback as you were provided unsatisfactory/unacceptable goods, whether they were "special order" or not. You cannot be required to accept a "special order" that is defective. It is no different than ordering a blue car and finding one fender is green.

Nov 24, 2019
The store is Lowes and it's in California. I didn't see it listed on the contacts page. But right now I'm just looking to find out
if I am entitled to, or should reasonably expect, some sort of compensation. Or if there is anything that I can use for leverage
such as laws, consumer rights,...etc

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The store is Lowes and it's in California. I didn't see it listed on the contacts page. But right now I'm just looking to find out
if I am entitled to, or should reasonably expect, some sort of compensation. Or if there is anything that I can use for leverage
such as laws, consumer rights,...etc
If you paid with a credit card, you have protection against incorrect/defective/missing orders/parts. If you used another payment type you will have to see what that payment source provides for your protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you paid with a credit card, you have protection against incorrect/defective/missing orders/parts. If you used another payment type you will have to see what that payment source provides for your protection.
The problem that can happen is that it may be too late to do a dispute. The charge looks like it went through in July- it is now well beyond the dispute period. But the OPs credit card company can advise if a dispute is still an option.

Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The problem that can happen is that it may be too late to do a dispute. The charge looks like it went through in July- it is now well beyond the dispute period. But the OPs credit card company can advise if a dispute is still an option.
The actual delivery was 3 weeks ago. The CC will have to deal with it. This is no different from making a flight reservation and paying in July and having the flight cancelled in Nov.

Feb 24, 2018
If the special order is not correct (e.g. different patterns on the vanity and backsplash) you did not receive a usable product. Make it clear to the store manager that you will be returning (and go to the store with both pieces and show them to the manager) the pieces for full credit. If they refuse, this is grounds for a credit card chargeback as you were provided unsatisfactory/unacceptable goods, whether they were "special order" or not. You cannot be required to accept a "special order" that is defective. It is no different than ordering a blue car and finding one fender is green.
Yes, but at a certain point, the recipient is deemed to have "accepted" the product. Even if you receive a defective or incorrect product, you cannot keep it indefinitely and then return it.

The actual delivery of the defective product was not three weeks ago. It was mid August.

Reactions: JMLamb and jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, but at a certain point, the recipient is deemed to have "accepted" the product. Even if you receive a defective or incorrect product, you cannot keep it indefinitely and then return it.

The actual delivery of the defective product was not three weeks ago. It was mid August.

"10/4/19

11/3/19
new back splash came in and as I was about to install it I noticed that the pattern was different and
the back ground was lighter. "

The OP has two pieces, not matching pattern/color, last piece delivered Nov 3. If you cannot dispute an incomplete order delivered 3 mos apart, then any merchant could ship one piece immediately, and then wait 3 mos for the rest of the order.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
"10/4/19

11/3/19
the back ground was lighter. "

The OP has two pieces, not matching pattern/color, last piece delivered Nov 3. If you cannot dispute an incomplete order delivered 3 mos apart, then any merchant could ship one piece immediately, and then wait 3 mos for the rest of the order.
I believe you have 120 days from receipt of goods to file a "not as described" dispute. So even using the mid-August initial receipt, the OP can still file (but just barely).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good grief, life is getting complicated for today's consumer! If there's anything I've picked up over the last few years, it's to be ultra-careful with anything you purchase nowadays. Inspect it immediately, try it out, make sure it works ... don't accept anything that's not perfect. The sense of reasonableness that's always prevailed in American commerce seems to have gone. I suppose it's the difference between the "local store" and the big box companies we deal with now. This situation will take a great deal of effort and attention to detail in order to get you a new product that's right. My colleagues have given excellent advice. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Jan 11, 2019
I think your biggest issue is going to be that it took you 3 months to "come to the conclusion " that you received the wrong vanity. If your backsplash matched the vanity, would you have come to the same conclusion? I would check the original order receipts just to make sure so you can have evidence of your original order. They might conclude that you just changed your mind. You've already installed it, so they might wonder why you didn't return it for the right vanity if it was the wrong color. Just trying to think of all scenarios here so you can be prepared. Good luck.

Mar 18, 2019
I think your biggest issue is going to be that it took you 3 months to "come to the conclusion " that you received the wrong vanity. If your backsplash matched the vanity, would you have come to the same conclusion? I would check the original order receipts just to make sure so you can have evidence of your original order. They might conclude that you just changed your mind. You've already installed it, so they might wonder why you didn't return it for the right vanity if it was the wrong color. Just trying to think of all scenarios here so you can be prepared. Good luck.
I agree, this is probably going to be something you're going to encounter when you try to return it. If the difference between what you ordered and what you got isn't that great, you might want to consider asking if they will replace your backsplash with a piece that matches the countertop. It might be a little easier to convince them to do that since the cost of correction will be much less for them then needing to refabricate the more expensive piece plus the additional install and an uninstall cost.

Just a thought, based on the fact that you seem to be ok with the countertop you actually got...

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
OP stated that the vanity is installed and he simply wants to know if he's entitled to compensation for his troubles.

OP: you should write the company contacts and ask for a gift card toward a future purchase as a goodwill gesture. You received what you purchased and paid for (albeit in an untimely manner) and by installing the item you acknowledge that you are satisfied with the product you finally received.

Apr 8, 2019
As a past independent inspector for Lowe's complaints, I would write in my report that they replace the backsplash so that it matches the countertop. The OP accepted the "wrong" color by installing the countertop. As far as compensation, it is generally up to the store manager to offer it and generally as BittyBoo has stated it typically is an in-store credit.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
OP stated that the vanity is installed and he simply wants to know if he's entitled to compensation for his troubles.

OP: you should write the company contacts and ask for a gift card toward a future purchase as a goodwill gesture. You received what you purchased and paid for (albeit in an untimely manner) and by installing the item you acknowledge that you are satisfied with the product you finally received.
Way to go, Miss Bitty! Reality rules. THIS is indeed his issue and you've responded to it with excellent advice. I still have mental images of this guy staggering in the front door of Lowes carrying in a huge vanity to try to solve this. Nope, not a good solution.