I had an unknown ticket on Spirit and they won't let me cancel!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 16, 2019
On May 5, I tried to purchase a round-trip ticket on Spirit Airlines from Los Angeles to Austin from May 18 to June 15. I was unable to give my credit card details because the Spirit Airlines website didn't allow enough characters for me to write my full name (I could only type "RICHAR" not "RICHARD"), so I purchased a ticket on American Airlines. Just now, 11 days later, I was shocked to receive an email from Spirit with the subject "Purchase Bags For Your Upcoming Flight" and a confirmation code: Hxxxxx. Prior to this, I never received any confirmation. I obviously wouldn't have purchased a ticket on American Airlines had I known the ticket was booked on Spirit! I would like a full reimbursement, but customer service says they won't refund anything and all they can give me is $20 toward another flight.

Edited by a moderator to remove confirmation number

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2019
How did Spirit charge you if you didn't give them your credit card details?
Strangely, my credit card details appeared to have gone through even without my full name being typed up.
I didn't know that it went through because there was no confirmation message on the website, nor a confirmation email until 11 days later.

May 16, 2019
Didn’t you notice a charge from Spirit on your credit card?
No, because I never checked my credit card (except after I received that email 11 days later). I really didn't think it would be possible to charge on my credit card when my full name wasn't written out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You had to have hit Enter during this for your card to be charged. I can’t understand how a short name like Richard didn’t fit in the first name box but they go by the last name, zip code and three digit security code.

We have company contacts on top of our page, you can try writing to them and asking them to cancel the ticket, especially if you didn’t receive an email until 11 days later. Have you checked your spam box to see if the original was caught in spam?

Reactions: FrankL183
May 16, 2019
You had to have hit Enter during this for your card to be charged. I can’t understand how a short name like Richard didn’t fit in the first name box but they go by the last name, zip code and three digit security code.

We have company contacts on top of our page, you can try writing to them and asking them to cancel the ticket, especially if you didn’t receive an email until 11 days later. Have you checked your spam box to see if the original was caught in spam?
Yes, I hit enter but I didn't think it went through because I didn't see any confirmation. My full name on my credit card is Immanuel Manu Richard and so I could only type "Immanuel Manu Richar". There was only one box given for entering my full name as it appears on my credit card.

I checked my spam and I also checked my trash to see if I had mistakenly deleted an email. There was nothing.

Thank you for your kind help.