I loved Hotwire. I wish I know why they dumped me!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2016
Good day,
I will try to be brief. I had been doing business with Hotwire for 9 years. I spent thousands of dollars on airfares and hotel reservations. I recruited many friends to use hotwire.com because of the great customer service I received when I needed something done. Earlier in January, my wife made a reservation to fly and stay in Dubai for an interview..... She got there and the hotel reservation was cancelled due to "fraud". She has more info about that. Later on, I tried to make reservation as I had done for a while and the account can't be found. They gave me a number and an email address to call. The number was for their fraud protection or such. No one answered my vm or my emails. I am not aware of any fraud on the account. I feel like I am being treated as a criminal. I would like to clear my name.
I would like to clear my name and have the account restored. I would like them to discuss with me what went wrong on the account. Yes, I can do business with another company but from reading about the company, it sounds like they do this (no more contact) with any account holder who they suspect something about. Again, I am not aware of any problem on the account. I had been a satisfied customer for years. I feel like they dumped me! I would like to have my name cleared even if they don't wish to have me as a customer. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2015
Nazir,

Use the company contacts listed in the black bar at the top of the page. Write the first executive a brief, polite email asking why you were banned. Wait a week, if you get no response move onto the next one. Don't write them all and don't start with the CEO. Both decrease your chances of a successful resolution.

Good luck.

Feb 9, 2016
Good day,
I will try to be brief. I had been doing business with Hotwire for 9 years. I spent thousands of dollars on airfares and hotel reservations. I recruited many friends to use hotwire.com because of the great customer service I received when I needed something done. Earlier in January, my wife made a reservation to fly and stay in Dubai for an interview..... She got there and the hotel reservation was cancelled due to "fraud". She has more info about that. Later on, I tried to make reservation as I had done for a while and the account can't be found. They gave me a number and an email address to call. The number was for their fraud protection or such. No one answered my vm or my emails. I am not aware of any fraud on the account. I feel like I am being treated as a criminal. I would like to clear my name.
I would like to clear my name and have the account restored. I would like them to discuss with me what went wrong on the account. Yes, I can do business with another company but from reading about the company, it sounds like they do this (no more contact) with any account holder who they suspect something about. Again, I am not aware of any problem on the account. I had been a satisfied customer for years. I feel like they dumped me! I would like to have my name cleared even if they don't wish to have me as a customer. Thanks.
What a terrible situation. I'm glad you've suffered no serious injury. It does sting a bit when people assume you to be someone, or something, that you are not. I apologize, I am unfamiliar with hotwire. Are their perks associated with having a long standing account? Techno has advised you how to proceed in the best manner. I'm curious, why don't you just make a new account?

Dec 4, 2016
What a terrible situation. I'm glad you've suffered no serious injury. It does sting a bit when people assume you to be someone, or something, that you are not. I apologize, I am unfamiliar with hotwire. Are their perks associated with having a long standing account? Techno has advised you how to proceed in the best manner. I'm curious, why don't you just make a new account?
Thank you. The only perk they have when you are a frequent user is that when you call, I believe you are routed to a 2nd tier customer service which is really helpful. In this case, they just can't do anything as the account needs to be handled by their fraud department. Now, that department don't answer the phone and don't respond to emails. Very surprising. I thought it a glitch in the system so I started a new account. It lets you take the steps to make reservations and then it times out and says try again! I did that several times, then called. I guess the system recognizes you from name, email address, credit card or IP address; and rightly so. If you are dealing with a criminal, you want to make sure they are blocked, but I really don't know why I am blocked other than "the account is involved in fraud", which I am not aware of. Like I mentioned before, I spent many thousands of dollars and gotten great customer service from them.

Dec 4, 2016
Nazir,

Use the company contacts listed in the black bar at the top of the page. Write the first executive a brief, polite email asking why you were banned. Wait a week, if you get no response move onto the next one. Don't write them all and don't start with the CEO. Both decrease your chances of a successful resolution.

Good luck.
Thanks a million. I just did.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks a million. I just did.
@Nazir You said your wife booked and paid for a reservation and then arrived at the hotel in Dubai and it had been cancelled by Hotwire. Did you find out why that happened? it would be unusual to book another trip with them while that issue was still unresolved.

Is it possible that you or wife disputed the Dubai credit card charge (rightly so since your reservation had been canceled), so now Hotwire doesn't want to do business with you?

Reactions: jsn55
Dec 4, 2016
@Nazir You said your wife booked and paid for a reservation and then arrived at the hotel in Dubai and it had been cancelled by Hotwire. Did you find out why that happened? it would be unusual to book another trip with them while that issue was still unresolved.

Is it possible that you or wife disputed the Dubai credit card charge (rightly so since your reservation had been canceled), so now Hotwire doesn't want to do business with you?
Thanks for bring it up. She told me that when she got there she was told the reservation was cancelled by Hotwire. She called them and they told her she will need to talk to "Fraud Department". They refer to it as something else other than "Fraud" but that is what it means; kind of like "loss prevention" in retail. She was not able to find anyone to discuss the matter and I was not either, although I left several voice mails and sent at least 2 emails. Other than that, Hotwire had offered us great customer service in the past. I am really puzzled! Thank you though.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks for bring it up. She told me that when she got there she was told the reservation was cancelled by Hotwire. She called them and they told her she will need to talk to "Fraud Department". They refer to it as something else other than "Fraud" but that is what it means; kind of like "loss prevention" in retail. She was not able to find anyone to discuss the matter and I was not either, although I left several voice mails and sent at least 2 emails. Other than that, Hotwire had offered us great customer service in the past. I am really puzzled! Thank you though.
I'm confused. Don't you pay Hotwire at the same time you make a reservation? Did they refund the money for your wife's hotel room that they had cancelled? Do they keep your credit card on file? Is it possible that there was a problem with your credit card?

Internet ravel companies especially are extremely concerned about customer records and credit card information and will not hesitate to slap a 'fraud' hold on a card. I just went through this with a very well-known bank who issues lots of affinity cards. It took me nearly a year of emails and phone conversations to get them to stop declining my purchases for no discernible reason. It was just the one card - not an affinity card but their own card; none of my other cards from them were ever affected. I would have just cancelled the card, but the travel benefits are huge, so I really wanted to keep it. They never really did tell me what the problem was, I'm not sure that anyone knew. But they finally stopped inconveniencing me.

This may be a case of just not using Hotwire for a year or so, but I hope you can get some satisfaction from writing to the executives.

Reactions: AAGK and Nazir
Dec 4, 2016
I'm confused. Don't you pay Hotwire at the same time you make a reservation? Did they refund the money for your wife's hotel room that they had cancelled? Do they keep your credit card on file? Is it possible that there was a problem with your credit card?

Internet ravel companies especially are extremely concerned about customer records and credit card information and will not hesitate to slap a 'fraud' hold on a card. I just went through this with a very well-known bank who issues lots of affinity cards. It took me nearly a year of emails and phone conversations to get them to stop declining my purchases for no discernible reason. It was just the one card - not an affinity card but their own card; none of my other cards from them were ever affected. I would have just cancelled the card, but the travel benefits are huge, so I really wanted to keep it. They never really did tell me what the problem was, I'm not sure that anyone knew. But they finally stopped inconveniencing me.

This may be a case of just not using Hotwire for a year or so, but I hope you can get some satisfaction from writing to the executives.
Thank for the input. I believe the amount was refunded. They did not keep any of our money. Yes, you pay when you make the reservation. We did have several credit cards on file with them depending on if the trip is personal or for business.

Dec 4, 2016
I believe we were never out any money. She is overseas now and I believe the refund was issued automatically when the reservation was cancelled or reversed before she should up to the hotel. I don't recall how long before she traveled she made that reservation. Again, we are not out any money. I just feel like we were treated like criminals and want to know what kind of fraud the account was supposedly involved in, because the last transaction we did with Hotwire before the Dubai incident was just fine and service had always been great.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unlike when you use a real travel agent, an OTA rarely offers reasons or information. Theirs is a faceless numbers game, and they process literally millions of transactions. Follow our advice and write to them; hopefully you'll get an explanation. Good luck.

Reactions: joycexyz
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I'm
I believe we were never out any money. She is overseas now and I believe the refund was issued automatically when the reservation was cancelled or reversed before she should up to the hotel. I don't recall how long before she traveled she made that reservation. Again, we are not out any money. I just feel like we were treated like criminals and want to know what kind of fraud the account was supposedly involved in, because the last transaction we did with Hotwire before the Dubai incident was just fine and service had always been great.
@Nazir Perhaps Hotwire cancelled to protect your account. As @jsn55 said, companies and card issuers have become very cautious. I have to verify charges all the time.

Perhaps Hotwire was concerned bc your wife traveled and used a card associated with your account/email? Many companies would block a credit card under those circumstances. Apple, PayPal and many other companies do this.

Dec 4, 2016
I'm

@Nazir Perhaps Hotwire cancelled to protect your account. As @jsn55 said, companies and card issuers have become very cautious. I have to verify charges all the time.

Perhaps Hotwire was concerned bc your wife traveled and used a card associated with your account/email? Many companies would block a credit card under those circumstances. Apple, PayPal and many other companies do this.
It would be great to have Hotwire concerned about my privacy and wanting to protect my account. Shouldn't they say, (hey we are glad to are contacting us. Let's set some things straight. There was such and such attempt but now that we know it was not you and you are ready to book your next trip, how can we help you); rather than just blocking the account and ignoring all contacts I had tried with them!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It would be great to have Hotwire concerned about my privacy and wanting to protect my account. Shouldn't they say, (hey we are glad to are contacting us. Let's set some things straight. There was such and such attempt but now that we know it was not you and you are ready to book your next trip, how can we help you); rather than just blocking the account and ignoring all contacts I had tried with them!
That would be lovely, Nazir, but you can't obtain much customer service from a deep-discount internet travel provider. The two concepts are completely incompatible. That's how they can offer those discounts. Entities like HotWire probably don't even have a customer service department. Theirs is a volume business. Get 'er done and move on.

Reactions: AAGK
Dec 4, 2016
That would be lovely, Nazir, but you can't obtain much customer service from a deep-discount internet travel provider. The two concepts are completely incompatible. That's how they can offer those discounts. Entities like HotWire probably don't even have a customer service department. Theirs is a volume business. Get 'er done and move on.
OF course the transactions were automated and internet based. However, when there was an issue, and I had to call them, customer service was top notch. In fact, after a while, my call was routed to a second tier customer service to serve high frequency users, which was really great. Customer service from their fraud department is a whole different story. I emailed them again and their response was the same, you have to leave a message on the phone number provided and whatever decision they come up with, it is final. Of course, my voice mails have not been returned. I very mush doubt that this is what the company leadership wants to handle things though.
As an owner of a small business, I want to know when things don't work out for my customers. At some time in the past, Hotwire was a small business.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
OF course the transactions were automated and internet based. However, when there was an issue, and I had to call them, customer service was top notch. In fact, after a while, my call was routed to a second tier customer service to serve high frequency users, which was really great. Customer service from their fraud department is a whole different story. I emailed them again and their response was the same, you have to leave a message on the phone number provided and whatever decision they come up with, it is final. Of course, my voice mails have not been returned. I very mush doubt that this is what the company leadership wants to handle things though.
As an owner of a small business, I want to know when things don't work out for my customers. At some time in the past, Hotwire was a small business.
@Nazir The fraud department isn't customer friendly bc it's not customer service. Fraud just verifies transactions as quickly as possible. Back to your original issue, did your wife make her booking with her own Hotwire account or through yours? I'm sorry if you answered this but if the credit card she used is one you have previously used for bookings, fraud may have blocked the card and cancelled her reservation.

If you believe some version of this scenario occurred, I would contact Hotwire for the Fraud dept's certified mailing address/fax and send front and back of your driver's license, credit card and perhaps a bank statement to that same address. Personally, I wouldn't bother sharing that info and just move on to the world of booking direct. You will find much better service there. However, if you are determined to stick with Hotwire, that's the only idea I have.